Hotfix build 79600 is live!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, March 12, 2015.

1. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

It's probably the hardest bug to reproduce so far in development, and they can't fix it without a 100% reproduction .
  2. valentinmetz

valentinmetz New Member

In my opinion, only friendly units should be able to walk through walls.
  3. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

You're not alone :)
  4. elodea

elodea Post Master General

stop command doesn't work on astreus if you assist it with avengers or whatever. Gets pushed to the ends of the earth.

holkins don't fire at their max range at units within their range circle
  5. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

And also artillery doesnt seem to want to work with the intel provided by the vision cheat mod
  6. tesseracta

tesseracta Active Member

That is probably one of the oldest bugs I know of.

Here are a few bugs that might want to be fixed:

-Water units can land on water that isn't deep enough for it to swim through when dropped off by something that can carry units

-Unit cannons should be able to be placed on water, although I've already mentioned this probably a million times and in my signature as well so it's probably spam as of now (although it would be a really good idea, read my thread)

-When attempting an area attack with nukes it won't allow for more than half the planet to be covered, aka the side you can normally see (on bigger [probably {around and above} 400 radius] planets)

-(Known bug) Units getting stuck between too closely put together factories

-Point of no return for planets which are being halley'ed towards other planets, but then the planet which is going to be hit, moves far away enough from the halley'ed planet, and the planet which is chasing has no choice but to follow, and it can't be canceled even though the planets might be more than half a solar system apart by the time you want to cancel it and maybe re-target. The reason why this would be a major bug is because when the other planet is using the sun as a "planet blocking" mechanism (which I can successfully do all the time) and there is nothing the other player can do to stop the planet and try and re-target when the planets aren't really that close, they are pretty much on opposite sides of the sun. The reason why you might want to stop the planet that is going toward the sun is because it is headed straight into the sun as long as the planet trying to use the sun as a blocking mechanism is still using it's own halleys to move. (and the planet that is running away HAS to be moving because otherwise the planet chasing the planet running away will maneuver around the sun either horizontally or vertically). But, please do not "fix" (if it is not a bug already) the fact that you can use the sun as a blocking mechanism (sun block :rolleyes:). If anything in this doesn't make sense and it's all jibber jabber, then ask me to make a long story short later (only if you need me to) because I'm kinda about to start a PA game.
    elodea likes this.
  7. elodea

1. Dynamic alliance is broken, doesn't work
    2. Halleys are broken, stop midway to target and cannot be reactivated.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: March 29, 2015
    warrenkc likes this.
  8. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

Can fireflys see mines
  9. KnavishPlum

KnavishPlum Active Member

Thank you for this picture, I forgot there was even a mini map until seeing this :D

Also is it just me, or does the Red team seem a little paler in color?
  10. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

No, just the advanced and basic combat fabber bot and the land scout (Skitter).
  11. elodea

Yea, there are so many bugs in the game right now and it seems like the reality is that they just don't have the resources or man hours to fix most of them. Some seem like they would require some serious rework on the engine. Oh well, sad but understandable i guess.
    Remy561 likes this.
  12. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

Damn this is really sad to see the game's playability regress so far at a time when the active community is so thin. :(
    warrenkc likes this.
  13. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Oh I am pretty sure Uber has the manpower to fix at least most of them. It just seems they put in work for save/load and some other unannounced things instead.
    warrenkc and elodea like this.
  14. philoscience

Every time I hear about the save/load feature I groan. I literally cannot count on one hand the number of times I wanted or needed a save function in this game. Seems like such a massive waste of resources when there is so much else to be done. I wish this game could have explicitly focused on multiplayer instead of trying to cater to both crowds.
    warrenkc and Planktum like this.
  15. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

It's a reality that no RTS ever can survive just from multiplayer.
  16. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

If you think about it save load is a much bigger deal than just player save load functionality.

The pa engine is a platform, and ssave load is a core capability that leads into other areas such as scenarios with pre existing units. That could allow the creation of missions and challenges and eventually even a campaign mode.... It could be the underpinnings of a fully revamped gw mode, I think uber is being quite shrewd getting this in now as it gives them new options moving forward...
    perfectdark, warrenkc and tenaciousc like this.
  17. philoscience

Yeah, you make a good point there, getting this core functionality might have some really important consequences for the engine as a whole. I can't help but feel like they probably have a very long list of things to do and a very limited amount of time to do them in though. Hypothetically having save/load might lead to lots of great stuff, but if the plug gets pulled in 6 months (not saying it will) then we're stuck with an only partially complete save function and a bunch of other unpolished core features. But that's all hypotheticals, we'll have to see what happens and you could very well be correct.

As for surviving only on multiplayer; I think gaming markets and consumer behaviors are very dynamic right now. We're seeing a lot of new spaces open up that didn't exist 5 or 10 years ago. I think it is possible that a totally dedicated-to-purpose PA might have survived and even done better than a jack-of-all-trades version, if the trade-off had been a much more deeply balanced and polished game, ladder, etc. I can't recall very many single-player focused players who have very much nice to say about the game. Instead it seems like the core fanbase is almost entirely multiplayer focused, and most of the single players came, complained, and left. I know that '90% of all games played are single player', so maybe single player really drove the sales more than anything else, but I think PA would have fared better if it had managed to attract a solid and very active userbase focused on the esports side, and this would have led to a more reliable monetization than a big all in scoop of single player purchases who then later bailed due to missing features or complexity.

Anyway this is all pure speculation on my part. It's likely the kickstarter itself would have failed without a strong single-player pitch, so my argument would be moot. In the end I wish indie developers could get loads of money to build projects with reasonably focused and achievable goals, rather than needing to promise everything to succeed.
  18. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Considering something like 80-90% of lobby games were single-player games, a focused PA probably wouldn't be the multiplayer experience you're hoping for.
  19. elodea

I dont know if it's already reported, but yea torpedoes don't damage factories.
    Quitch likes this.
  20. mck3ni

mck3ni New Member

I am not able to post links - 1st reply, sorry.

I created a "symmetrical" random map, playing against AI, and it offered 2 starting points like this...

i.imgur.com/A2q18Kh.jpg

...and the AI started like this, at a much better starting position.

i.imgur.com/4fEEKLt.jpg

This was a skirmish.

What I hate in Galactic War:
    -Unequality. I want to fight the AI with the same or +1 tech level. GW loadouts are just jokes.
    -You need a GIANT LUCK in the galactic map. I am unable to get plus slots, especially on a small map. I hate, i have to get rid of a tech, if i want to have my basic units. Absulutely Not fun. Maybe if i could travel back and aquire it later, but slots are still very few.
    -You can ABANDON WAR from the game menu! I dont want to do that over there! I just want the option to restart the same game, or use chrono cam (with limited and/or in a timeframe) to continue from a selected point.
    -If commander dies, the whole war ends. I get mad, and dont want to play GW for months. I dont want to backup my profile outside PA after every game.
    -Newcomers will fail GW. Are there stats there, how many people managed to have plus loadouts? I only managed to do that with continous backupping/restoring my profile.

This game has such a huge single player/tutorial potential, but with the GW design and symmetrical maps with not symmetrical starting points, it just wont happen.

btw, I love PA.