Gameplay downgraded?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by valheria, August 30, 2014.

1. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

The fact remains, it has not.

So I prefer the slowdown, to a choppy version.

Either over my slow internet or on my standard machine, there is going to be slow down for me, so I still prefer the sim slowing down to a choppy experience.

My game will not be fast on my machine or connecting to yours, I will have a slower game regardless.
  2. c4ptainpronin

c4ptainpronin Active Member

My thoughts on time dialation.

Seriously, make it optional or something, but dont force that **** on us, its annoying as ****. Wasnt the whole point of having a server, that we dont have to wait up on the slowest computer?
    I can deal with choppy unit movement, but having an orbital war, where both sides baracade their planets with hundreds of units drag out for hours until someone quits is bull****.
    bradaz85, FSN1977 and tatsujb like this.
  3. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

no it doesn't

what proof do you have?

how is your experience relevant to others?

AND THAT'S ANOTHER POINT: now everyone's experience of the game, (in terms of speed from one match played to the next) is no longer the same.
    where before it would have been.

Now you're gamespeed will be entirely dependant on things such as : "was there and AI?" , "a patrol command?", "how many patrol commands?", "how many units?"

and you'll have to deal with a constant progression from the beginning of the match to the end of sloooooooooooowwiiiing dooooooooooooooooowwwwn

when IT SHOULDN'T BE YOUR DEAL if you have a good PC !
    Last edited: August 30, 2014
  4. tatsujb

the WHOLE POINT of server client was to avoid precisely this!
    I'mma join @c4ptainpronin on this since it's it's the perfect reaction:
  5. Justicius

Justicius New Member

6. igncom1

Indeed, and for those of you with fast computers and internet speeds, you won't even notice it anyway.

Hosting a server? It's the servers speed, and it's up to your internet connection to hold it up, private server? Your own computers speed.

But frankly we don't live in a perfect world, so frankly a person with a slow computer is always going to be slow, a person with slow internet is always going to be slow, so unless we just exclude people like them from even playing at all, this is the best solution by far.
  7. igncom1

That the server side stuff hasn't be released?

All the proof in the world.
  8. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

Well we will notice it, because the slower computers will slow all down...
  9. tatsujb

OMFG Ign

I can't even.

just start from the top I don't know how this is flying legit above your head.

you need some focus.
  10. igncom1

And that's always going to be a problem, how do you make that not a problem?

Then explain yourself in a way that isn't totally condescending.

You feel like having slow computers slow down your game when you are playing with them is unfair, yes?
  11. aevs

aevs Post Master General

I don't get the arguments against this feature. All they've done is smooth out the animations and movements client-side if and when the sim starts to suffer.
    If the sim started running at half-rate (5fps) before, your game would run at half speed, with choppy animations and hiccups.
    If the sim starts running at half-rate (5fps) now, your game will run at half speed, without choppy animations or hiccups.

Seriously, this is only to keep the game looking smooth if the server has problems. It has 0 effect on the sim speed itself. It has no downsides.

EDIT: Reading through more of this thread... it seems a lot of people misunderstood what the time dilation was for. It isn't slowing you down based on someone else's computer! Here is a direct quote:
    zaphodx, Remy561, spartan234 and 5 others like this.
  12. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

Well the Sim is suffering more, that is why we are talking about it? :) I know it cant be solved but too drag it the other way so that the sim gets even slower...Is just BAD,
  13. vorell255

vorell255 Active Member

Well said.

And obviously they will increase performance and this won't be happening all the time.
    Server hardware isn't the only thing that can cause this. You could have the most powerful machine in the world and if they code still hasn't been optimized it won't run it well.
  14. igncom1

The sim will be slower when you have to wait on slower computers, yes.

That's why I prefer the slowing smooth game slowing down thing over the choppy game thing when the game is slowed anyway.

Not to make the game slower then it will be.
  15. tatsujb

everything is explained in detail here : https://forums.uberent.com/threads/gameplay-downgraded.63351/#post-987096

the point is that this is exactly why some of us backed PA in the first place.

In the kickstarter they said they'd make PA server-client.

"server-client? pff that's some tech lingo, who would understand that? why'd they'd think it's some kind of selling point?"

that's because it IS a selling point.

it's your simulated-projectile, grand scale, flow economy RTS ....that is server-client. The first of it's name.

Finally you'll be free from bullshit lag.

This is why PA's code has been exempt for Time Dilatation TO THIS DAY.

because THAT's what we've been trying to escape. THAT'S what we don't want in such a game.

BECAUSE IF YOU HAVE TIME DILATATION ...... WHAT ..... JUST WHAT IN SEVEN BLUE HELLS IS THE POINT OF SERVER-CLIENT?

server-client is now an old relic of code picking up dust in a corner. Vestige of a time where PA hoped to be time-dilatation free.
  16. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

I can see ur point , but would you enjoy a game where 1 sec ingame is like 4 or 5 sec in real life? :)
  17. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

No you must understand. If the sim is slower the game will be slowed down no matter what.

If sim speed is 5fps you'll get only 5 frames every second and it'll appear the choppy online. (See multiplayer lag)

If sim speed is 5fps with time dilation the sim will be going 5 frames every second yet your client will make it appear to be smoothed out, it'll fill in the holes of data.

Basically the sim is the same fps in both areas and the game is actually slowed down equally as much in each instance. The game only smooths out in one rather than being choppy. This slow down makes it easier to play because you can still see every projectile moving and each unit moving rather than having your units freeze and appear far away a couple seconds later.
  18. tatsujb

*fixed that for you
    FSN1977 likes this.
  19. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

That would happen either way, with freezes or with smoothness. The sim would still be moving at the same speed it'd only appear to be smooth.
  20. aevs

aevs Post Master General

Please read my earlier post. You seem to be misinformed about the implementation. The server speed does not depend on client performance, only the other way around.
    Quitch, Raevn and squishypon3 like this.