Game running less than 1 FPS on an Titan SLI

Discussion in 'Support!' started by oni222, June 18, 2013.

1. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I don't want to offend you, but most of people have dual monitor and SLI/CF it's only your fantasies. Most of people around have middle-end 1-2 years old hardware with one monitor, some of them have laptops with even worse performance.

Dual monitors and SLI/CF owners it's usually 5-7% of players or even less. And yeah i got dual-screen setup, but I hate 16:9 TVs, so I can't buy good monitor for $50.

Developers read most of topics/post on these forums and you can be sure that they know about your problem, but they can't visit each thread and post updates on each bug/feature. They can do that, but then nobody will make game.

Also developers have their own todo lists and they can decide what features/bugs are more important currently. I think you agree that multi-planet is more important than SLI or Multi-monitors support, so please be patient and wait.

PS: Problem with Surround/Eyefinity performance it's just problem of general renderer performance. When everybody get better performance on their one-monitor setups you get better performance for your 2-3 monitors.
  2. oni222

oni222 Member

I am not offended but every body that I know all have at least two graphics cards. In fact I am a network admin for HCA healthcare and most the people I know in both my private and business life all own multi monitor setups and most importantly all have either SLI or Crossfire.

I understand that people with low end machines exist but saying SLI and CF is for "5-7% of players or even less" is a mistake.

Regardless I appreciate your reply and thank you for taking the time to post in my thread.
  3. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Please check Steam hardware survey:
    http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey?platform=pc
    50% of Steam users still have 4GB RAM or less and only dual-core CPU. You really think that any of them got dual monitor setup or SLI/CF?

And yeah, I'm programmer, but most of people I know don't have SLI/CF. Why? Because only hardcore gamers and programmers use desktop computers, others usually buy notebooks and none of them have SLI/CF inside.
  4. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

I'm a hardcore gamer with a desktop and my motherboard doesn't even support SLI because it only has one 16x PCI port. So yeah. **** SLI.
  5. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Bad thing about SLI/CF is that many people who buy second GPU doesn't even know that their motherboard doesn't support it properly.

It's not enough to just have multiple x16 PCIe, motherboard also need to support x8+x8 or x16+x16 mode. Many people pay tons of $$$ for second GPU and then it's working for them in x2+x16 or x4+x8 mode which sometimes even worse than one GPU setup.
  6. oni222

oni222 Member

I hate to throw the same page back, but you forgot the most important part:

Multi-Monitor Desktop Resolution (PC) 3840 x 1080 21.88%

Same URL that you quoted me.

Also the majoroty of graphics cards used in that same page is:

Other 34.58%

Guess what SLI/Crossfire in steam falls under the "Other" category.

Sorry to burst your bubble.
  7. jacoby6000

jacoby6000 Member

I hate to participate in a flame war, but steam isn't a good demographic of the whole population. Not to mention those statistics are based off of a poll (that not everybody did) or steam cloud settings (which aren't a good representation, because not everybody uses all their monitors for games)
  8. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I'ts only represents that 21.88% of people with dual monitors have 3840x1080 resolution. It's not saying everything about how many people have dual monitors setup.

It's only mean there is 34% of less-popular cards.

PS: I see that you probably don't want to listen to arguments, so I leave you and your thread alone. You can continue to live in your fantasy world where 30% of people can afford proper SLI/CF hardware, but not think that any developer will take you fanatic opinion seriously. It's like saying that there is 8% of Linux desktop users when there is 1-2%. :D
    Last edited: July 19, 2013
  9. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Steam Hardware survey is totally okay, it's not based upon clound settings, and poll is represent reality really well. At least when we talk about average hardware like RAM/CPU.

Steam always detect Monitor resolutions correctly because Windows have good multi-monitor API and it's extremely easy to detect it's properly.
  10. asgo

asgo Member

they have a bit funny nomenclature since only few people have multi CPU boards, but that's just semantics. ;)
    do they use the resolution used ingame or just the desktop resolutions?
    If it is the latter that particular statistics doesn't tell much since almost all halfway modern cards can run two HD screens on desktop level. Just asking, because I don't know how they get their infos.
  11. bongologist

bongologist Member

Using steam for these statistics is like using wikipedia for a university exam, it just isn't feasible.

Steam does not have an exact count for PC users hardware it's basically a guess based on old forms and some data sent by cloud, it is not 100% accurate and never will be, I can't accept that in any decent argument or debate. Ask a technology expert if he would use steams statistics, I fear not.

