Gameplay, Units & Balance

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by scathis, January 9, 2014.

1. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Read my previous post in this thread (page 12, I guess) for more details about this system. I think that having this arbitrary number may be a better decision than either on/off or per unit cost. You can call it arbitrary, but it's pretty close to existing bomber ammo mechanics.[/quote]
    I don't see a bomber as a good comparison because Bombers have other aspects of their design that regulate how often they drop bombs where as Teleporters don't seem to have the same potential so far.

That is not different from anything else in the game really, in particular factories.

Mike
  2. MCXplode

MCXplode Active Member

As far as I know the teleporter gate they are adding to the game is a mini form of the galatic gate, but don't know if it will allow quantum tunnelling betweet solar systems or if it can only be used in the current solar system.
  3. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

If you put up a good argument, and state the flaws of the current construction. Then that is good in itself. If you believe that whatever you are working on will not "fit" into Scathis version of teleporters, then show the merits of yours. Make another write up like you did for the last one.

This is one of those facts that change the element of game play quite effectively. If there is more then one planet. Is the only predictable path of invasion through[A two planet solar system with one moon respectfully] : Invade Your local planet moon----> send your local planet moon to other planet moon solar system---> bombard planet surface with unit cannons or asteroids---> beach head planet surface and place teleporters to finish invasion.

To me that seems long winded and open to failure at any moment due to a stalemate. Unless we theory some more about how it wouldn't. Its not very adaptable to multiple planet systems.

The point i was trying to make is that power infrastructure will be required if you exponentially increase power cost compared to army size. If you do finally get that beach head. you better hope to have enough power as well to establish it correctly. and judging from your quote below about the cooldown in price:

It would have its own arbitrary set of numbers you would have to fix to make it balanced.

There is arbitrary numbers everywhere, its just a matter of having uber have the reigns with what is logical and reasonable. I would chose my arbitrary number for cool down to prevent an army from warping right back down after you just sent them up to a moon teleporter. If you do choose to build more teleporters. Then its just more teleporters you have to micro effectively and time properly to get your army everywhere. My idea isn't perfect but no idea is.
  4. ORFJackal

ORFJackal Active Member

Looking at the end-game in http://www.twitch.tv/uberentertainment/b/495510950 it's quite clear that teleporters don't make proxy bases unnecessary - at least when invading a planet you'll also need to build air superiority locally. Also since the advanced orbital radar has been nerfed, you must rely more on scouting - an air factory producing scouts with a whole-planet area patrol may become the primary intel method.
    Pendaelose and stormingkiwi like this.
  5. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

Well considering interstellar travel is not going to be in the game, as far as we have been told, I don't think galactic gates are going to happen...

Which is why i'm confused by your statement :confused:
  6. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

Well, I would like to have also a troop transport as well. Something able to travel from planet to planet.

Or a super unit that function like an air carrier, or unit carrier. Super, crazy expensive 'cos it builds its own units by itself, so for when it reaches the planet to invade, it can deploy such an army the moment it touch down.
    Pendaelose likes this.
  7. Arachnis

Arachnis Well-Known Member

I guess with the teleporter, games might turn into a "whoever got there first has the planet".

This would be solved with the unit cannon. So I think I can see a pattern here.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  8. carlorizzante

Indeed, how do you invade a planet? If the enemy controls the whole territory, you're gonna be spotted as soon as you touch down. And the Astraeus carries one unit per time. Also it takes ages to travel in space.

We need the unit cannon. Or a carrier able to transport more units at the same time.
    Pendaelose likes this.
  9. Arachnis

Arachnis Well-Known Member

Patience, young padawan. :D
    carlorizzante likes this.
  10. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Chronosoul, please stop referencing my old Exponential Cost system, that is not what I am proposing here.

Mike
  11. chronosoul

Alright, Fair enough.
  12. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Dead horse is dead.

Finally, ;)
  13. chronosoul

To Clarify, I didn't think i was beating a dead horse. If it looked like that, my mistake.

I was just really really curious what Knight envisioned now for teleporters, and he happened to link to his old material. I thought it was fair game.

This replay is in no way trying to egg him on on the matter though.
  14. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Not blaming you for the dead horse. I just feel like the last 2 pages have been a back and forth of "But what about this...." and "It MIGHT work, but what about THIS?" quickly followed by "Why don't we just wait for the patch or something?"

Ok, back to F5.
    chronosoul and stormingkiwi like this.
  15. carlorizzante

Beside, it would be quite a choreography. Imagine invading a planet controlled by the adversary this way.

First you take control of the orbit, then you send a dozen of those trooper transports, and the opponent manages to shot down a couple before they reach the ground. Of course those ships should precipitate like broken zeppelins and explode commander-like, with a nuclear detonation as soon as they impact with the ground.

Then the rest of the transports touch down and a horde of small, nasty units swarm from the back doors of the transport while it absorbs damage on its front and covering up. Eventually the transports are set at fire and explode one after one, but the swarm already rush into the first line of defense of the enemy, crunching turrets and walls.

Eventually your first wave ends up beaten off, but before new turrets can be rebuilt, there you send an other dozen of troop transports and all happens again - 'till you finally grind his base.

That would make for a great madness to be watch :p

And also so good we don't have to live those things for real like our gran' fathers did. May them rest in peace.
    Last edited: January 16, 2014
    zweistein000 and Pendaelose like this.
  16. MCXplode

MCXplode Active Member

I must say I am not a fan of the new balance changes and orbital being so cheap. Too easy for opponents to run and hide everywhere. Advanced orbital fabber aircraft that can be build from level 1 factory then all the sudden start cranking out solar panels, advanced radar and such. That stuff should only be able to be built at tier 2 from tier2 factory. I am not against an orbital faciltiy at level 1 but it shouldn't be able to build advanced units or fabbers right away. Should just stick to basic stuff like basic radar satellite, astraus, low level orbital fighters but not orbital lazer platforms stuff like that. And the teleporter gates don't use any power hmmm....:rolleyes:
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  17. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

there should be another radar satellite, which is incredibly expensive but has the old functionality of revealing a whole planet. its the only way to find enemy commanders effectively in late game on other planets
  18. ledarsi

ledarsi Post Master General

How about instead of an omni satellite, we get an observation helicopter which has slow movement speed for a flying unit, but fantastically good vision range?

Instead of just building one exceedingly expensive omni satellite in the late game, you build a bunch of observation helicopters and spread them out.
    zweistein000 and ORFJackal like this.
  19. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

Though that would be much much harder to keep track of and defend. Personally I feel it over complicates things if that is the case.
    With regards to orbital moving to basic - I think it's ok, but we certainly need to see more games play out to know the full extent of the implications of the changes. Don't forget it's not just orbital. Gunship rushes at about 8 minutes are possible in team games which without prior air defence is impossible to counter as you are unable to build while a pack of 5 to 10 are hover overhead.

Furthermore, it'll rapidly speed up the openings of big orbital games, and once exclusions have been added, you can always remove orbital.

OR, maybe that could be a toggle for each game in options; whether orbital is 'primary' or 'delayed'
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  20. chronosoul

hmm. if we just had a Firefly or some Air scout or something that filled this role somehow without encroaching on another role... HMMMMMMM...Hmmmmm.
    stormingkiwi likes this.