Galactic War: Build 70289

Discussion in 'Support!' started by garat, August 10, 2014.

1. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I think the lag is often due to the server getting bogged down. If you press cntrl p and go through to SIM tab if its running slower than about 5 fps then the game gets really slow (should be 10 fps normally)... Area patrol, too many trees burning, and lots of orbital transfers can all cause this problem.
  2. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Yah, we looked at your replay (I realized after we had the lobby ID). That's interesting that the problem was at the start of the game, and cleared up - Was it right about the 20 minute mark it cleared up, or quite a bit longer?
    Remy561 likes this.
  3. WaylanderPK

WaylanderPK Member

Personally I haven't be able to play a games since the last patch. I get no ui once the planet renders. So I hope that gets fixed soon ;). All these lovely changes and I can't try them out :(
  4. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Can you upload your dxdiag.txt? Instructions are in my signature below.:)
  5. WaylanderPK

WaylanderPK Member

Running Linux 64-bit - Mint 13. So I'm not sure that will work :)
  6. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Can you run inxi command and pipe the output into a file then upload it here?;) What graphics driver are you using is it the proprietary one or the open-source one? If open source try the proprietary graphics driver.:)

FYI, that command is installed on Mint by default.
  7. gerii

gerii Member

Are you using --software-ui? If so, look into your log, you'll probably see this error:
    CoherentUI_Host received X Window System error BadAccess
    That has made the game unplayable for a lot of Linux users on the last patch.
    Restarting the game usually helps for a few minutes until it happens again.
    lokiCML likes this.
  8. WaylanderPK

WaylanderPK Member

I've tried the --software-ui, it works for about 2 minutes, then I get the select box hanging around and the game refuses anymore input. I'm running the latest beta drives for my ati card, though I have tried the last two stable to no effect. I've attached the output from inxi,lshw and fglrxinfo. Let me know if you need anything else.

Attached Files:

9. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

I will have to look at the replay for timestamps. Will do it when i get home.
    From my memory the lag was the worst when I was building and sending my units closer to blue to destroy blue's main base on the innermost planet. When blue was almost gone there the lag dissapeared and didn't have noticable trouble afterwards.

Will look for more exact timestamps later. But looking at the screenshots it was probably around 20 minutes indeed.
  10. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Bug is NOT fixed!

Screenshot for proof.

Fabber ran into wall and got stuck permanently.

Pathing itself isn't fixed either:
    Problems with pathing and obstacles... (with screenshot)

So units are still both getting stuck AND running into walls.

Attached Files:

Last edited: August 14, 2014
  11. n00n

n00n Active Member

Fix (not fixed) as in improved pathing, no doubt there's still many more improvements still to come. I've also had units stuck walking into each other as well being unable to navigate the terrain.
  12. thelordofthenoobs

thelordofthenoobs Well-Known Member

Yeah, this is the dreaded UI crash. (Just got that a few minutes ago in the PTE :( ).

I might be wrong here but is it possible that it always happens when you try to select something (e.g. when the UI crashes you always have the selection box being stuck).
    I am not sure but that seems to be a common situation for the UI to crash.
  13. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

The more specifically we can nail down the circumstances that lead to the crash, the quicker Uber can fix it...

As a quick test (to prove or disprove if unit selection is the cause) have you tried spectating a few games? If the UI doesn't crash when spectating (when not using the select function cause your just watching) that would support your theory.
  14. optimi

optimi Well-Known Member

Is anyone else still seeing wreckage for naval units?
  15. wondible

wondible Post Master General

16. optimi

optimi Well-Known Member

a
    Ah. That's silly.
  17. WaylanderPK

WaylanderPK Member

Not using -software-ui the ui doesn't even come up, the game will start when the timeout happens, I can click around and use hot keys to build, but can't select anything. In -software-ui game starts normally but quickly crashes while trying to do multiple selects with select box.
  18. thelordofthenoobs

thelordofthenoobs Well-Known Member

The ui also seems to crash while loading sometimes for me (I don't use -software-ui) but if it does not crash at startup it usually runs fine till it crashes (which I suspect is always while selecting something).

@cdrkf
    I will try spectating some games and see whether it crashes ;)

Edit:
    I have done a few tests now.
    One time the whole game crashed when I tried to load a stable replay using the PTE build.
    When watching three other stable replays using the PTE, I didn't experience any UI crashes.
    When trying to spectate two AIs fighting each other (PTE), the ui crashed two times while loading the solar system.
    The third time, the ui loaded correctly and I didn't have any issues with the ui (although I have to add that I didn't watch the game till the end but the ui usually would have already crashed at that point if I played myself).
    Last edited: August 14, 2014
    gerii and cdrkf like this.
  19. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

Checked the replay and indeed, after 20 minutes I did not have any noticable sim lags anymore. Do you guys know what the problem was? :)

Also my army was moving through blue's wall around 21:40.

Great work on the visuals Uber!! When I was watching the replay I had time to look at details and the visuals of the game are just beautiful!!! When you're playing you don't normally zoom in that much ^^
    One small suggestion is maybe to make units' bullets more visual. The small balls the dox shoots aren't that visible when zoomed out a bit, although it could be because of the desert background. Maybe a slightly more visible bullet would make battles even more spectacular, lasers might also be very cool.
  20. joggler

joggler New Member

Maybe someone already wrote this, but "Whats wrong with Galactic War"

1) MAIN MAP: Drop the limit of TECH, it does not work like it should, sometimes you a lot of expansions and other times you get none.
    2) IN GAME: The game get laggy after approx. 800 units
    3) IN GAME: 100 Dropships (max 20 that work) cannot align and unload
    4) IN GAME: Units unloaded are passive (Are not attacked and do not attack), when they attack they are attacked, but do not shot back.
    5) IN GAME: Orbital fighter are alway passive, do not attack the enemy just get shot down.
    6) IN GAME: Units still have problems not getting stuck in hills etc.

So far i get annoyed when enemy has BUNKER a planet and cannot land units or build gate, then the enemy wins
    Because if I abandon the game is gone
    And if I quit, I can reconnect (GREAT FEATURE), but the above problems are still there :(

Looking forward to aspecialy a NON LAGGY game, so I can play with my mates!
    whisperr likes this.