Game wont start on Ubuntu 13.04 on steam.

Discussion in 'Support!' started by YourATowl, September 28, 2013.

1. gameender

gameender New Member

I strongly recommend not dropping support for Ubuntu 12.04. It's the stable release of the most used desktop Linux platform. I am not sure if you need any other Ubuntu 13.04 features, but you should you can just use a PPA to get GCC 4.7 on Ubuntu (I can't post a link so Google for: ubuntu gcc 4.7 ppa)

I found a guide for creating an Ubuntu 10.04 chroot on Ubuntu 12.04, it should be applicable to 12.04 on 13.04: (I can't post a link, just Google for "AOSP: step by step instructions for setting up a chrooted Ubuntu")

On server management:

You should really being using a configuration management tool to automate the configuration of your servers. It shouldn't be a "pain in the ***" to configure any server, and it if it is you are just making life hard on yourself. I recommend trying out Ansible (Tools like Chef and Puppet are more mature but harder to use)

P.S. - I am experienced Linux developer, if it were possible I would SSH into your build server and fix this problem myself in a few hours, just so I could play the game.

P.P.S - The reCAPTCHA + Link protection is really f'ing annoying thing to have on for the backer protected forums.
  2. swiftpaw22

swiftpaw22 New Member

Or they need to include that library so everyone and run their game.
  3. swiftpaw22

swiftpaw22 New Member

Getting the same problem now. No more missing library file problem, now it's just a cannot launch from Steam problem.
  4. bbrazil

bbrazil New Member

I can't figure out the command line for ld, but if you add your libstdc++.so.6 to the same directory as the PA binary, that should do it. (Tested on Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit, with the library from the bug.)
  5. gameender

gameender New Member

Beta v.54696 fixes the issue for me, thanks guys!
  6. YourATowl

YourATowl New Member

kevin@kevin-IdeaPad-Z585:~$ ls -lia /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libudev*
    60031375 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 36 Sep 28 10:47 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libudev.so.0 -> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libudev.so
  7. YourATowl

YourATowl New Member

To add, I just tried to play the updated game today (10/3/2014) and it still wont work. When trying to launch from steam it will launch the window, the window is labeled with planetary annihilation but the window remains blank (black). Really wish this would start working...
  8. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Can you check, do you have "Tear Free" and "Wait for Vertical Refresh" enabled in Catalyst Control Center?
  9. YourATowl

YourATowl New Member

Just did and didn't do anything different with it enabled
  10. SXX

SXX Post Master General

You probably want to try Catalyst 13.10 Beta.
    I'm personally don't use proprietary drivers because I'm can't manage to get stable version work with PA and beta's aren't stable enough.
  11. swiftpaw22

swiftpaw22 New Member

Yes that fixed it, thanks!
  12. poyepolomi

poyepolomi New Member

Hi. When I launch the game through Steam on Linux, I am not automatically logged in PA with the Uber ID. Whereas on Windows, it automatically logs me in. How can I fix this? Thanks.
  13. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Nope, this can't be fixed.
    Valve don't provide Steamworks SDK for x86_64 Linux games yet, so Uber can't automatically authenticate you.
  14. UberWilliam

UberWilliam Uber Alumni

Valve has 64 bit client library support in the works. I got a preview drop of the library, but it didn't work with the public steam client that was out when I tested it, so I'm still sitting on it. As soon as all the pieces line up, we'll get it into the build.
    SXX likes this.
  15. swiftpaw22

swiftpaw22 New Member

Even for the non-Steam version of PA? Or are you using Steam SDK for all versions?
  16. UberWilliam

UberWilliam Uber Alumni

With the Windows build, we link in the Steam libs but don't make any calls into it unless it is the Steam distribution. This means that our build machine only has to make a single build that we package up two different ways (with very slight differences). Causes no problems at all.

Hopefully the linux libraries will work the same way, but I'll have to test it to be sure.
  17. swiftpaw22

swiftpaw22 New Member

Cool! I haven't tried the non-Steam version out but it would certainly be nice if there was an option to save user/pass in the client regardless of Steam auto-authentication. Jus a thought. ^n.n^
  18. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Password saving was removed for security purposes and I don't think Uber put it back specially for Linux.
    You can easily achieve result you need with a modded login form, e.g you can save your password right into HTML.
  19. YourATowl

YourATowl New Member

To be honest, I'm not sure how to do that. I download the .zip but from there I don't know what to do. Just downloaded the new update through steam for the game. Still the same issue, it'll open the game but it's just a empty black window.
  20. retrry

retrry Member

Version 1.26 Steamworks SDK released
    11/07/13
    The Steamworks SDK has been updated with new APIs for Family Sharing, 64-Bit Linux binaries and a new UGC interface to query Workshop items.

So we can probably expect this working soon? :)