Full Screen Support

Discussion in 'Support!' started by Planktum, October 29, 2013.

1. rick104547

rick104547 Member

With the unigine valley benchmark i get 30-60 fps depending on the scene. Resolution is 2560x1440 and high quality settings. Windowed and fullscreen doesnt seem to make much of a difference.

EDIT: after benchmarking on 1920x1080 ultra quality i get the following results:

Windowed
    FPS:
    Score:
    Min FPS:
    Max FPS:

Fullscreen
    FPS:
    Score:
    Min FPS:
    Max FPS:

Still a difference but not so big
    Last edited: October 30, 2013
  2. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Now you know that borderless full screen won't be problem for PA if Uber done it right. ;)
  3. rick104547

rick104547 Member

Still minecraft does benefit from this maybe PA will too.
  4. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Except that you just saw that it doesn't?

Mike
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  5. rick104547

rick104547 Member

Iam not following you here. Where did i see fullscreen doesnt help PA?
  6. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Basically all we can say now is that fullscreen/windowed doesnt have to make a difference. The benchmark proves as much. Yes, we can't check how it would fare with PA. The PA devs however seem to think PA will be like the benchmark you made: no real difference. So let's trust the devs that they know what they are talking about?
  7. Terrasque

Terrasque Member

Note that the resolution on those two screenshots are quite different. Just look at the text size.
    Ortikon and zaphodx like this.
  8. Ortikon

Ortikon Active Member

Ya ....is your argument that when minecraft is at its default size vs being the full window makes a difference? The examples are clearly different res being stretched, you can see the approximation change on the edges of the lettering.
    Cuz of course it does, its two seperate resolutions. The res is scaling as you stretch the window.
    I hope this thread disappears soon. I cant help but lose my cool every time I see it show up on the "latest" list. Uber is spearheading the long needed move to making videogame settings what they actually are. Rather than sticking to the old settings in the menu that just behave differently behind the curtains because its hard to explain to the mouth-breathers.
    It is very simple to understand these settings.
    The game will render at your native resolution to the pixel.
    If you want to get a better image quality you can use the scaling, which will render it LARGER but then project it onto a polygon and render that polygon at native resolution, resulting in an approximated image that resolves aliasing issues. You can also scale down, so the more robust rendering is done at lower res than native res and then it is projected onto the polygon and rendered at native res to match your screen. This means that way less work is being done at the low resolution, and a second pass is immediately done per frame in a much more lightweight rendering environment at your screens resolution, this will look scaled up as expected. IE running 800x640 on a 1600x1280 fullscreen will look like a proportionate stretch.

I'm done, sorry for making this pop up AGAIN.
  9. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

It's also doing chunk updates in the windowed screenshot.
    Ortikon likes this.
  10. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

I'm demanding the dev's make it compatible with my "vectrex" and also i want an "Atari 2600" build too :)
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  11. rick104547

rick104547 Member

The windowed mode actualy has a lower resolution than the full screen mode (2560x1376 vs 2560x1440). The text is just scaled differently in full screen.
  12. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

Just received this from Uberent on Facebook...

"The Devs have decided to go with a borderless windowed mode for several reasons. This will allow users to customize their gameplay on many monitors rather than just one and still offer edge screen scrolling. Performance should not be an issue."

And I replied...

How is performance not an issue? There's not options to turn Vsync off, so if frame rate drops below 60 then I only get a certain fraction of my refresh rate, i.e. 58 frames would actually only give me 45 frames and 44 frames would only give me 30 frames. This is a pretty major performance problem!
  13. Planktum

Offer me a way to use Adaptive Vsync and I will shut up and be happy.
  14. Planktum

They should at least offer Full Screen to those of us who only want to use one monitor. I don't know of any other game which has decided to drop Full Screen support.

And if people do want to use multiple monitors why don't they just develop the game to support Eyefinity, etc.
  15. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I don't see how that might be possible. :confused:

Even if game itself do not have 60FPS your system refresh rate still the same as it's was without game at all. E.g Windows still render everything in 60FPS. o_O
  16. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Becuase multiple monitors it's not only reason why PA do not support fullscreen. There also "window in window" concept which will conflict with modal fullscreen as well.
  17. rick104547

rick104547 Member

Doesnt explain to me why they dont have a option for fullscreen. Its not hard and all will be happy.
    Planktum likes this.
  18. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I dont understand. What has vysnc to do with this? At least the FPS counter of PA shows values all between 60 and 10 for me. Definitely not vync induced steps.

Also I think with "performance is not an issue" they mean that they simply don't lose fps. Just like the above benchmarks have shown.

I so can't understand you guys, what's so great about fullscreen? It's cancer in my eyes how windows handles it :p
    On that note: The windowed fullscreen of PA isn't very good, though. Whenever the window gains or loses focus everything flickers black for a second. It's a horrible effect that makes me keep using an external fullscreen script.

However I also can't understand why Uber doesn't implement it. It should not be hard or much work to do and it would calm down you guys at least ^^. If some of the planned multi monitor features don't work with it they could just disable them when running fullscreen, if that is what the user really wants.

EDIT:
    Another things @SXX: What has window in window to do with this? I am not an advocate of native fullscreen, but I can't see how it conflicts. You can just draw your own "windows" inside of the fullscreen window?
    Last edited: October 31, 2013
  19. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Yes you can, but then you'll need to implement your own window manager inside game and it's always will be quite limited.

Also as I guess (but I'm not sure because I'm not graphics programmer) windowed mode might make it's easier to use multiple videocards (without CFX or SLI).
  20. Planktum

Have a read of this - I'm pretty sure Nvidia know a thing or two about graphics rendering...
    http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/adaptive-vsync/technology