Grenadier

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by Quitch, August 19, 2015.

1. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

Shouldn't you micro grenadiers most of the time? They do look pretty bad in straight engagements compared to bolos or sparks.

Honestly, I'm not sure if there is anything grenadiers are good at aside from sniping T1 turrets. It would be so nice to finally see them being usefull, bots tend to feel so underwhelming compared to vehicles.

uber plz buff k thx bai
  2. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I don't micro my troops other when they need to retreat.

Besides, I feel that grenadiers are fine just the way they are, as one of the few units that can lob a projectile rather then point back their shots into stuff that could block the shot.
  3. temeter

I'd just like to see them usefull outside super specific situations that almost purely happen on maps with ramps. :/
  4. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Isn't that like saying hover tanks are only useful in super specific situations that involve water and lava worlds?
    cptconundrum likes this.
  5. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

I like the idea of grens being cost effective only when firing up onto plateaus, but maybe the real way to give them more value is to lower the firing arc of bolos slightly. Tanks can already shoot up a bit past the edges of these platforms, so I never really find myself wishing I had grenadiers. Either increase the range of grens or lower the firing angle of bolos so that we get a more noticeable benefit to using them against elevated defenses.
  6. temeter

Hovertanks are still capable units, 40% faster and doing more damage than normal tanks. They are the best in special roles, but they are never actually bad. Even said special roles include things like microing against sparks, capability of attacking naval units, raiding land and sea, and generally just outrunning almost all the units on the battlefield. That's actually a lot.

Compared grenadiers are just bad most of the time, with ridiculously low hp, little dps, and slow projectiles, hardly balanced by marginal range advantage and aoe.
    probodobodyne likes this.
  7. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

due to overkill that isn't actually correct vs all targets.
  8. temeter

I know. Just thought to myself 'eh, that's commons knowledge either way'. :p
    Against anything tougher than T1 units a higher alpha shouldn't be that much of a problem tho, especially since drifters are fast and get more alpha damage out of a smaller field of units.

Either way, they aren't nearly as bad as grenadiers who aren't sitting behind a comfortable ledge.
  9. temeter

Did you see that bug with other bots too? I've just played a game were I rushed to Gil-Es and they tried to point blank stuff. Upon further testing all other bot units i tried pulled that stuff as soon as something gets into range, while tanks just sat back as they should. Thinking back to my few titan matches, it might have always happened.

Created a thread in the support forum for now:
    https://forums.uberent.com/forums/support.106/
    Last edited: August 25, 2015