Guesstomation on how many units there will be? Not the races

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by snownebula, January 11, 2013.

1. snownebula

snownebula Member

I was wondering 2 things,

1) How many different units will do you suppose there will be?

2) Please dont make a limutition on how many you can have in the game like TA. I for one love MILLIONS
    lots and lots of different choices :) Just because you have all the units dont mean your going to use them. It does help to have a very good selection though.

P.S.
    Im a freeken HUGE fan of TA favorite game EVER!
  2. elexis

elexis Member

Re: Guesstomation on how many units there will be? Not the r

TA's limitation was mainly due to limitations of PC's back when it was released, PA will have a comparative huge population cap (or none, but that is speculation).
  3. snownebula

snownebula Member

I wasnt talking about the pop cap. I was actialy talking about the total units, witch was like 500 in your build menu via tech 1 tech 2 tech 3 tech 4 and so on. I had the 5k pop unit cap and never crashed. But my brother had same and crashed all the time, so meh it was what it was.
  4. elexis

elexis Member

So you want the possibility for an arbitrary number of unique units?
  5. snownebula

snownebula Member

Yep thats right!
  6. elexis

elexis Member

Well it's not exactly a hard thing to do, as long as the UI is designed with that mind.
  7. sylvesterink

sylvesterink Active Member

Threads like this really don't belong in the backer's only section. This is something that everyone can discuss, and is not restricted by information that was presented exclusively to backers.

So really, this forum should be pretty sparse on the posts for now, since very little backer-exclusive info has been released so far.
  8. elexis

elexis Member

In addition to what sylverster said, I believe this was brought up in the General Discussion subforum. although I would have been some time ago.
  9. supremevoid

supremevoid Member

I answer this one shortly:
    If you mean Unit Build Limit:
    The technical goal is 1Mio Units.

If you mean How many different Units there will be:
    There will be more and more with future updates.
  10. bbf

bbf New Member

As I recall from TA, there were 2 limitations regarding unit types:
    1) Unit ID
    2) Weapon ID
    Both of them were 8bit integers (?char?), so you would be limited to 255 of each (I think 0 was excluded).

Considering some units had more then one weapon, to reach 255 units types, units had to share weapons.

I remember some unit packs back then that reached both limits, and were manually sewed together with units from many different people.

The unit ids in SupCom were Strings already, which made avoiding any kind of collision much easier, not to say that the amount of units types would approximately be the number of characters that could be used in a ID to the power of the length of the String ID. I'm not sure the length was variable, but assuming it was fixed, and it didn't have to follow that "url0301" format, and you could use lowercase plus numbers, you would have (26+10)^7. That would be 78.364.164.096 unit types, which seems right about enough for me. :D

I bet you would have other resources constraints like memory to load the blueprints, then reaching that limit of the ID like in TA.
  11. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

There aren't really any worries about ID or name collisions. Back in the TA days it was a lot more important to keep memory use tight and we weren't thinking as much about scaling.
  12. snownebula

snownebula Member

As a matter of fact I didnt want to discuss this in front of the community, just the backers. As far as I'm conserned, I payed money, I have more of a say than them, as do all of you. That is why I posted it here.
  13. furyofthestars

furyofthestars New Member

Actually, the 500 & 5k limit were population cap, also known as how many units you could field at the same exact time.

As bbf pointed out, the real limitation on how many different types of units that were available to build were unit and weapon IDs, which were 255 each. But as Neutrino said, that shouldn't be an issue this time around.
  14. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

8-bit values are so quaint ;)
  15. sylvesterink

sylvesterink Active Member

That's all good and fine, but the topic of this thread is something that's been discussed to varying degrees in the regular forums anyway. And even if not, it's not such a critical subject that non-backer input would be that detrimental.

And suppose it were a more radical thread, and we discussed it at great length. What happens when a non-backer puts for the same suggestion in the regular forums? (Something that's quite likely, if previous topics are any indication.) We can't really point out that that it's already been discussed and provide a link to the thread, so should we start copy-pasting the posts over?

I'm not against the idea, I just think that use of a limited-access forum like this should be done prudently, to avoid community fragmentation.
  16. snownebula

snownebula Member

Let me rephrase this. I do not care what the non-backers have to say.
  17. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Even if the non-backer actually makes a brilliant and insightful suggestion?

You'd seriously rather have a bad backer-idea than a good public-idea?

Someone is prideful.
  18. snownebula

snownebula Member

I dont care. I am not admin, mod, or anything other than a backer. If you see something incredibal a non-backer writes. Good for you, as for me, Im not reading there stuff unless I hear somewhere its a breakthrough idea. I have no reason to care what they say. I dont get payed to care, do you? Enought of this you wanna troll me than w/e
  19. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Haha, oh wow! Someone is not going to last long on these forums. But hey, as long as the money is green, right? :roll:
  20. NortySpock

NortySpock Member

I'm still not sure if OP was talking about population cap or total number of unique units available in game. I'm going to guess at 120 unique units and structures, not including Commander variants. Why? I'm guesstimating from SupCom Wiki unit lists, which looks like it has Cybran at 63 on the low side and UEF at 93 on the high side. After that, I'm just shooting from the hip in terms of reducing the tech levels from 3 to 2, plus a few extra experimental-class units and their gantries, separate kbot and vehicle classes, and all the orbital-operations and space stuff.

Total guesswork, but good enough for 5 minutes amusement.