Give us Shields! Come on!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by wbonx, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Dang ancient ninja... :(

Also sorry, I'll stop delving off topic. :D
  2. AfailingHORSE

AfailingHORSE Member

Its was to point out that a game does not need a unit type/building type (base shield in this case) to differentiate itself from another game and I should have made that clear.

However, in PA, there is no EMP cannon. And without it in forces people to build units instead of building shields, people will not have to learn to not build shields over units because that choice is already made.

Just a general reminder that this is still in beta, or what every the greek letter of the month is (I think it is lama), and stuff how base layout works might still change. That being said, your base is on a planet is constantly spreading out, giving you a stronger and stronger hold on the planet as you take more and more territory, think of it like the chinese game of Go.

So sort like the shield more not working because the lobby you joined did not install the shield mod? The best way to check if base shields are wanted by the majority of people is to put out a mod for base shields then check the number of downloads of the mod vs the average active player base in game.
  3. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  4. mredge73

mredge73 Active Member

I like turtles and shields!
    I think they are fun, but most of the PA community does not.
    Alas, turtling just does not work in this game and adding a shield will not really help much.
    This game is about spamming units and bringing the FPS to <1.
    This won't change, if shields are added people will just spam more units. T1 Deathballs devour everything.
  5. Imsvale

Imsvale Active Member

Stalemates were sometimes bad enough in TA. SupCom only added to this, in my opinion, problem by introducing shields. I'm quite satisfied that the PA developers have chosen not to go down this path.
    shootall and lokiCML like this.
  6. mredge73

mredge73 Active Member

I used to play TA in the college dorms through the LAN network and hosted weekly tournaments. Anyway, I remember building one hell of a base one night then set my factories on patrolling routes and infinite build and went to bed. I was awaken hours later when the team down the hall finally broke through and came over to gloat. They were ill-pleased to find out that I quit playing hours before.
  7. Pinworm

Pinworm Active Member

I think shields would be an amazing addition so it's kind of a bummer they aren't going to be added bt whatever
  8. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

first of all... thanks a lot for taking the time to read my post, it was really long so I appreciate the time you took to go through my post. As for the EMP, yeah I know PA doesn't have a unit like that, they would have to make one if they ever included shields of course. Btw, its Gamma hehe... and yes your right lots of stuff still might change though I think the way bases work they've kinda nailed it down to how they want it now. As for the last comment not quite sure what you mean, but I was refering to whether Uber actually made shields into the game, you'd simply be able to disable it, sort of like how Supcom's loby, where you could disable experimentals ect... same way... modding I am not sure how that would work really, you just wouldn't be able to join the game without the same mods I suppose....
  9. Geers

Geers Post Master General

NO!
  10. spainardslayer

spainardslayer Well-Known Member

Let's just let this thread die now. It has run it's course and it's pretty obvious that the actual conversation is going nowhere. Shields are not going to be in the vanilla game, whether you like it or not. After release, someone may make a mod that adds them, so just be patient.
    tehtrekd likes this.
  11. lokiCML

12. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Really, just wait for mods to come out with them.

I mean, you are arguing that the models should be based on ponies. Because everyone on earth loves ponies. But the fact is, most people hate ponies. I think so with shields too. HOWEVER, there WILL be shields and pony models both in the mods after release. Trust me. There will be.

What if there was a pony based shield model. Would it be "Shining Armor"? /MLP
    Devak, igncom1 and lokiCML like this.
  13. lokiCML

@thetrophysystem awesome explanation.

This message kind approved by ponies.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  14. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Most people hate ponies? :(

*Cries internally*
  15. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Genghis Khan didn't.
    stuart98, Pendaelose and Devak like this.
  16. shotforce13

shotforce13 Well-Known Member

I played all supcom games and it is no where close to being the best rts ever.....

I dont want shields either, they offer nothing to game play other than giving bad players a way to survive, rather than learn new strats.

You need to grow up, and have some respect for the devs, insulting them will not get you anywhere.
    lokiCML likes this.
  17. lokiCML

Oh yes he did.
    Jesting
    igncom1 likes this.
  18. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Besides, I am just saying it is logical to say shields don't fit into macro PA.

I... how is that American? Also, how is this game Starcraft?

...But anyway, back to coherent thought, I just think the low health and the massive amounts of units makes this game unique. No other game has this many thousands of things flooded in and flung against each other and so many dying in such bulk so fast. This game is fairly unique in that. Why take it from that direction, and redirect it into experimentals and shields which have been done?

I say, just keep the game like it is, that way people can play PA when they want to play PA, supcom2 if they want to play that, starcraft if they want to play that, and in due time play PA mods which change the feel to Supcom2 or Starcraft if that is what they desire.

It is best, if this game was its own thing by vanilla, so it stands on it's own. Then, modders can make every other type of game inside of PA to cater to other game fans. C&C, Red Alert, Generals, Supcoms, Starcrafts, Zero-k, League of legends...
    corteks and lokiCML like this.
  19. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

If I know how, I will totes make a research system like SC2 for PA.

And I'll make it better too, far better, really reward fighting enemy's like proper orks should!
  20. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Anything is better than this topic.

I'd rather talk about the conflict in Ukraine than this guy's insane ramblings.
    Also, speaking of his insanity.

this guy.png
    Geers and squishypon3 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.