Hotfix build 77725 now live

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, January 30, 2015.

1. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

Had an Jigg chain explosion, I really loved it!! It makes them a very high output but very dangerous to build unit ^^
  2. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

oh, I don't get that issue, and that's not what my original comment was about...
  3. wondible

wondible Post Master General

It may be worth noting that OS X version was already prone to randomly crashing, even when it was completely idle, say in the game lobby. The last stable version was actually pretty good - I had it on for a few hours while modding over the weekend, and there was only one crash while I was doing stuff in game.

So basically there is precedent for memory corruption and other such scary errors, which tend to move around with each build.

The most reliable crash I know right now is system import/export; perhaps investigate that and see if something more general turns up while working on it.
    badfucatus likes this.
  4. mikeyh

mikeyh Post Master General

My experience was the same... sometimes it would just crash in the lobby.

Most of my crashes were at game start and during heavy interaction.

Static spectating of AI games seemed to be mostly immune from crashes.

Have you noticed a frame rate improvement with this build?
  5. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

devoh likes this.
  6. takfloyd

takfloyd Active Member

No mods. And no there is no more recent server log. This one must have been from when I got prompted to exit to install the new update.

In case you didn't catch it, I did manage to create a game on the fifth or so try. I would wager the problem is not exclusive to this new patch and instead is just the usual bad server connections, since we also got extreme lag in game once we got one going.
  7. badfucatus

badfucatus Active Member

Just an idea here, couldn't there be a simpler way to report bugs/crashes in PTE. Could that be a thing? Like we all know what we're letting yourselves into when we test the various builds, so couldn't someone add a doodad that automatically sends crashes and wot nots back to Uber from the PTE build?
    I mainly ask because I was just about to ask someone in the Mac sub forum to write an IDIOTS guide to uploading crash log thingies, but thinking it over this would be simpler... well for me anyways.

sorry for the use of overly technical language.
    whisperr likes this.
  8. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

PA does that kind of thing already afaik
  9. badfucatus

badfucatus Active Member

Ok cool. So why do they need the crash logs? I have a devil of a problem finding them on my mac, and after it crashes my kinda cool 'wanna help' self vanishes, especially after spending fifteen fruitless minutes trying to find the right thing to post.
  10. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

The PA logs that can be found in "~/Library/Application Support/Uber Entertainment/Planetary Annihilation/log" are helpful because they contain a link to the crash dump and some additional info. They are especially if you can say what you did just prior the crash. Even more so if you can get PA to crash consistently by doing the same thing.
  11. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

Crashes are automatically uploaded, and are often enough by themselves to fix the issue. Sometimes however a crash is caused by a minor bug that happened before the crash which caused a cascading error. Other times they can be useful for helping reproduce an error. I'm not sure why we don't upload the log when we upload the crash, and having the dxdiag (or equivalent) info in the log has been on the todo list for a long time, it just has never percolated to the top.
    stuart98, devoh and Remy561 like this.
  12. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Perhaps it should be moved up? Could save time later by putting some in now. (Though I haven't a clue how hard it is to do.)

All the information!
    badfucatus and whisperr like this.
  13. jables

jables Uber Employee

updated op

Hotfix build 77673
    - Fix for asynch parallel crash
    - Fix for nav crash
    - Fix for lobby crash (players are now forced to be spectator if there are no more client spots)
    - Reduction in memory footprint of Save Replay
    - Fix "Chat" showing up for contacts you can't chat with
    devoh, zihuatanejo, Remy561 and 4 others like this.
  14. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

Save replay, Can we?
  15. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

If you figure out how to do it from local servers yes. A few month ago I had that working, but when I tried like a few weeks ago I just could not get it to work anymore. Dunno. But in general you can only save replays from local games and only via parameter hackery.
  16. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Still have the OS X PA Stats rotate crash. It's not inconveniencing me personally, but I can reproduce it.
    websterx01 likes this.
  17. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

If I recall correctly, this is a coherent issue that we cannot do anything about until coherent gives us a new build.
  18. devoh

devoh Well-Known Member

Is that a ninja added feature? It's possible I missed the memo :D
  19. devoh

devoh Well-Known Member

@jables you forgot the date :D
  20. jables

jables Uber Employee

Mainly on our side. We do save every replay so that you can watch them.
    Remy561 likes this.