Help me!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by guy325, March 19, 2016.

1. guy325

guy325 New Member

F.Y.I. I am not playing titans. i am playing the original game on steam.
  2. guy325

guy325 New Member

would this count?
  3. mwreynolds

mwreynolds Well-Known Member

I don't think have the paging file on a external hard drive will help much if at all.
    You should keep your paging file on your hard drive. If your short on space you need to move other files onto your external hard drive.
    Maybe using readyboost on a usb flash drive could help your pc a little better in genreal, but won't help PA since it really needs more RAM ( with is random access memory and is alot faster than any external hard drive.
    Last edited: March 29, 2016
  4. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

No it wont help..
    It will expand upon the memory the game has access to.. BUT pagefile/virtual memory is so slow it's essentially useless for anything that requires real-time access to the information that should be stored in real ram.

This is because of the speed that HDD read and write, it's not even close to the speed at which ram operates,
    A HDD can access data and write data at speeds of up to 120mb per second, ram read write speeds are closer to 10Gb per second...
    That means HDD based RAM like a pagefile will operate at about 1 hundredth of the speed of real RAM.

Edit..
    Even SSD's wont compete when being used as paged ram..
    Fastest SSD speeds Aprox. 500mb per second are still only 1/20th of the speed of say DDR3
    Last edited: March 30, 2016