Games!

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by Geers, March 4, 2015.

1. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

Can't remember if I have you on steam D: I basically play TF2 if I'm bored and want to run around, WoW if I'm bored and want to chat to specific people. Tempted to play 6 more hours of SMNC so I can get 1000 hours.
    Did play Alien: Isolation on Oculus last night though, was like 1000x better. Sense of scale is amazing, though horrifying during that one death anim where you're on the floor and the Alien crawls over you.
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  2. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I'm "Festive Marshmallow Vinyl~" on Steam, and I don't think you have me added yet. X3
  3. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

tell me when you do, and ill record it to youtube in a lets play
  4. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Slightly older game, but recently I started playing SpaceChem. It's a puzzle game where you create machines that put together atoms to make molecules. It's probably one of the harder puzzle games I've ever played and getting a working solution to a level is always extremely satisfying.

If you're into puzzle games, it comes highly recommended.

5. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

6. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

http://www.wcsaga.com/

Wing Commander, remade with a modern graphics engine, a very well written (and performed) story and best of all totally free :)

If you like space games, this is a must imo.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  7. Geers

Geers Post Master General

tatsujb likes this.
  8. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

WAT !?

you have an occulus?

you never mentioned that.

you should put up a thread describing your experiences with it. (even and especially if they're not overwhelming)
  9. kvalheim

Nah, someone brought their DK1 to LAN on tuesday and we had a sort of contest thing on one of the Alien challenge maps. I was the only person to actually finish it, mind, but then I did do QA on that game all last summer. There was also some dumb Chair "virtual experience" before we had A:I installed, but it was a bit pretentious XD

Playing stuff with actual production value convinced me a lot more of VR, since most I've played before was student projects at our degree show or at Dare.
  10. tatsujb

yeah all the more reson to write up a post.
  11. kvalheim

I'm in class and supposed to be working on 3D coursework tho >.<
    squishypon3 likes this.
  12. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Yeah I'm a backer of Star Citizen. It isn't Wing Commander either :p

If your a fan of the Wing Commander series (including the story line, races, ships et al') then Saga is a great game (with official permission from Robert's, who incidentally likes the game).

Star Citizen looks like it will be fantastic when it's finished, still this is free and something you can play now. If you like an old skool, story driven space combat sim then I can't recommend it enough (it also plays through the Story of WC3 from a different perspective, and I always think that WC3 was the best of the series from a story perspective, though WC4 is pretty good too).
  13. tatsujb

14. kvalheim

So I installed Unreal Engine 4 this morning, and the new Unreal Tournament is pretty fun. Movement's changed a bit too; you still have the old double-tap dashing, but there's no longer a double jump unless you grab boots. You can bounce off walls though which is fun and vaguely parkour-y.
    Also, EVERYONE is **** at it on current servers, I've been wrecking face all morning.
  15. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Oh hey that reminds me. I got this Early Access arena shooter (which uses the Unreal Engine) called Toxikk. There's only about 2 maps (well technically 3 but the update that adds a third is due any second now) but what's in the game is tight Hong Kong streets for DM and a big Rocky Mountains valley for CTF (it's not actually a flag but eh).

It has some really nice little features, such as:
    Pressing R will automatically select the weapon with the highest damage out of the ones you're carrying
    Pressing Q will make you invisible for a few seconds
    Pressing F makes you ragdoll. This is labelled as "feign death" in the bindings. It also makes you ignore fall damage
    Pressing G spawns a hoverbike Tron-style (this ability has to recharge and only works on CTF. Or maybe it only works on the Rocky Mountain map because that's the only one big enough for vehicles I don't know)
    Double tapping any direction key will make you hop in that direction, pressing shift also makes you hop in the direction you're running.

In CTF the only vehicle you can use when carrying the "flag" is the hoverbike. I think that's a nice balance.
    Vehicles can be taken down by any weapon as long as you can put enough bullets into it
    The hoverbike will ragdoll you if you crash into anything or if it's destroyed. This is kind of annoying because even though the hoverbike has a jump ability you might hit the ground too hard, overpower the anti-grav and fall on your face.
    Mounting your bike in mid-air and dismounting in mid-air allows for some swanky moves.

So far the only real complaint I have is that there doesn't seem to be any servers ever except for one or two 350 ping ones because everyone hates Australia (they're all player-hosted atm so to be expected but still).
    Weapons all have alternate fires, except they're pretty boring:
    Crappy (no really, get a real weapon NOW) starter pistol does burst fire (which has way too much time between bursts)
    Assault rifle has a grenade launcher
    Shotgun fires double the pellets it normally would (slower than normal shot)
    Energy rifle shoots a lightspeed laser beam
    Sniper rifle zooms in
    Flamethrower shoots fireball
    Rocket launcher has vehicle lock-on
    WMD super explosion BFG has an Idon'tknowIhaven'ttriedyet

That patch that comes out any second now will add a melee hammer(?)/repair tool.

Also the names for the builds are genius, from oldest to newest:
    Wasabi (0.7)
    Curry
    Basil
    Parsley
    Ginger
    Vanilla (1.0)

See what they did there?

Whole roadmap is here:
    http://forum.toxikk.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=993

Oh and also the Rocky Mountain map has interactive elements. You can make the bridge tip to one side so on one side driving forward will send you into the chasm and from the other side you get some nice air-time. And inside the bases you can make that massive drill spit fire everywhere for a few seconds.
    Last edited: March 7, 2015
    xankar and cdrkf like this.
  16. tatsujb

@Geers talk about fuel-pumped!!! that **** is running on kerosene plus NOS! too fast-paced for me i'd say.

dunno if you ever played Crysis 2 online but that **** taught you how unfair the world could be.
    Last edited: March 6, 2015
    tunsel11 likes this.
  17. xankar

xankar Post Master General

TOXIKK looks extremely entertaining, I think i'll buy it. Although the low player count is a bit off-putting, do you know if it's a bit more active during different times?
    xerkt likes this.
  18. squishypon3

Too fast paced? Pffff..

You'd be suprised how quick you get into it. ;P
  19. squishypon3

You shold give Reflex a go as well, a bit more traditional. (No vehicles for example ;P )
  20. xankar

xankar Post Master General

But I love vehicles!
    I saw reflex a while back but it didn't really pique my interest, TOXIKK on the other hand look pretty awesome and so I bought it. It's a lot of fun; 8/10 because of lack of big maps :p
    xerkt and squishypon3 like this.