Greedy Uber Entertainment?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by xtri, April 30, 2013.

1. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

The only AAA game I ever bought is FIFA 13 just cause I wanted to experience the online features. Its good but nowhere near 50 euros worth with all the server issues and the inability to play with my friend more than one consecutive match.

I gave triple that for PA. Why you might ask? Cause these people are creating a game I wanted for years and not only that but they are allowing us to help shape the game and be a part of the development since the start. Giving the money before the game is even finished means we are directly financing the building of the game and that is awesome.

I also want a shirt and my own planet names.

But I'm sure Uber does some black market organ selling to help themselves with some extra bacon...
  2. renrutal

renrutal Member

$50 pays for 1 hour of work of a not-really-that-good developer in standard enterprise company. That's not even 15 min of a Uber-caliber dev.

I'd say we are getting the good part of the game-making deal.
  3. Sconc

Sconc New Member

Likewise, though I did the opposite and threw more than $100 at them (Yay for international shipping :D).

Value for money for me is in playing the game at the end. I rarely poke through the forums, will most likely enjoy the Beta / Alpha (As I did for Supcom 1 + 2), but I didn't pledge for that reason.

Things like playing with Sorians AI in supcom 1 and having the odd chats with him in the GPG lobby, or having the chance to play a nice fun new RTS are the things that make me pay the money :). Figure in Australia we used to pay $100 from retail prices for AAA games, why not pay the same for kickstarter!

Thankfully, prices are lower now, but still not much better :D
  4. paulzeke

paulzeke Member

90 dollar pledge person here, no regrets at all! The modding capabilities that have been talked about since the kickstarter have only added value, and the existence of Uber Labs (or whatever the final name is) makes me so freaking excited! I can't wait to try making my own animation packs to share
  5. mkultr4

mkultr4 Member

Planetary Annihilation is officially only the 5th game I've ever preordered in my lifetime of gaming (I'm 23, and if you're curious the other two were Warcraft 3/Frozen Throne and Starcraft 2/HotS)

It takes quite an awesome looking game for me to budge, and I'm happy to support an independent company which is making a game in my favorite genre.
    Last edited: May 6, 2013
  6. mkultr4

mkultr4 Member

double post
  7. kmike13

kmike13 Member

i have never pre-ordered a game, in fact i've only actually bought 2 games that werent gifts from friends. So pre-ordering this with Beta access is pretty big for me.
  8. Joefesok

Joefesok Member

"OMFG THEY ARE FORCING US TO PAY FOR A COMPLETELY OPTIONAL SERVICE THEY COULD HAVE CHOSEN NOT TO PROVIDE OMFG SO UNFAIR"