Games!

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by Geers, March 4, 2015.

1. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

If it's literally a stolen model then yeah, that's illegal. But if it's simply a remake of the models then for me, personally, not. Obviously you can make a model visually identical without it actually being the same models, again just look at any video game's weapons. They're always using at least one reference weapon.

And if you think big companies don't love to show how easily they can stomp the little guys you need to check out all the false copyright claims going on in the youtube stream. Especially to tiny youtubers who can't get anywhere because nobody cares.
  2. Geers

Geers Post Master General

This doesn't add up. At all.

So they're using someone else's work to impress the press now? And get good early reviews to make a profit? Welp that's not legal.

And why would you put someone else's work into a press presentation? What a HORRIBLE idea. The only place that should EVER happen is when you pitch a game to someone. And when you do that you GIVE CREDIT to your sources.

If he's not outright lying, he's misleading. Look at the comparison screenshots. They aren't on the same angle, and there's no way they didn't do that on purpose.

They're relying entirely on Activation hate and playing the "weak defenceless indie dev underdog" card so hard it gave the dealer a paper cut.

They say they won't be taking it to court but then go on to say they will make Activision pay. HOW!? Somehow I don't think asking nicely is going to help, and if they're not going to court, the only other option I can think of is just stealing from Activision more.

And they claim they've suffered a huge loss in profits, but never reveal how the figures they come up with were calculated.

They've re-uploaded their game several times to wipe reviews, deleted comments, stolen assets, and now when someone with weight starts to call them out on their **** they start whining. Don't let you're hatred of Activision blind you on this.

Oh and here are some helmets from the game:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. Geers

A) The guns aren't based on real guns.

B) What benefit is there for Activision for doing this, besides defending their work? They can't exactly just take the ad revenue.
  4. squishypon3

A) Why does this matter? The real guns were made by a designer just the same as the fake weapons. If I made a real world replica of these cod weapons to the detail and someone 3d modeled it- is it not illegal then? My replica wasn't illegal after all.

B) Because it shows how big their **** is. There's no reason for big studios to flag tiny youtubers reviewing their movies, games, whatever other than because they can.
  5. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

I don't really care by now.

yes these guys are in deep **** but I honestly don't think they intended to publish the game with any assets that could cause them legal issue. It would be stupid on their part.

but either way it's really starting to look like there will be a court case and Activision will win. but we (the gamers) lose out.
    Last edited: June 29, 2016
  6. squishypon3

And while these helmets are obviously based on other ips it's totally not infringing. Do you know how much the master chief helmet (Mark VI) pops up in other games?
  7. Geers

Come on Pony. Those helmets aren't "based" on others. They've copied someone else's design. And then put it into their own commercial product. And somehow I don't think they have permission.

A) It's LOSE. Stop triggering my pet peeve.

B) What do we lose? Oh no... not Dino Prelude...

Sorry but they've very clearly cobbled together their guns from stolen assets, Activision winning just means Trek gets shut down.
  8. tatsujb

I really can't believe gaming today comes down to guns. It's a crying damn shame.

There about a division by zero going on with the number of fluks I give about how guns look in video games.

They really could have been bright pink square boxes I would have bought Orion just the same.
    tunsel11 likes this.
  9. Geers

It's not about how guns look. It's about stolen assets.

Anyway it's all over now:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterra...ion_lead_developer_david_prassel_admits_some/

This did get some coverage from TB:

And Jim Sterling:

www.thejimquisition.com/trek-versus-activision-how-orion-went-from-victim-to-villain-in-one-night/

One "interesting" thing about Jim's article is that it mentions some legal threats made on reddit that I wasn't previously aware of. Now, those threats were utterly meaningless from both a practical and legal sense of the word, but they were nonetheless made. The dev later went on to claim his account was hacked and provided a screenshot of his reddit login activity that did show a login from Russia. However that person in Russia was apparently using the same ISP he was. Which is... difficult to believe.
  10. tatsujb

well this brings to light many elements that I didn't have on the table.

Seems this studio has a long-running tradition of acts of bad faith.

I just think it'd be stupid to assume the indie game industry isn't starved to death and cornered into illegality.

I'm not defending his acts, just saying that those who are in the same situation yet deftly avoid all controversy have gone extinct, so it's just a desperate act of survival.

I'm telling you indie game quality wouldn't be so shiit if the industry wasn't running at a bazillion miles an hour. the kind of speed start-ups just can't pay for.

@Geers had you watched the tb video at the start of this? your past statements in the thread are so resemblant to tb's.
  11. Geers

No offence tatsu but it's equally stupid to assume the indie dev is just the poor little innocent party being bullied by the big bad publisher. When I first read the news I looked at Trek's comparison and "thought ehhhh well they're kinda similar but probably not enough for a DMCA".

Then all the other threads started popping up and there was no arguing what they all said. All those comparisons.

Indie games aren't bad. You just think that because there are so many of them. The barrier to entry has been lowered so much it's gone underground and now people who have no idea what the fluck they're doing are flooding Greenlight/Early Access with their "games". Half of them don't even fit the most generous definition of video game and none of those shitty things are ever going to improve. Sometimes you can just tell, it's all downhill.

I watched TB's video a little while after it was uploaded. He did bring up a couple of points I didn't consider, like "how the fluck did you get that lost profits number?"
  12. Devak

Devak Post Master General

No. This is just a studio with a bad resume.

Agreed.
  13. squishypon3

I know it is, it was just a typo- sheesh.
    That's really not that difficult to come up with, obviously by taking average daily income.

That is assuming there are stolen assets, and not in house made assets of copied visuals. There's a difference between copying and stealing.

edit: I recognize the guy who'd made the assets was fired, but there was never really any proof of actual stolen models. As the guy himself said "remake" implying he made the originals, maybe just looking between the words and playing devils advocate. But whatever.
    Last edited: June 30, 2016
  14. Geers

I told you. Pet peeve m8. That bloody typo is way too common for my liking it flucking drives me nuts.

If the game was taken down, shouldn't it be 100%? I'm sorry but those are some very high numbers, and just saying them without giving any indication of how they were calculated is not convincing.

Anyway it's OVER now so let's just move on.

A kind soul on reddit gave away PA: Titans and I managed to snag it. Literally the second I got to the main menu I had a friend invite from something "Studios" I don't remember the first bit. Anyone know what's up with that?
  15. Geers

BEAT THIS BASTION!

tehtrekd and Nicb1 like this.
  16. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

team MLA victory!
  17. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

Inspired by AOE2.
    Personally I'm looking forward to this and hope that it will turn out good. We need more RTS games on the modern market.
    Last edited: July 8, 2016
  18. tatsujb

could be pretty good. call me curious.
  19. tatsujb

20. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

tunsel11 likes this.