Grenadiers

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by cola_colin, February 14, 2015.

1. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

But ... isn't that like a natural thing? Make the turret smaller then :p
  2. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure enemies can't shoot at turrets behind a wall, that's how i defend early game when playing against ai.

For Grenadiers, imo a splash buff sounds like a fun thing to experiment with. All other T1 core units are single damage. Might have some neat tactical uses when it comes to fighting in chokes or between buildings, and further rewards concaves.
    Potentially even a bit less damage and much bigger splash, so they can effectively weaken parts of enemy platoons (+punish ultradense dox balls), while you need tanks/dox to actually kill them off efficiently. Depending on stats, it might develope a cool dynamic when the enemy can use combat fabbers to repair the weakened units.

They'd still probably need a bit more health considering the range their fighting at. Assuming we don't want to make them outrange turret (avoiding hardcouters etc).
  3. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

wrong thread durr Colin slap me
  4. cola_colin

Humans can. To shoot a turret just tell your tanks to directly attack the turret.
    temeter likes this.
  5. temeter

Ok, that's just strange. Guess it's a bug.
  6. cola_colin

yep see the new PTE that introduces "I am a shield"-walls that are taller.
  7. temeter

Ooooooooooooh I didn't even see the new PTE. Seriously, how fast are these guys at throwing that stuff out?
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  8. cola_colin

yeah they are awesome :D
    zihuatanejo and thetrophysystem like this.
  9. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

Yup :D
  10. cybrankrogoth

cybrankrogoth Active Member

the seemingly constant pte revisions threw me off toooooo. Was very surprised. Although I just can't see them being as wild as wacky as they said they would be trying experimental game breaking stuff for the pte. Maybe they're settling down now with a clearer picture of what they want to end up with.

I still think they should make Innomen's real world logical changes and emraldis, Nicb1, and mgmetal13's orbital overhaul mod canon though.

Has anyone considered maybe, 2 buffs and 1 nerf:
    1) Increasing grenadier damage slightly, I don't know about aoe though
    2) Increasing range to outside towers
    3) decreasing projectile velocity

They're pretty one shot killable as it is, so nerfing their hp doesn't really achieve anything, and I feel like increasing damage to about the same or a bit more as an ant is a good thing and decreasing projectile speed gives a sense of mortar randomnivity, that might help??????????

just 3 thoughts for consideration.
  11. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

Grenadiers are having a super hard time shooting over the higher wall. I think this should be fixed so that they shoot over walls without it being super difficult.
  12. Tripod27

Tripod27 Active Member

The new PTE just made their shells be a higher arc, probably fixed it
  13. jhnphm

jhnphm New Member

I seem to have had minor success in my last game w/ infernadiers on duat. Granted the other player wasn't particularly good repeatedly attempting to gun for my base instead of my undefended mexes. I did have problems getting kited by the enemy army of tanks+infernos though
  14. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Are grenadiers that useful in a general sense?

If they were made T1 artillery, I could see it making a difference, but right now they're just a dodgeable tank without HP.
  15. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

In the PTE the grenadiers seem strong. They are the cheapest way to shoot over walls. Walls are good and can be made in the blink of an eye with a combat fabber. I think this makes grenadiers +combat fabbers super nice.
  16. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

And THIS currently is a major problem: Why are certain units so dumb? It´s the same with Hornets, it´s the "Uuugh, I´ve got good range, let´s try to waste it"-factor!
    jtibble likes this.
  17. nateious

nateious Active Member

I like all of these changes, especially the T1 SLT. I always want to build these when I see someone coming in with a large number of doxes or bomb bots assuming that it should work better as a way to deal with faster units, but it just isn't the case.

Maybe even increase it's rate of fire 1.5-2x, but reduce damage so it maintains the same DPS.

I'd also like to throw in there, that I think the pelter need work. I've said this a few times before but I really want to see it return to the lower angle firing arc it used to use back in alpha / early beta. Give it a low to medium damage but a decent aoe, combine that with a lower angle of attack and suddenly it will be able to actually hit blobs of units. Right now the flight time of the projectile is too high, so when firing at a moving blob it usually hits no where near center, instead ends up hitting trailing units, or nothing at all. Think guardian / punisher from TA.

I think that it was changed to use the higher angle because people felt it was too powerful, but right now blobs of units can wreck turrets (wall help depending on the blob) getting a decent mid range arty base defense will force people to attack with more than just a blob of tanks or just a blob of doxes, instead they'll have to send arty of their own (grenadiers at T1 and shellers at T2)

Edit: Apparently the pelter has a splash of 12, I don't know what this translates into in game, I'll try to check it out the next time I have a chance.
    Last edited: February 25, 2015
  18. mered4

That splash is a huge deal against dox, but not anything else. TBH, it just destroys 8-9 of them.

Also, fyi, mobile artillery shouldn't outrange static arty. That just doesn't make sense.
  19. nateious

nateious Active Member

I was more thinking

SLT < DLT < Grenadier < TLT < Pelter ~= T3 Mobile arty < Holkins for range.

I kind of agree with you on it not makeing sense, but if pelters outranged even T3 mobile arty, and they were also good at hitting mobile blobs, it might make them overpowered.
  20. mered4

I'm ok with that. Then we can make pelters kind of expensive to build so they are more of a T1.5 thing instead of a *rush this for win* thing.

Shellers having the same range as pelters might be a good experiment after enhancing the pelters. That way they can contest, at least.