Galactic War: Build 68767

Discussion in 'Support!' started by garat, July 2, 2014.

1. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

On a more serious side, there seem to be huge FPS drops when explosions happen and I have had that confirmed by another Realm member with much better PC. Additionally to takes much longer for me to load up a planet after starting the game by load up and I don't mean preloading, I mean that after you press start and the countdown ends it still takes a fairly long time to even see a planet and then it takes a equal amount of time of watching the planet before the game becomes responsive, the UI loads up and I can spawn. Are there any plans on optimising this part or at least increasing the auto spawn time slightly. I can barely make the deadline as it is and if load up time increases more I will end up loading after my commander has auto spawned. Also I have updated my post on HD 4670 issues, if Uber is still curious about the problem.
  2. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Automated post: Lack of sleep makes easy hard.;)

Yeah, It will come along eventually. I see a slight unresponsiveness as well in the main menu but it is only 2 to 4 seconds.

Edit: in case it is useful to devs.

System:

CPU - i7 875k
    OS - Win 7 PRO SP1 x86-64
    Motherboard - P7P55D-E PRO
    RAM - 16 of G.Skill DDR3 (F3-1200CL9-4GBRL)
    GPU - XFX HD 5770 1GB (HD-577A-ZNFC)
    Hard Disk - 1 TB Caviar Black
    Last edited: July 4, 2014
  3. badluke

badluke New Member

Sometimes the building menu disappears
  4. freelikegnu

freelikegnu Member

Ater about 20 minutes of a 3 way FFA my UI completely crashed. I had to kill my game and restart PA and rejoin the battle in progress :( So it seems that the coherent_ui bug affecting linux is still about, only it takes longer to happen. I was running PA stats for the first time and next game it will be removed, but I doubt this is to blame.
  5. nathan173ab

nathan173ab New Member

I seem to be getting worse performance with this update. It stutters a lot, and I think it might be eating up more RAM than usual. On some occasions I have had to kill the game's process because it became so slow and would freeze up my whole computer. I've noticed that when that happens the System Monitor reports around 5.4 to 5.6 of my 5.8 GiB of RAM taken up. There were no log .txt files made when this happened. I'm running Linux Mint 17 KDE, Core i7 920 @ 3.32GHz, 6GB (3x2GB) RAM, GTX 770.
  6. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

While the new icons are generally a vast improvement I have two niggles:
    1. They appear to hide health and ammo bars at zoom levels where this information is being displayed.
    2. They make it feel harder to select individual units, I expect the icon to represent the selection zone of the unit and they really don't. You have to move slightly higher than you expect.
    And I confirmed that the colour in the bottom left should match the colour of the player, but either orange appears to be getting red, or that's one hell of a dark orange compared to the icons.
  7. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

That is fixed? I swear I still get "login accepted" if last message is login accepted, and "unable to join lobby" if last message is that, and then it will change when changed by the game.

I was always wondering why they don't have code to "clear" that text when the "status message" screen is first accessed by the player. Just have it enter a status of " " (blank) upon loading status, or enter a status of "Loading..." upon loading status.

Thus, if you click to join a game it wont say "unable to connect to game" before "login accepted" just because last game had "unable to connect to game" and that was left over. It will instead go from "unable to connect to game" last game, to "Loading" when screen comes back up, to "login accepted".

You know, as to not display false initial display.
    warrenkc likes this.
  8. n00n

n00n Active Member

If you watch a replay of an older build the missing Stinger icon is displayed like so: 2014-07-05-012737.png
  9. SXX

SXX Post Master General

It's was marked as fixed internally and @garat mentioned it so I just trust it. Possible I should check it once again. :oops:

Though when you join/create game first your game client ask UberNet server for special server auth ticket (not same as UberNet session ticket) and only then you connect to actual server. So I wasn't sure when "login accepted appear".
  10. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I just think the bug was simple. It always showed the last message displayed there. If it was failed to connect, it showed failed to connect again next time you see the screen. If you succeed that login, it changes from failed to connect to login successful in same screen. I always thought the bug was "it should clear between screens, not display last message upon screen render".
  11. wondible

wondible Post Master General

There were related code changes, but I haven't really been watching for how well they worked out.
  12. nathan173ab

nathan173ab New Member

Well the game is basically unplayable for me now. I can rarely play a game where it doesn't start stuttering and freezing out of control within 20 minutes since this update. When it starts doing this, my hard drive indicator starts blinking like crazy. My best guess is that it's not making very good use of my RAM. I used to be able to play even massive games just fine before this update. Is anyone suddenly having these problems?

Again, I'm using Linux Mint 17 KDE, have 6GB RAM, Core i7 920, and a GTX 770.
    thelordofthenoobs likes this.
  13. SXX

SXX Post Master General

First of all I can't guess what increased stuttering related for, but if you totally lose control and UI don't react most likely it's this issue: PA#2392

And yeah I suppose in some case it's actually might be swapping because in new version Coherent UI using about 1.1GB RAM for me. :rolleyes:
  14. nathan173ab

nathan173ab New Member

Yeah that sounds about right for me too. It's hard to tell because when I'm running the game the System Monitor lists several dozen instances of Coherent UI running. Hopefully that's the source of my performance problems so they'll get fixed.
  15. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I think Uber has gone too far with splitting the live_game scene. One whole coherent process just to have the game version rendered in a different scene? I'd wager the cost of that process and the interprocess communication is much higher than the cost of having the version in the default scene.
    stuart98 and proeleert like this.
  16. warrenkc

warrenkc Active Member

Regardless of the number of processes, this latest version is the smoothest by far for me.
    That being said the game has always worked well for me. With my quad core i5 and my trusty hd7750 video card.
  17. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

experiencing minute long blackscreens when starting matches
    once planets are visible still have to wait minutes before i can zoom in or move through the planet with no chance of picking a spawn location

drivers up to date
    windows 8.1

hardware used:
    core i7 1.6 ghz
    nvidia Gforce GT 330M
    4 GB RAM

no mods are used
    Last edited: July 6, 2014
  18. crazymario

crazymario New Member

You're in the same boat as me. Planetary Annihilation doesn't play well with (relatively) low-spec systems. Hopefully they'll continue optimizing it, but eventually you'll probably want to just break down and upgrade. I know I am.
  19. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

we´ll see how it´ll do on 1.0
  20. Azkanel

Azkanel New Member

I seem to be getting worse performance with this update. It stutters a lot, and I think it might be eating up more RAM than usual. On some occasions the game freeze up my whole computer. I've noticed that when that happens the System Monitor reports around 7.6 to 7.7 of my 7.7 GiB of RAM taken up. There were no log .txt files made when this happened. I'm running Chakra Linux (like Arch linux 64 bits) KDE, AMD FX 6300 @ up to 4.0GHz, 8GB (2x4GB 1600 MHz) RAM DDR3, Radeon HD 7870 Ghz edition OC.