[Gunner] Mastah's Guide - wiki wiki, hurry up!

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Strategy and Tactics' started by Mastah, January 19, 2011.

1. verden

verden New Member

A lot of truth to what you're saying, but I wouldn't say good players have ease with dodging. At the end it's all about who's got the best prediction. As for slam, I've got to admit it has become more a scare tactic rather than a killing tool, so I might start using grapple. :)
  2. ricefrog

ricefrog New Member

verden, I also play with mortar as the main weapon. Not sure if that means we have a similar overall style or not.

But minigun definitely needs to be swapped in to accomplish a specific task or slay a certain pro many times in any given match. It's just too powerful to ignore.

Other than that, I use the mortar. It allows me to move swiftly across the map while casually dropping zone-controlling damage far and wide. And there's no crippling hangover like after a night on the town with the minigun.

What a slayer she is, though. Even though I have the mighty mortar out 90% of the time, my kills still break down as 50% minigun, 30% mortar, 20% slam/grapple/ringout.

I was looking over a game tape because I'd felt real weak during some embarrassing reloads, so what the hell, I threw it on youtube because it's one of my most minigun-heavy games ever, so you can see the sort of cases where even a mortar player thinks the minigun is best to use:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bXuS1KgIKo

does *NOT* have:

- minigun play to learn from, unless you learn from mistakes
    - good demonstration of mortar's ability to push

but it has:

- play style including switches
    - examples of new grapple, vs players and bots (i love the way it hits bots!)
    - my patented pub opening for spunky
    - a double flapjack!!

i know there's tons of mistakes, and feel free to point some out, not upset to have a replay ripped up as long as it's civil.

here's my personal favorite mistake:

part of running a tape for me is, after i've seen it a few times, zoom though and note where the shields go down/up. if they go back up ever, i scrutinize the 30 seconds leading up to it. what was i doing wrong when i should have been doing right by the enemy moneyball?

in this video, the one and only you-let-the-shields-up 30 second block starts just after i push the annihilator at 3:10.

and what do you know... there i was pushing a wave of bots in to the enemy defense, and i had the advantage, when suddenly i switched to the minigun to take out an enemy gunner.

next thing i knew, i was narrowly focused on killing a specific pro - NOT the pro i pulled out the mini for - rather than pushing the line forward inch by exploding inch toward glorious victory.

the whole attack fizzles because of this, and up go the shields.

compare with the push after the second annihilator where i don't make that same mistake! (and note the enemy minigunner who runs and hides inside the spawn door to wait out the mortar rain with his minigun out, watching his ball drop through the spawn bars.)
  3. verden

verden New Member

I think my kill percentage for the gunner has about 80 % dedicated to the minigun. So I do use it. Although I still consider mortar my primary cause it's the one that rips your health apart and then you finish off with the mini. :D

You seem to know your way around handling it though. The only thing I would really comment is how it's all kind of flawed if they have a decent sniper. Personally I find gunners to be the easiest targets, so had you been jumping around in the open like that against a decent sniper. Well I'd have to give the edge to the sniper, even though it all depends on how well you hit with the mortar, lol.

but other than that, thumbs up!
  4. Mastah

Mastah New Member

Switching is the key ;)
  5. Raconteur02

Raconteur02 New Member

Question - should I be using my minigun or my mortars against the MoneyBall? I'm not able to discern which one is better.
  6. ricefrog

ricefrog New Member

Minigun earns money against the moneyball much faster, even than triple-split range mortars and WAY more than close-up mortars.

I am not 100% certain that cash income = damage vs moneyball, but I personally always use the minigun vs the moneyball when I am seeking damage. Sometimes I'll pop one mortar shot at it to reset the shields, but it won't do much damage.

Which is strange because I've heard that the assault's grenade launcher is like the #1 damaging weapon vs the ball in the entire game!
  7. Arkanfel

Arkanfel New Member

Another thing you might mention in the guide is Slam's usefulness in avoiding ring-outs. If the damage from, say, an Assault's grapple won't kill me outright and I know it, I can slam as soon as he throws me to avoid flying out of the ring, assuming my back is to the boundary of course. You have to hit it at just the right time because you'll be moving pretty fast, but it's an awesome move if you can pull it off.
  8. ricefrog

ricefrog New Member

Yeah Arf has a great point there, saved my life many times with that little trick. Another thing slam can do is if you DO get ringed out (rung out?) you can slam to die faster and cut a few seconds off your respawn time.

Also regarding slam, there is the counter-flapjack: a gunner is easiest to flapjack the instant after he tries to flapjack you! I've been on both ends of that one... so be careful flapjacking gunners.

Tanks, on the other hand..... it's like you can either spend ten minutes chipping away at their health, or just one-shot them with a flapjack and get on with your life! ;)
  9. verden

verden New Member

Use the minigun. Mortar isn't nearly as deadly in close combat, can't imagine it be different with the moneyball, not sure, but I use the minigun :)
  10. Mastah

Mastah New Member

Yes, only use your minigun when hitting the moneyball. Also, Juice + gold clipsize (only when in Overtime for me) is amazing :)

As for ring-outs, it almost never happens to me. Main reason being that I try to be aware of everything happening around me. If a Tank / Assault is getting close enough to try a Charge / Grapple, just use your jet jumps like crazy and try to get on a higher position. The closer the'll get to you without hitting you with their charge, the easier it will be to destroy them in 1-2 seconds. (Never forget pre-spinning!)
  11. verden

verden New Member

Love it when assassins come running behind you all stealthy and what not, and BOOM they're outta here! Going all: "OMG BUT YO WASN'T EVEN LOOKINGZZZ?!!?!"
    "As right as you are, my headphones are plugged in."
  12. Arth

Arth New Member

easily solved by jumping 1's ;)
  13. verden

verden New Member

Yes, I see that a lot if they face the confrontation, my point is when they're surprised. Cause you're not "paying attention". :D
  14. Mastah

Mastah New Member

Always use the slam while in the air. It's way less predictable than the slam on the ground, and provides a lot of pancakes :)
  15. verden

verden New Member

You seem to be missing the point -.-'
  16. hickwarrior

hickwarrior New Member

oh yummy, I love pancakes. Wish they gave more money for it though.

So, minigun does more damage than mortar to the MB? I thought it'd do more, but apparently not. Juice build up's delicious though, so I guess that's the other thing you wanna have.
  17. Mastah

Mastah New Member

Nah, I didn't ;) Just meant to say that jump + slam is way less predictable than slam alone. The comment was not directed at you, it was more a comment for people reading this thread :)
  18. x gr1m x reap3r x

x gr1m x reap3r x New Member

just played a match with you lol i was the talking jet ski when this guy was saying you were "hacking", nice guide though :D you went over all the needed strategies pretty well
  19. Mastah

Mastah New Member

Yes I remember you :) It was quite funny to see half of the people calling me a hacker, with statements such as "You instantly turn 360", "you have no recoil turned on" and so on... But the funniest comment was the following one :D

Attached Files:

20. Arkanfel

Arkanfel New Member

I lol'd at this.