Gameplay SupCom2 vs PA

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by aldawile, October 11, 2013.

?

Will PA gameplay be more like:

1. TA Total Anihillation

67.1%
  2. SC Supreme Commander

22.9%
  3. SC2 Supreme Comander 2 (with consoles)

10.0%
  1. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

When they release multiple windows, that'll clear up lots of things. The notification system they've talked about will also help, even if you don't set up multiple windows.

I'm sure they'll also have another way of switching planets down the line.

Regardless, when talking specifically about planets, there will be extra clicks.

Kinda off topic from OP's discussion about comparing to other games – which I still don't quite see the point.
  2. Bhaal

Bhaal Active Member

Currently PA feels a lot more like Supcom2 than like TA and thats my and others biggest concern.
  3. brianpurkiss

I strongly disagree. PA doesn't have anything like research – which was one of the biggest downsides to SupCom2.
  4. kalherine

kalherine Active Member

+1
    Culverin yep, total agreed with you.
    brianpurkiss you are massively rong.
    Bhaal good to see Top FA players here.
  5. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

you realize that devs tend to suck at their games skill wise? I would say they turtled to show off that asteroid. That did not represent the "effective" way to play
  6. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

I recall neutrino condemning SupCom2 in the strongest way possible for a professional who has to consider PR whilst choosing his words, so the OP doesn't have much to worry about there.

To my knowledge the only people working on PA who worked on Sup2 are the AI guy and the path finding guy, the only two areas that everyone agreed were good in Sup2.
  7. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Do you mean the scale? Cause the relation between a unit and a mountain is the only thing that both games have in common so far. Everything else is different.
  8. brianpurkiss

Care to elaborate?

If you claim someone is wrong, you need to back it up somehow.
  9. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

hahaha....

I agree with brianpurkiss.
    I think Mavor made a very, very wise decision in terms of game design for PA.
    If it changes the battlefield, you should be able to kill it.

Want more mass income? Build advanced mex.
    Want more power? Build more power plants.
    Want more production power? Build more fabbers and factories.

I like having all the chess pieces on the board.
    There should be a counter for everything, and the counter is to kill it.
    :D
  10. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

exaclty! unfortunately though, right now this needs alot of work as with the introduction of orbital and nuclar there are tons of situations with which you're left with no counter. and the fact you can currently nuke a loaded anti nuke just by shooting on the edge of it's range makes no sence to me.
  11. Culverin

Throw a small moon at my planet?
    I'm ok with no counter for that.
    It's kinda the point of this game. It should be an omfg moment.

Something like harvesting an asteroid from the asteroid belt?
    Probably a counter.

SupCom balanced nukes well.
    - Nuke def is cheaper than nuke
    - Nuke def radius > Nuke damage radius

Or are people going to cry "turtle" at this one too? :confused:
    kalherine likes this.
  12. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

no that's not what i'm talking about.

have you discovered that in competitive play there is no stage where the game goes to haleys? there is no need. it is much faster to kill all oposing coms with the orbital gun.
    so people just rush that then keep orbital superiority. In a system with tons of other planets and moons.

so you don't get to toy around with planets just because of that.
  13. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Are the Camera shortcuts not enough until the multiple view ports are added?
  14. dekate

dekate Member

it will be fun like TA was.

and i read a few days ago, that chris taylor is planning a new TA ... a real sequel this time.

and to add, supcom2 was fun, to a point, then you needed mods, like the total revamp mod wich practicly made supcom2 to supcomFA ... i got the supcom feeling pretty much back at this then.
  15. brianpurkiss

I dunno. I'm sticking with single planet combat until Orbital is more refined. Whatever the case may be, more refinement needs to be done.

TA was sold. Source: http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/07/22/t...by-wargaming-the-owners-of-gas-powered-games/
    So I guess he's teaming up with the new owners for a new TA?
  16. Culverin

GPG was sold to Wargaming first.

Then they grabbed the rights to TA.
    kalherine likes this.
  17. kalherine

kalherine Active Member

Talk about that seems Chris taylor will make something about a new Total anhilation ,just dont now witch one.
  18. dekate

dekate Member

i do know this all, lurked the official forums for a feeled eternity.
    i just read about that, he (taylor) spoke with some people in a podcast and he hinted something about a game, where his fans should trust their fantasy. (about something like a new TA)

enough derailing now :p

a link to the podcast i mentioned: http://www.cnc-inside.de/planetary-annihilation/chris-taylor-developing-total-annihilation-2-1259
  19. Bhaal

Bhaal Active Member

Yes the scale has a big impact on the game. Currently the scale does not even come close to TA but very close to supcom2. The biggest concern for most people in supcom2 was the scale and now with PA they did the same mistake again. It drives me crazy, how this could have happened and even more crazy that people complained early enough, but still Uber was not able to change it.

This game is now balanced around a fucked up scale. Without basic finished things like scale there is no point in balancing and i cant understand how this can be called beta.
  20. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

If I recall correctly, there was a scale thread and in this thread someone from Uber said that they can change the scale pretty easily and will probably experiment with it alongside final balancing work.