Gunner Grapple Use Found

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 General Discussion' started by TOM12121112, October 28, 2010.

1. DeadEye

DeadEye New Member

I do that a lot. It's hilarious to get a few kills, run away from a battle while you hear the cloaked hoe behind ya. Do some stuff that makes her think you're not aware, jump, slam, laughter.
  2. Snappyguy

Snappyguy New Member

I keep it at Level 1 so I can grapple + slam then taunt till the run around to my back.
  3. Rev Rabies

Rev Rabies New Member

Yeah, if an assassin grabs you, it's nice to grab them, then slam
  4. nailhead04

nailhead04 New Member

I've been using the Mortar grapple then reg. grapple technique. Its really funny and people don't expect it.
  5. MojoTeq

MojoTeq New Member

I absolutely LOVE the mortar grapple. I could give a **** less about the red grapple.
  6. IlliniJen

IlliniJen New Member

So...I decided to work on getting the gunner grapple tags. Started with 8 grapples on Friday, now up to 60 or so. Gunner grapple is not useless, although I'm disappointed with the level 3 damage (should do more than the sniper grapple, IMHO).

BTW, mortar grapple does not count towards the gunner grapple tag. Unhappy face.

There's nothing more satisfying than clocking an assassin with the gunner grapple because it's unexpected. I am so off of the "gunner grapple is useless" train.
  7. rudigarmc

rudigarmc New Member

You guys are just now finding out about this? I've been doing it since the beginning...
  8. BroTranquilty

BroTranquilty New Member

or you could just use your minigun to kill. if they are within grapple range, you could have already killed them 18 times with a minigun, 23 times if it was spun up.

literally only use for grapple is to double-grapple juicers... and then spin them up with the minigun.

PS did deadeye reply first to this? sounds like he troll'ed you.
  9. nailhead04

nailhead04 New Member

^^^^^^^^^^
    Grapple is not useless. It is much easier to take out a shotgunning support or an assassinn right after they grapple you over minigun up close...especially if you're not spun up. I used to never use grapple now i always get it to lvl 2 at least.
  10. IlliniJen

IlliniJen New Member

Grapple is so not useless. An example: a tank charged me, stopped short of hitting me, but I was down on life, not spun up (retreating to reload) and would be dead meat to a jet gun in my face...I used lv 3 Barry Bonds grapple which batted him down the map a bit and allowed me to finish him off from a safe distance.

I'm tellin' y'all...I converted into a believer this weekend. Hallelujah, amen and all that...I caught the holy spirit and now GUNNER GRAPPLE IS MY LORD AND SAVIOR. /insert talking in tongues here

I suppose it might not be your typical pro-style ZOMG MY KDR IS 1,982,771:1 I'M SO MUCH BETTER THAN YOU RANDY NOOB TRYHARD (NOW INSERT COMMENT ABOUT HOW MY SOCIAL LIFE IS BETTER THAN YOURS AS WELL) type of play, but it's FUN. Taking a non-used, dissed skill and putting it to use is fun.
  11. rudigarmc

rudigarmc New Member

Yes, being in the pit, and moving around, as oppose to simply finding a spot and kill farming, I have always known grapple is effective. I love using a slam grapple combo on assassins that miss with a front stab.
  12. nailhead04

nailhead04 New Member

What Ill said...it's really fun to use a skill that people talk **** about AND don't expect. I survive up close encounters with tanks ALOT more now. Nothing better than missing a slam on an assassin only to Grand Slam them out of the ring when they think they got ya. I have been upgrading this before slam 3 now.
  13. RACIN N420N

RACIN N420N New Member

I haven't used the gunner a lot lately, and almost never grapple with him, but this thread gives me a new hope! I think I'll try a little harder to get the grapples in, I usually try to keep my distance when I use the gunner.... I do quite often up it to LVL2, just to have something else in case I'm out of options (slam cooldown, reloading, etc.)

I think it was the speaking in tongues that got me lol.....

I went to a church thing once years ago with a friend, because there was this cute little religious girl there I was workin on.... Well as the thing went on, her mom started talking in tongues... :shock: Weirdest thing I have probably seen! Didn't know wtf was goin on haha... Needless to say, I don't think I saw that girl ever again :lol:
  14. IlliniJen

IlliniJen New Member

Obviously, it's a skill that's tailor made for face-grappling assassins. If you're only concerned with kills, you may be disappointed that a lv 3 grapple will not kill off an assassin or sniper with armor...but you can ring them out or at least get them off of you, and they'll have a pixel of health left (maddening!). Sure...it's not a slam followed up by minigunning a stunned player, but I'd rather grapple and maybe not kill 'em with style than do the same thing all the time, which is slam-n-shoot.

