Give us Shields! Come on!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by wbonx, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

No love for age of mythology.:(
    Devak and shotforce13 like this.
  2. schuesseled192

schuesseled192 Active Member

Shields only ever prevented artillery from destroying your entire base by surprise, mobile forces can just move under them.

They should introduce umbrella shields as a counter to artillery, laser satellites. bombers etc (only protect your base from projectiles/energy blasts raining down from the skies, mobile forces, with the exception of mobile artillery, would still be able to fire on structures from inside or outside the area of effect without having to drain the structures battery)
  3. Geers

Geers Post Master General

I think mobile shields could work. At least then the turrets don't have to shoot origami cranes instead of lasers for balance.
  4. destravous

destravous Member

reads first post
    looks at page count
    pulls out popcorn.
    PeggleFrank, BulletMagnet and corteks like this.
  5. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Can I has some?
  6. Geers

Geers Post Master General

I think you mean:

go ahead.gif
    corteks likes this.
  7. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Steals popcorn
    Gives un-roasted marshmallows for compensation
  8. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

No, please, not my squishy bretheran... :(
    Geers likes this.
  9. schuesseled192

Wait..what. Why would age of empires having shields or not enter into your head. It's set in the past, not the future!

And to be frank Walls = Shields in that game, considering they had to be destroyed before anything beyond them could be touched, including by artillery.
    shotforce13 and lokiCML like this.
  10. destravous

destravous Member

Proceeds to roast marshmallows
    follows with consumption
  11. schuesseled192

To be honest, I've stopped building shields in supcom. Unless I feel I am going to come under attack, it's a waste of energy. Rather build planes with it and kill anything approaching before it can get to my base.

The only good thing about shields in supcom is that it makes sniping your commander harder, certainly still possible, but you have that just tiny winy margin of safety.

If anything what they should change about PA is commander snipes, they are bad for gameplay.

Having the ability to construct HQ's and Subcommanders, any of which could carry on if the original commander unit was destroyed, would make this game so much better. Without creating the literal never-ending war that can happen when you have to hunt down every engineer and factory in the solar system in 'supremacy' mode when that makes it in.
    Pendaelose likes this.
  12. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Well there is a game mode for that.

But really it does depend on the map types you play on, and what exclusions you use.

Personally I ban bubbles and T3, while playing on rather large maps, and with supcom it's all about intel and large map control.

Commander snipes only happen when you have lost most of your map control, and have no were to run and hide.

You don't really get that on the smaller maps.
  13. AfailingHORSE

AfailingHORSE Member

Please see:
    Also trebuchets
  14. schuesseled192

Yes but there is no middle ground.

Annihilation is too fragile, you can lose the game when you've been winning all match and are surely set to win. Deploying 1,000 t2 units means nothing if your commander trips over a rock and explodes.

Supremacy takes far too ******* long. Mostly because people just refuse to concede.
  15. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Im not sure how you make a middle ground for that, without having a game mode with like, victory points.

And really why should your enemy concede? If they can change things and fight back, why should they not?

If they are doing so to aggravate you, then you are the one who has allowed them to escape and do so.

And the supcom commanders are hardly fragile unless you have ALLOWED your enemy to get to you, that's the point of the large maps, to give you room to account for enemy would be assassins.

If you allow your enemy to assassinate you, then really you were not set to win were you? You allowed one enemy strategy to push into your most critical point and eliminate you.
    corteks likes this.
  16. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I think you're getting your gametypes mixed up... Annihilation is the "Destroy everything the enemy has" game mode, and assassination is the "kill the enemy commander" game mode. :p
  17. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Geeze. Step away, do some stuff, take a nap, and the forums blow up.

I'll just toss in my 2 cents.

First, search. There are dozens of other threads answering OP's questions.

I'm one. And there are many many others.

Well, since you ignore the forum rules and don't bother searching, I'll humor you.

PA is all about movement, map control, and attacking. Turtling simply does not work in PA. If you build up a network of shields, I'll just go around them and destroy your base. If you build up shields all around your entire base, you have no map control, and I'll out produce you because I control 3/4ths of the planet and you have no metal spots.

But most importantly, the concept of getting a huge buff in HP for all of the buildings and units inside the shield for some cheap energy, and it auto regenerates... that's simply OP and broken.

Getting a massive health boost for a bunch of units and buildings at the low cost of energy – simply doesn't work.
    corteks likes this.
  18. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Picturing that is kind of funny actually.
    I just imagine a huge army coming up to a shield and all of a sudden some fabricators are like "HAHAHA!! With these forcefields our expansions are now COMPLETELY SAFE! NOW WHAT PATHETIC REV-- wait, where are you going? STOP! GET AWAY FROM THE BASE!!"

Or in a protected base's case:
    "HAHAHA!! With these forcefields our base is now COMPLETELY SA-- Wait a second, why is the moon coming closer?"
  19. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Based on that comment I almost want shields so I can get some easy victories. lol
    Devak and tehtrekd like this.
  20. Devak

Devak Post Master General

*raises hand*
    Pendaelose, shotforce13 and shootall like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.