Graphics Update

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by varrak, December 17, 2013.

1. varrak

varrak Official PA

Optimization on the PC can be easier than on consoles. The PPC cores in 360 and PS3 are in-order, meaning they are much more sensitive to bad code than processors in a PC, which are highly complex out-of-order speculative execution engines. So on PS3 and Xbox 360, you had to be really, really careful to not defeat the CPU, whereas on the PC, the CPU gently holds your hand and takes care of the difficult stuff for you. I am grossly overgeneralizing here, of course.

Actually, having spent so much time in the console universe, PC optimization is actually pretty hard, because you have so many variations in platform performance. A console is a fixed platform, so if it runs well on yours, it runs well everywhere.

I think what I'm trying to say here is, optimization is hard, and my head hurts. :)
    glinkot, Gorbles, LordQ and 2 others like this.
  2. iceDrop

iceDrop Active Member

Well shoot; here, let me help!
    Optimize for just the retina macbook pro, mid 2012.

That should lighten your load some; any more problems for me to solve?
    glinkot and varrak like this.
  3. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing this man, it's good to have true veteran coders real life feedback. This make me feel like these old days when i was reading Michael Abrash books about graphic programming and his experience with Carmack at ID software when they were coding Quake. I've never been a programmer, but i've allways had deep respect for true coders, and allways wanting to know a little bit more about the "behind the scene" :)
    varrak likes this.
  4. varrak

varrak Official PA

Send it on over. I'll get right on that... ;)
    Grimseff, z4c, archerbomb66 and 3 others like this.
  5. varrak

varrak Official PA

I am of course kidding. Please don't mail me your laptop... :)
    codylc, Grimseff, z4c and 1 other person like this.
  6. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Neutrino, I hope many people here realize how lucky we are to have you and all the Uber team sharing this experience with us, this way. It's never seen before. We have been following PA development from the very begining and have this very nice opportunity to get feedbacks from Devs. Thank you again for offering this to us ;)
    LavaSnake, cptconundrum and drz1 like this.
  7. abubaba

abubaba Well-Known Member

Planetary Annihilation on a high dpi display :O About time other manufacturers outside of Apple get on those high DPI displays.
  8. iceDrop

iceDrop Active Member

Not much danger there. I kinda like this thing. :)
    varrak likes this.
  9. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

There is one issue I have that is sorta related to the graphics tech, so I'll post it here (again, I complained before):
    The fullscreen mod flickers horribly whenever PA loses focus. And it flickers all 3 of my screens. So it is pretty much annoying to use, which is why I still use my own fullscreen script that resizes the window to be "fullscreen".
    Any chance that the fullscreen of the game itself will stop flickering in the future?
    Or is this my personal issue?
  10. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Almost all of the code I have in the game was written on the macbook pro retina 2012. It's still my main home machine and it's in our test matrix.
    glinkot and iceDrop like this.
  11. varrak

varrak Official PA

Cola_colin - PM me and we'll start the ball rolling on trying to figure out what's going on.
    cola_colin likes this.
  12. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Sometimes i wonder how you manage to hire the best of the best coders. There's no doubt, that in addition to the obvious PA qualities, our money has been spent efficiently. CTO is obviously the best position you could have at Uber ;)
    LavaSnake likes this.
  13. iceDrop

iceDrop Active Member

Brag time (with an embedded challenge to make varrak's head hurt even more, bwahaha!)

I actually push the video card pretty hard just running my daily setup.
    Internal display is pushing 2880 x 1800 pixels, and I've attached a 27" Thunderbolt for another 2560 x 1440, adding another 24" LED 1920 x 1200 off the second Thunderbolt port.
    My dream PA setup has ALL of those running the game, once we get to multi-windowed. I know there's a lot still to be done, but... that's my hope for this new 3 story house framework. That it supports all those pixels one day.
    varrak likes this.
  14. dfanz0r

dfanz0r Active Member

It does the same thing here, i have 4 monitors so its even more annoying. But its not really related the graphics optimization lol.

In my experimentation with the win32 api and opengl in the past, this win32 function call has been the cause of it.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd183411(v=vs.85).aspx
  15. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Superior work environment to big companies is attractive. We work hard at that.

In Varrak's case he had worked closely with us in the past when he was at Intel.
    shootall, Gorbles and doud like this.
  16. pownie

pownie Active Member

A VANGUARD JUST ABUSED HIS POSITION TO PUSH HIS OWN AGENDA! JEHOVA! JEHOVA!

:D

Sorry, couldn't resist. Carry on.
  17. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Uh... No.

That concern was about them saying to the Uber devs "Hey. There have been a lot of posts on the forums recently about XXXXXXX"

Where in fact, all of those posts were made by 1 vanguard member.
  18. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Stormingkiwi, you may need to see a doctor about your sarcasmectomy. :)
    Grimseff, tatsujb and brianpurkiss like this.
  19. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

I have.

He told me that amputation was the only way, anesthetic was unavailable, and that above all else, I must trust him, he's a doctor.

In saying that, there was no sarcasm in that post?
    garat likes this.
  20. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

I was just teasing you about your response to pownie, who was clearly joking. ;)
    pownie likes this.