Gameplay downgraded?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by valheria, August 30, 2014.

1. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

How does running on the game save you from lag?
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

maybe I should make a thread explaining what time dilatation, server-client and simspeed is.
  3. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

Its like people with good hardware ha
    Like I postet earlyer in the thread, the SIM was okay before, but in the current PTE its really taking a "hit" :)
  4. tatsujb

dude this is your last chance to save yourself from me forever looking at you the same way I look at @melhem19 ....ok?

You're smarter than this. I know it, I'm intimately persuaded you are.

but your reply just there means either one of a couple things:
    you didn’t read my post at all
    you understood exactly 0% of it.
    you do not speak english
    something of the sort.

Your answer has exactly ZERO correlation with what I wrote

please; PLEASE take the time to read again.
  5. adoghost

adoghost Active Member

undone this pls, i want my beta build back!!!!
  6. aevs

aevs Post Master General

tatsujb, this is not server time-dilation. Server speed is unaffected. This is client-side only, and it only occurs when and if the sim framerate tanks. As far as I can tell, it basically just lerps positions, etc. to smooth out animations when the server is suffering, so that your game doesn't look like a jittering mess.
    spartan234, optimi and squishypon3 like this.
  7. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

You're basing off how it'll be done based on the peer to peer version whilst this is being hosted by a server. The results are not the same.
  8. tatsujb

"server-client"

i'm going to explain it all. Add peer-to-peer and synchronous gameplay to the list
  9. tatsujb

the reason we get slowdown at all is because the SERVER is running the game too slow.

were they beefier (and the code for slowdown removed) we wouldn't get slowdown at all.
  10. squishypon3

I understand peer-to-peer though, peer-to-peer is when servers information is being shared between all computers rather than being given from a specific computer. Each systems have their own issues, the issue with peer-to-peer is that if there is a slow computer the sim speed is slowed down for everyone because everyone's sharing information. When the server is a specific computer and you host your own super server the sim speed will never slow down for everyone as the computer could keep a high sim speed all game.
  11. igncom1

All you have done is kind insult me, but whatever I suppose.

Server side hosting for games ensures that the game can run at full speed without the hardware slowing the game down.

However the slowing down of gameplay happens when a slow client uses the server to play a game, slowing the game down so everyone is kept in time with the slowest player.

Hardware side, the game can run at 100%, but internet side the game cannot with a slow client, like me.

But you assert that by hosting our own servers that slow clients won't matter?

Yeah if the game doesn't slow for the slowest connector, then it becomes unplayable for that slow client, compared to the slower smooth gameplay via slowing the sim down.

Making it so that either you are fast like everyone else, or simply are unable to even play MP or even use server side stuff at all.

I don't see this as a good thing.
  12. adoghost

adoghost Active Member

i want my normal speed back!!! u.u
  13. tatsujb

yup and time dilatation is kinda like coding a version of P2P to PA.

here though we could say it's not as bad as P2P since only the server will slow down the rest. however it basically IS as bad since the servers are outrageously over-bogged.
  14. squishypon3

The game won't be slowing down to the speed of the slowest connector, because the games are being hosted by a server rather than being peer-to-peer.
  15. tatsujb

all of that is wrong.
  16. igncom1

Then a player with slow internet gets shafted as the game steams ahead of what he is able to receive.

Its about the internet speed of that player.

Maybe it is, but that's my understanding of it.
  17. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

I wonder with this enabled have will they ever make it possible to do a 40 player game? If the slowest pc drags all down...that much..
    bradaz85 likes this.
  18. tatsujb

your understanding of this is exactly what's been at stake here for two pages now.

If you wouldn't mind sitting calmly down and reading our explanations out you could join us in the realm of the know.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peer-to-peer
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Client–server_model
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/gameplay-downgraded.63351/#post-987096
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/gameplay-downgraded.63351/#post-987120
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/gameplay-downgraded.63351/page-2#post-987157

all I've said will make sense.
  19. tatsujb

that is a physical limitation that CANNOT be removed with code!
    exactly none of this debate is about internet speed.
  20. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

No, it can't. And thats the issue we are experiencing right now.

The server is currently UNABLE to keep up with the task. It's the only possible limiting factor, and it failed. There are bugs and poorly chosen algorithms in the server which are making it incapable of running the simulation at 10FPS. And we are not just talking about factor 2 or 3, but for some cases performance falls short by a factor of 20-30x which you can't possibly compensate just by throwing bigger CPUs at the server.
    The server will NEVER wait for the client. If the client is to slow, game will feel unresponsive (due to low FPS and dropped packages), but it will still run in real time. The player will still not lag behind in this case.

The time dilatation which been added added on the client, means only that the client will slow down all animations to MATCH the speed of the server, in order to prevent gaps between server frames from becoming visible on the client.

Previously units would move at full speed for 1/10th of a second, and then come to halt due to the next server frame not being ready yet. Game felt like it froze.

Now the client detects ahead that the next frame will not come for a long time, and prolongs the animation so the gap is covered and it doesn't look like a full freeze. This is most important for animations, which must NOT come out of sync with the server time as they will otherwise no longer match. E.g. when the exit ramps of factories come back up after 2 seconds real time (client time), but 2 seconds server time haven't elapsed yet, resulting in units apparently moving though closed doors.
    Last edited: August 30, 2014
    saturnerianis, Quitch and aevs like this.