Get your own Kbot for $1.4M

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by movra, March 14, 2013.

1. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Finally, a kill bot custom built for total whack jobs! Mustn't smile, mustn't smile... :twisted:
  2. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

Wow, some people are wet blankets.
  3. RCIX

RCIX Member

^

The irony in complaining about a mech bot in RL on forums for a strategy game is delicious.
  4. Pluisjen

Pluisjen Member

This.
  5. RCIX

RCIX Member

It gets even better in that I'm pretty sure Knight dropped 1k on a custom commander...
  6. ucsgolan

ucsgolan Member

It looks like nothing more than a robot shaped car... I am not sure the government would give the license for this machine on traffic. Probably the customers would be rich enough to have place for it though...
  7. asgo

asgo Member

my first thought: $1.4M and in the end you get a modded car ;)
    there are quite a few robotic variants out there which combine more technological innovations, but don't have the budget to make it bigger and put weapons on it...
  8. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I lol'd when I saw it's wheels. xD
  9. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Yeah, being disappointed by a gimmick is totally questionable.

Mike
  10. RCIX

RCIX Member

Only difference I see here is scale. Sure, a 1.4m real life K-bot seems excessive, and probably is, but even most real life gimmicks contain valuable engineering challenges and and innovations. Paying 1000 dollars for a model and textures that one could apparently make for oneself, on the other hand...

(not exactly fair but it was to make a point =p)
  11. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Don't you think it's a pretty big assumption to say that the only reason I Backed at the 1K level was for the Custom Commander?

Mike
  12. sylvesterink

sylvesterink Active Member

That Kuratas monstrosity is pretty, but it's really just a toy. Knight is totally right to point to Big Dog as an example of advances in robotics. Boston Dynamics has a lot of other examples of impressive work in the field, such as Petman (a bipedal robot) and Cheetahbot (it runs faster than the fastest human). They provide some pretty stiff competition, and sometimes it's all we can do to keep up with their tech.

Besides, as an ordinary consumer, I'm sure I could find a LOT more I could do with a Big Dog than a Kuratas. (Other than get arrested for scaring the heck out of the neighbors.)
  13. taihus

taihus Member

PA is really pretty, but it's also just a toy.
  14. sylvesterink

sylvesterink Active Member

This is also correct. And that's why I'm not spending $1.4 million on it. If I'm going to spend that much money on something (assuming I had it), there are more useful things I can think of.
  15. taihus

taihus Member

Touche.
  16. RCIX

RCIX Member

I donno, if I had that much to spare, I'd look at dropping it on something like PA. There are definitely a bunch of things I'd rather do with large sums first, but once I get those out of the way...