General Address.. State of Ladder

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by nosebreaker, August 1, 2015.

1. neptunio

neptunio Active Member

I played about 5 games in the last 6 months. If I play one ladder game I will instantly return to number 1. No other ranking system is as accurate as this.
  2. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

That is until @matizpl plays a single ladder game and them demotes you to #2 position ;)

Seriously though the only issue with this 'ladder' is that it purely reflects a players skill rating (with inactive players hidden) and doesn't have the normal 'get pointz 4 playing' mechanic other ladders do to force players to grind.

This is really a pure matchmaking system with visible positions (if not the underlying skill value). I quite like it from that point of view, it shows clearly where everyone is skill wise, and astonishingly despite playing very few hours compared to the majority of players it doesn't make me look like I *totally suck* (@neptunio I'm sure you'll correctly on that haha). The thing is though with the old 'grind for points' ladders I'm usually much lower down based on the fact I don't have the free time to play games that others do.
  3. neptunio

neptunio Active Member

Matiz wishes he would be ahead of me! Last time I saw him at number 1 I played one game, took it back and changed my name to something like "YouSuckMatiz". I think the closest person to me (if everyone played one game) is yaegz.

The problem is that I opened a new account "GoW=Eshez", won about 35 games in a row (while my MMR was high) and rocketed straight up to number 1 and then (I assume) rocketed miles ahead. Now that my MMR is lower I think I could probably afford to lose quite a few games before I lost it.

I also dodged games if I didn't recognise the player, so that my rating would jump a lot quicker (again while my MMR was high). It just so happened I had figured out an OP build at the time that nobody else was doing.

More problems with the ranking system, and more reason to open a smurf if you are good and want to be highly ranked. Just make sure you don't lose one of your first 10 games against ubers and you'll be right near the top...

I remember a game where you smashed me, back when I was actually really good as well. Probably the only time I felt outplayed by anyone outside the 'old guard'. For that you have always had my respect.
    Last edited: August 8, 2015
    cdrkf likes this.
  4. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I agree with you on the issue of gaining a lot of points on an initial good run (when I first joined the ladder I went in straight into Uber by winning all my initial games. What I also find strange is how it deals with moving once your placed- I had a bad run (lost about 3 games against other Uber players) which dropped me into Plat and despite winning a lot more games I've never really moved much since. I'm guessing the fairly small number of players makes any skill changes result in bigger movements and larger gaps?

Also that game was a good one :) It's good to know that when on form I can give you 'A Listers' a decent fight :p