I think what you own depends on a lot of things, your job, your location, how hardcore a gamer you really are. I had nothing at the start, but I knew by getting a job I could have a decent set-up, it's not always that easy though, but persistence paid off.

Some people simply can't afford to get super systems, I have been there, it happens.
  12. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Just desktop resolution.

There is few different APIs which give information about monitor resolutions on Windows. I got dual-monitor setup for very long time and Steam always detect it correctly, on both Windows and Linux.
  13. SXX

SXX Post Master General

If you have more reliable source for PC gaming hardware information please share it with us.

Open Steam and click "Help -> System information", this information is always pretty accurate because Valve use it for issue tracker on github and support tickets. It's what hardware survey based on.

I'm not saying that its 100% or even 90% accurate, but it's enough accurate to say that half of Steam users have low-end hardware. Also I checked this table with simple scripts:
    http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/directx/
    And there is 27.02% (without Intel HD included) of mobile graphics card for June 2013, it's 30% of laptops or even more.

If oni222 said that 5-10% of people have SLI/Multi monitor I won't argue, but he said that:
    I will argue about that because its totally not true.

I have no idea what technology experts use, but I know many game developers who actually use Steam hardware survey and saying it's statistics pretty correct.

Also just tried to find local Uber hardware&software survey (was on google docs) and accidentally found this:
    viewtopic.php?p=747370#p747370
  14. bongologist

bongologist Member

You also have to bear in mind that these steam users with lower specs will obviously not be able to play newer high spec games, regardless of their numbers, there are always going to be more casual gamers than hardcore gamers as well, so the numbers are really sketchy.

Half of the steam users could be casual gamers and have no interest in playing hardcore, high end games, so technically that wipes half of the details out from lower spec machines.

I have yet to find a reliable source of hardware specs for PC gamers, a survey should be done for people to see somewhere though.
  15. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Yeah it's true, but people with SLI/CF or multi monitor configurations cannot be higher priority than people who have middle-end hardware and sometimes can't play game at all. CF/SLI users are minority and always will be minority, it's was we argue about.

We already have small survey here:
    viewtopic.php?f=64&t=46417
    Results is here:
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1tVt3OA ... wanalytics
    Yeah, average PA backer have better HW than average Steam user, but there is no info on SLI/CF. I send request (probably to Uber) to get full table of results, so I can calculate at least how many % people with laptops we have.
  16. bongologist

bongologist Member

I don't have access to that part of the forum so couldn't see the survey, I did however have a look at the Docs link you posted, actually quite interesting to see, thanks for that.

I totally agree with you about not giving anyone priority though bud, it should all be the same.
  17. toorvis

toorvis Member

I'm running an Zotac Titan SLI setup too with 32 gb 1600mhz ram and Intel i7 3970 Extreme processor, and having the same problems at all settings. Tried removing 1 card to check if the problem persisted and it did, so I'm actually out of clues.. the game runs better (actually perfectly smooth) on my laptop with 3rd gen i5 and GT 635M card..

ยจ~ Chris

(PS: I'm not running multi monitor setup ATM so it's running at 1920x1080 settings)
    (PSS: Both computers run Win8)
  18. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

Got massive performance issues with FPS my end as well, using dual GTX 560 Ti's in SLI at a resolution of 1600x900 single monitor. Just wanted to do a quick reply to say it has absolutely nothing to do with resolution whether that worked for someone or not its not directly related to that because I'm not even gaming at 1920 right now and still got the massive slow downs. Game starts off fine in the current build but then slows up pretty damn quick to almost a hault, lowering settings to medium did almost nothing to increase performance, CPU was at 50% / RAM was at 60% and GPU was at 65% usage. System Specs Below:

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
    AMD Phenom II X6 @ 3.2ghz
    8GB DDR3 1333 RAM
    Dual Nvidia EVGA GTX 560 Ti's in sli mode (driver 306.97)
    1TB 7200 RPM HArddrive
    1000WATT PSU
    Resolution 1600x900
  19. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Disable SLI/Xfire for the game. Almost guaranteed that's the problem. Until we have time to explicitly support SLI, in most cases, it will actually hurt your performance, not help it.

You should be able to do this in software - shouldn't need to do anything more complex than tell PA.exe to not use it.
  20. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

Sounds like nvidia needs to be consulted directly on this issue since it seems to be an nvidia surround problem specifically.