GUI Mock-Up

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Culverin, October 10, 2013.

1. ghost1107

ghost1107 Active Member

All screen are moveable and can be minimalized from what I understand. So when you get to T2 you just maximize the screen. ;)

Personally, I want to be able to press "V" (or whatever) and my screen switches to the following. And if I press "V" again everything is back to norma. (Virtual 2nd screen.) But I don't know how usefull this would be.
    [​IMG]
    Clopse and tatsujb like this.
  2. ghost1107

ghost1107 Active Member

The idea is to be able the change the mini screen quikely by clicking the Icon in the bottem left. The camera, the clock, the sun, the letter and the eye.

1 Saved Views
    2 Chrono Cam
    3 Planets
    4 Notifications
    5 View Notifications

[​IMG]
  3. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

I was thinking about this....
    SupCom had "Loop" and "Pause" right on the factory build panel.
    But really, these are more like "Stance" items.

I think maybe we shift the stance panel to between the factory build panel and order panel?
    Since it's somewhat like inbetween an order and it's status?
  4. Culverin

With a PA game having battles, tiny engagements or skirmishes on many fronts at once, how would the game know if it's a "battle" or not?
  5. Culverin

1. I totally agree that horizontal is a much better layout for Squads/Control Groups.
      That way, it matches the keyboard layout and gives the player a greater continuity between keyboard and screen. Totally makes sense, I like it :)

However, I think you should keep in mind that the "Selected Units" panel wouldn't be permanent. Similar to SupCom it wouldn't show up until you "Selected a Unit" or did "Mouse-over Unit".
      By nesting squads directly under it, you leave a bit of a "hole" of blank space. I don't think this is optimal since you want as much of that empty space as close to the middle of the screen as possible for the camera.
      Maybe we bring the "Selected Units" panel back to the bottom left and leave the Squads/Control Groups horizontal like your modification?

2. Players Panel is rather unimportant, it doesn't really interact with the player much during the course of a game.
      I think it should be tucked out of the way as much as possible?

3. Love the notifications panel. :cool:
      Also, I forgot about scrolling in the text box *dope*
      Good call :p

4. Numbers on planets.
      So obvious, but it slipped my mind. :oops:
      Another awesome catch

5. Yep, we need to account for those.
      We'll definitely have to adapt as Uber rolls out their system.
      As for how the fabbers behave... I think that's a whole other discussion.
      I suggest you remember to bring that up when the Area Commands discussion happens?

I like your Saved Views suggestion,
    A slight modification...
    5.2.2 Single Click on Saved View button takes you to saved view. Double-click on Saved View button opens saved view in new window.
    That way, with the least button clicks, you control what you see right-now-at-this-moment.
    Kinda like a panning with the mouse, you don't want to have to use CTRL+Middle-mouse-button for your most used camera...
    Does that work?
    ghost1107 likes this.
  6. Culverin

Ooooh, swapping to a virtual 2nd screen!
    That's like remote desktop!!!!
    Perfect for people with only 1 monitor.
    That's freaking genius! :D

As for Celestial View not being useful until T2...
    I don't think that will be true forever. In future team games, I can almost guarantee you that there will be options to spawn on different planets. You will need to be able to check in on your allies.
    I think you will want Celestial View up right away.
    ghost1107 likes this.
  7. Culverin

The "extra view camera" is already something Uber is going to do.
    I think they are doing different "Windows" so you can get picture-in-picture.
    I would definitely be running at least 2.
    1. One "tracked" on Commander at all times.
    2. Base building
    3. Enemy front lines.

I decided to show it in the mock-up since we already know Uber is going to do it.
    We need to account for how it's going to flow with the rest of the stuff we're requesting.
    Like what if there is 1, 2 or even more of them?
    Should they "dock"? or "Nest" like tabs on Firefox? or something else entirely?
    I think there are lots of things to consider we haven't touched on...
  8. Culverin

I think the portrait is important so you don't have to read a name.
    But I totally agree, let's not waste space. You're totally right, it doesn't need to be nearly as big.
    I'll shrink it down.
    ghost1107 likes this.
  9. Culverin

I was hoping for just the "icons". I can stick them in frames.
    It'll work better with my software.

As for your first edit, why V0.3 looks better?
    I think it's because grey with a grey panel backing doesn't have a lot of contrast.
    It makes it more difficult to read.
    That's why a Stop Sign has high contrast with it's background, the real world (all around the world) doesn't have a lot of naturally occurring bright red and clean white.
    That's why it always seems to pop out at you.

