Global Chat

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by nofear1299, July 24, 2014.

1. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Why would it not? If the system is build in the same way? PA has the same kind of players. It is a niche game as well.
  2. Abaddon1

Abaddon1 Active Member

Maybe it has something to do with how people define "global". When you say "global" do you mean all players not in the game will be able to see it, or do you mean a "global" multiplayer specific chat channel. If, when they add in matchmaking and other competitive features, they have a "competitive channel" or general "multiplayer" channel, I think it might be able to work. If it were an actual "global" chat, I'm highly skeptical.
  3. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

that's what theorising is. people do it all the time. If this were an experiment this would be what would be filled in in the "predicted result" box.

it's hard to give credit to Uber's own theory when we have no idea what their basis is.
  4. tatsujb

FAF has any and all of what you just suggested plus person-to-person chat.

the main chat is something a user can connect to without even having the game, ......or even faf! he can create an account on faforever.com and log in with irc. and it works fine!

it's the greatest place to organise your modded host or regular host, to get advice, to discuss balance, to meet a mentor, to talk world cup, anything!
  5. Bgrmystr2

Bgrmystr2 Active Member

Youtube is everywhere, embedded videos, the whole shebang. Twitch is a very popular streaming site for gamers which also is very visible. Not as much as youtube, but visible nonetheless.

Irc is very old, not many young people know about it since it's not mainstream, marketed, or hosted everywhere. It doesn't have an equal to the watermark that Youtube and Twitch use in the corner of embedded videos. I didn't even use IRC until recently because there was no centralization, no core community, no advertisements that it exists.. It's like that really oldschool nightclub that not many people know about because noone talks about it anymore. Free to get, free to use, no snobby doormen, no arrogant VIP loungees, but the inside experience is similar.

FAF is a community program dedicated to one game, and most people who go out of their way to find it are already mature enough to participate in the community anyway. It's not large, by any comparative means, but it's not a private book club either. By the time I got into it, I already knew what FAF was about, knew how the community worked, and knew the game too.

They may be free, but they're not large, in charge, nor are they garbage. Close-knit communities thrive off real-time chat. IRC is like that, FAF is like that, and PA is no exception. You really can't compare them to world-wide driven mass communication like Youtube, which, by the way, has no real-time communication in it's comment section. Most of Twitch is moderated (or not) by the host of the streamer. It has millions of streams active at once, maybe even more. Individual channels can have enough mods to cover themselves, but there's no way to cover everything.

Looking forward to it. :D
  6. tatsujb

oh please.

the FAF website link is on every supcom youtube video.

is is spelled hard? : FAforever com ....you could practically find it by accident.

first page, download is suggested.

is the actual App expert material to install? -Steam looks like rubiks cube in comparison

you run an .msi installer, the most one-liner installers there are, it detects where you have FA installed and SC installed, be it cracked, steam version, CD version, whichever patch. Straps itself to it and you're one click of a button away from hopping into ANY of the existing gradient's type of game mode of the game.

If you were an old GPGnet user you can log straight in with that account and it automatically creates your account for you on the FAF forrum for you, if not you create it right then and there with only pseudo and password.
    Last edited: July 25, 2014
  7. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

No, you're literally right.
    What I meant is that your personal experience that you remember being highly positive is only going to apply to a small subset of PA's community, not to the larger number of more casual players (who, to some extent, may not even be considered part of the community).

It's ultimately no better than a well-advertised private chatroom, unless you give it an official staff.
  8. tatsujb

hold on you thought it would be unmoderated ??? [​IMG]
  9. Bgrmystr2

Bgrmystr2 Active Member

Sorry, didn't know this was a popularity contest. :rolleyes: My mistake.

FAF is being easy to install is not the subject. It's that you don't see FAF like you see the words YouTube. The two don't have the same "everywhere". That's why the YT community is majority garbage and FAF isn't. Visability. When I see FAF being promoted on TV, newspaper, news articles, on forums and other parts of the internet that doesn't have anything to do with Forged Alliance, I'll let you know. xD

We're not enemies, Tatsu, I'm on your side. I want a chat in PA like FAF has, and if there's anything to pull away from FAF's community, it's that PA's can get bigger, better, and stronger. You need infrastructure to grow a community, and communication is included with that. :)
  10. tatsujb

I know, I'm just being my usual me by being picky.
  11. Dementiurge

"Official staff" means hired company men. NOT community moderators.
  12. tatsujb

that's what I'd hoped.

Upping the quality of said global chat comparatively, tenfold.
  13. Abaddon1

Abaddon1 Active Member

Though that would be pretty expensive to have an actual staff 24/7 moderated global chat.
  14. raygun1

raygun1 New Member

How to talk to people in PA.
    Join a multi-player game, say Hello.

Beyond that, life's too short to be talking to people when you could be crashing planets into them.
  15. Corang

Corang Well-Known Member

Mass quote for attention. Just uploaded my global chat mod, find it here https://forums.uberent.com/threads/wip-global-chat.62212/
    Clopse and tatsujb like this.
  16. Dementiurge

True. I've only seen paid GMs in MMOs, and company-wide tech support, but their job description includes far more than just channel moderation. I don't realistically expect such a thing to happen in PA. (Only in that hypothetical dream-world where it becomes more popular than League of Legends
  17. thepilot

thepilot Well-Known Member

These players won't bother with the chat to begin with, and will probably leave PA no matter what some weeks/month later.

What is important is building a strong, core community that last for years. So new "casual" players are attracted by them.
    Clopse and cola_colin like this.
  18. byte01

byte01 Member

I can see you are quite annoyed, sometimes it's better to sleep a night over things.

What I for my part do not understand is, why you are giving away options without seeing them in action? Why not make a fairly simple first approach to matchmaking and/or chat, that doesn't cost weeks of person hours. Put it out see how it goes. If your worries are true, turn it off, if not continue development and do whatever it takes to meet your strategic goals.

I can understand you might feel negative upfront thepilot, I can certainly understand why, but regardless of emotional chains, the data and experience he delivers from FaF is really not negligable IMHO.

A simple IRC chat at the beginning won't cost much. Likewise a simple rating and matchmaking system like PAStats. Collect data from that, reevaluate, refine etc. fits the iterative approach pretty good;)

As to players being turned off by bad chat, likewise I can ask, how many get turned off by being stomped, maybe even by the AI, and have no easy way to just ask for help, like in a global chat?

The chat could be something to be opt in, hasn't to be visible or enabled right out of the box.

Just my opinion of course.
    cola_colin, suketchi and Clopse like this.
  19. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

to be entirely frank i played enough online games to know that if the playerbase is big enough
    global chat will become a craphole ... no ammount of mods will prevent that and turn the whole thing into second full time job ..

i get that people want to quickly find likeminded people and so on
    but the truth is no matter the genre with a big enough base trying to get an answer of any kind results in getting 1 propper answer (and that is IF you are lucky) out of 10 with the others being insults of some sort, stupid jokes and ways to redicule you, general redirections to google and calling you an idiot or ultimately your question getting ignored and you finding yourself in a religios discussion all of the sudden .... and generaly that is all but a pleasant experience ...
    i have seen it too many times to be even remotely convinced that it would be different in PA
    Last edited: July 25, 2014
    Abaddon1 likes this.
  20. tatsujb

which games? how many years each?