I love to mortar slam bots, especially bouncers. There's something so cute about butt-slamming something with the gunner. It makes me giggle.

And yes, I will now sometimes upgrade passive AND grapple to 2 right off the bat if I see 2+ assassins in a match. I'M SUCH A NOOB RANDY MCTRYHARD!!! Upgrade grapple without getting to passive 3 first?! BLASPHEMY! But, you know what, it works, especially on LazeRazer and Steel Peel.

It's gotten so bad that I actually will say "here kitty, kitty...it's just lil' ol' me, a gunner, in the middle of the map, looking so helpless, gosh, I hope an assassin doesn't try to kill me," or some other such silliness into the mic when I'm partied up.

Now, all I need is an ESPNesque catchphrase for a gunner grapple kill.
  15. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Indeed it is. It's one of those things that after you pull it off you are grinning from ear to ear.
  16. UberGunner

UberGunner New Member

You're basically talking about grappling people who don't know how to play MNC. You won't get any (significant number of) grapple kills against skilled enemies.

Wanna know what the essential difference is between slam and grapple? Slam works very well right out of the box. It's almost always a free kill when you hit someone (the exception being a gunner that you should have been shooting).

It's way easier to pretend not to see assassins and hit slam than it is to try and grapple them. It's also a cheaper and more effective way to get ring outs.

If you Honestly like the gunner grapple so much then why were you complaining in the other thread about its damage?
  17. IlliniJen

IlliniJen New Member

I think you've missed my point about gunner grapple: I don't care about KDR, I care about fun, so if grapple is inefficient as opposed to slam, which it is, I really don't give a rat's *** because I'm not an uber gunner. I mainly want to get the pro tags because it gives me something to work on now...I like games with leveling/advancement/awards, and everything sort of leveled out after I hit 99. I welcome the all star option in the DLC. It's also fun to take a skill that people don't bother with and turn it into a useable part of my arsenal.

It's true that most skilled players won't be face-grappling me, but I have gotten grapples on non-assassins due to charges that came up short, luck of proximity, and once, chasing a retreating support around a corner as he was reloading his shottie. But there are TONS of assassins that make silly mistakes and face-grapple me, and I'm sure plenty of skilled assassins out there that sometimes miss the back grapple and get stuck in the face-grapple. I've also gotten used to certain map locations where assassins try to take me out, and move around frequently, looking behind me often, and this does get assassins caught in an inadvertent face-grapple.

As far as the damage is concerned, LOGICALLY you'd think a big guy in a big ol' suit of armor with big ol' dual mini guns teeing off on someone would do more damage than the sniper grapple, but it appears that it does not. Let's see...Barry Bonds versus Hunter Pence...who's going to hit more dingers? My other point regarding the damage is that the gunner has NO WAY of getting a grapple with assistance like snares/charges/lunges. We basically have to wait for someone to come close to us, which most people don't do because we're gunners. And sneaking up on people? A rather large dude that's slower than slow? Sneaky grapple kills will be few and far between.

Not using the grapple previously I will blame on my lack of imagination and the general dissing of the skill by the gunner community. If you're a pro player, don't use it...go concentrate on your KDR, but if you're like me, and want a fun challenge, then try it out and work some strategies to, as Tim Gunn would say, "make it work, people."
  18. rudigarmc

rudigarmc New Member

pretty much agree with the completely.
  19. DeadEye

DeadEye New Member

My new Street Fighter Combo. Grapple, slam, mortar grapple.
  20. southsidesox24

southsidesox24 New Member

I also enjoy running around with the tank and trying to use the rail gun grapple, although I actually might think it is better than the gunner ability grapple :shock: . Unrelatedly, don't forget that Barry Bonds was hitting more home runs than Hunter Pence back when Barry Bonds was actually smaller than Hunter Pence is now (Given that I believe Hunter Pence is like 6-5 230). I actually think it makes a little more sense that the Sniper Grapple does more damage because he is essentially golfing his opponent with tons of torque, whereas the gunner can barely move because he has so much **** draped on him.