As for "Diplomacy", I'm not sure I have played any games in the last 10 years where people break alliances.
    Usually, it's a Free-for-all with some sort of in-game-non-verbal alliances set up, kind of like a mind game.

Do you guys think this is something we should account for still?
    ghost1107 likes this.
  10. Culverin

Awwww frak.
    You're right, each "Window" should have their own set of camera controls...
    As you said, these should include "Saved Views" as well as "ChronoCam", but I think there is more...

The "3D Compass" and the "Celestial Key" should be there too.
    Each window could be at a different orientation, without a compass this could be confusing.
    Ditto with the planets, you are more than likely looking at a different planet through a "picture-in-picture" Window.

I propose:
    1. The 3D compass should be there at all times, but a smaller version until you actually click into that window?
    2. That Window's current planet also be shown, and only when that is the window is active window would the entire panel show?
    ghost1107 likes this.
  11. Culverin

@ghost1107 was it you that brought up "Threat Ratings"? (Sorry I couldn't find the original post).
    How would the UI differentiate between different Threat Ratings?
    Like yes, a nuke is higher than maybe a tactical missile, but how does it rate them?
    And how would this be relayed through the "Notifications Panel" to the player?
    ghost1107 likes this.
  12. ghost1107

ghost1107 Active Member

@Culverin Yes, it was me that brought up Treat Ratings. Sorian said the AI used a thread rating linked to the units to assess their thread. He also said it would eventually be removed and the Thread rate would be determined by the unit stats. I suggest to try using the same tactic.

I would let the thread rate stack, lets say all units within bot range get their thread rates added up. For unknown units in radar range I would add a low Thread value, but for all additional units I would let it multiply at an exponentiaal rate.

When under attack you would get a notification with a 'number/value', the higher the number the bigger the thread. I'm no programmer but I would add an extra tag to the nuke launcher since it's an gamechanger.

In the notification menu I made has a Thread value.
    Eye: Go to location/ show on miniscreen
    Planet: Planet with number.
    TR: Thread rate: 1ste line TR 100, low thread rate, not very importent. 2nd line: TR nuke symbol, obviously much more important and extra noticible.
    Text: In short, a bit more info.
  13. ghost1107

ghost1107 Active Member

Indeed SupCom had "Loop" and "Pause" right on the factory build panel. But I mostly add the the "Unit/Factories Orders pannel" to make them availible for units.

My reason:
    Assist is "loop", basicly assist is "indefinite".
    But repair is not indefinite.
    If you order a fabber an "repair area command" I would very much like it to be indefinite instead of the fabber going idle. This way you can have a few fabbers constantly folowing a commander or a large unit and repair it if it gets damaged.
  14. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

btw i totally dissagree with the whole "consume energy thing or don't" just slapped on EVERYTHING sure you may want to turn off a radar but that's not how you want to tell something to stop, or to stop firering.

I definitely think it should be part of a more readily accessible thing, not one of those youtube "let's add useless clicks things" : two clicks here... to pop out the energy consumption menu and select your choice.

why not a button for each ability that you tick or untick. much like that one game I know...
    Last edited: November 21, 2013
  15. ghost1107

ghost1107 Active Member

I honestly don't know if the "Diplomacy" icon if nessesary. On page4 I discussed the icons with tatsujb and we also concluded diplomacy might be unnessesary. Specially with shared economy. Maybe the button can be hidden in most game modes or removed all together.

About the Icons, your totally right! :D
  16. ghost1107

ghost1107 Active Member

Uhmm, how do you mean? Please elaborate with some pictures.;)
  17. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

because 30 of your units within close proximity just died in 10 seconds.
  18. JWest

JWest Active Member

Much genius is happening in this thread, I'd love to hear the devs chime in.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  19. rabidfrog

rabidfrog Member

I have an idea for time based orders, specifically that you can get a group of units, order them to move together and when that is done, attack/move/continue with what they were doing. A lot of mid to late game time is wasted ordering units into death balls only to leave them sitting while you are distracted by something else. Unfortunately I have no clue about what kind of GUI could be used to give these orders quickly on the fly.
    Help?
  20. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

Digging this thread up again,

Wanted to link to THIS forum thread regarding Camera level zooms being set points in the game. I know that Uber is currently doing a Free Zoom camera that has no restriction. But I think a Stepped approach would be nice to have as just a Base level.