Hitting planets with other objects should not destroy units in space.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tberthel, March 10, 2014.

1. tberthel

tberthel New Member

Hitting planets with other objects should not destroy units in space. Hubble space telescope would survive the moon hitting earth so why wouldn't more advanced space fighters and such?
    karolus10 and stormingkiwi like this.
  2. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

I actually think orbital units should fling out into space and randomly explode due to the force of impact. So orbital icons would fly away from the impacted object and explode.

I don't care much for realism. As long as it looks cool, i'm fine with it.
    timp13, tberthel and tatsujb like this.
  3. ironcobra81

ironcobra81 New Member

Because of distance. The Hubble telescope would definitely be effected if the moon hit the Earth. The moon would change mass of the planet. Effectively making its gravitational pull stronger. Sience lesson aside.

Figure this. If a celestial body hit the earth. The shock and thermal wave would envelope the planet. Keep this in mind. The shock wave is not liner. It travels out 360 degrees. The satellites would also receive a shock. If not a thermal wave. Anything in the *geostationary* or *Clark orbit* of a planet would be obliterated if a celestial body large enough to instantly kill everything hit it. Period.

EDIT. By the way. The Hubble is only about 350 miles above the surface of the Earth. So bye-bye Hubble.
  4. Methlodis

Methlodis Active Member

Also not to mention that mass debris that escape the atmosphere and enter earth's orbit in such high volume. The debris would circle earth entirely and shred apart most things in orbit. Especially anything man or Commander made :p
    killzone5017002 and Geers like this.
  5. killzone5017002

killzone5017002 Active Member

Thank you! I was going to say the same exact thing haha
  6. Methlodis

Methlodis Active Member

The main idea behind this is the Kessler Syndrome, in which humans have thrown mass amount of debris into space that will, if continued to collect up there unabated will make traveling outside earth nearly impossible. Basically so much junk, traveling at such high speeds, anything impacted by it will be destroyed. Many satellites are destroyed by this even today.

A moon or planet smashing into earth that it would basically throw up more debris than all humanity has put in so far all at once and surround the earth for a while with objects of all sizes flinging around the earth at credulous speeds destroying each other and anything in their path. And the more they shred and break apart, the smaller the pieces are that can break more things. And would keep happening until the objects start orbiting themselves into a disk that surrounds the planet. The entire event would definitely destroy any PA satellites around the planet. Not sure if a meteor or asteroid will have enough mass or force to do this though, but PA just deals with planets.

On that note, a graphical system where after a planet/moon hits a disk of debris would form around it. And if a moon orbiting a planet is hit, the debris would form around the main planet.
    vyolin and Geers like this.
  7. aevs

aevs Post Master General

Oh no it wouldn't, not even close.[​IMG]
    I'm fine with orbital getting wrecked by asteroids. It's easy to avoid anyway; select all your orbital units and send them somewhere else before the collision and you're golden.
    Geers likes this.
  8. onyxia2

onyxia2 Member

But the moon is so massive, wouldn't the Earth loss mass? I mean comets or asteroid would destroy life on Earth, the Moon would blow up the Earth or a huge side of the Earth. Everything in the Earth/collision would fly back out to space so it would lose mass and the Earth would turn into this half lava planet where the Core of the Earth could be seen through the crater from space lol o_O
  9. Geers

Geers Post Master General

There's MASSIVE amounts of energy involved. The two bodies would essentially become molten and fuse together.
  10. onyxia2

onyxia2 Member

cool, I just wish PA planets turn molten lava like that when collisions occur, even the Ice planets. Another question now that its possible to move any planet with halleys as long as its setup to be moved in the planet editor thingy. What would happen if Venus smashed into the Earth being the same size? Would the planets than completely disintegrate?
  11. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

seems pretty obvious to me following the theory of how the moon formed that no orbital unit (lest the unit be at 90° on each side from the angle at which the KEW hit and even then) be spared from the billions upon billions of meteorites that would shoot out into space (alot of them would start orbiting said planet and create a very mean Kessler effect).

I don't think any orbital unit could survive this climate.
    Last edited: March 10, 2014
  12. Geers

Geers Post Master General

You'd end up with a bigger planet and maybe a moon or two, or some rings.
  13. tberthel

tberthel New Member

I understand that many current man made things in orbit would burn up if the moon hit earth, but small asteroids hitting earth would not. So the amount destroyed should be determined by the mass and velocity of the projectile. Also, spacecraft may not always be so brittle. We only have that issue now because of the cost to lift mass. So ships and such built in space should be hardened to blast and radiation as they will have much higher mass and protection from thermal or radiation changes.

Conclusion:

1. Let the orbital launched craft explode since they are brittle.
    2. Make the orbital built crafts be hardened and not likely to explode.

Hubble would in fact survive most possible asteroid impacts as it is very high up unless it was directly above the impact zone.
    Last edited: March 31, 2014
  14. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

The OP fails to make a gameplay argument, so no.
    philoscience likes this.
  15. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

While realistically they would be destroyed.

But is that fun?
    Devak likes this.
  16. tberthel

tberthel New Member

The gameplay argument is that it doesn't seem sensible to lose every orbital craft which causes a loss of immersion into the game. If the moon did hit earth I bet at least 1 sat would survive. It might get burned or pushed into a new orbit but it would still function.
  17. tberthel

tberthel New Member

I think this would be an acceptable solution with some surviving.
  18. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

That's not a gameplay argument.
  19. tberthel

tberthel New Member

Immersion into a pretend world is the gameplay. So no your wrong.
  20. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

No I agree, you lose everything in land and air layers. There isn't much usefull stuff you can have in orbital layer. It's not unreasonable to request the orbital layer be spared. Seconded.