Frequently Asked Questions

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by brianpurkiss, November 29, 2013.

1. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I've got that covered in my Techniques for Improving Framerate thread: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/techniques-for-improving-framerate.54492/#post-833151
  2. JesterMalone

JesterMalone New Member

Well it was duplicate free until a schmuck like me started spouting off. You deserve a job at UBER for all your work here man.

Thanks for not slapping me too hard for the thread I started.
    Last edited: December 5, 2013
    drz1 likes this.
  3. brianpurkiss

Glad I could be of help welcoming you to the PA community. Hope you enjoy it here!
    drz1 likes this.
  4. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Last edited: December 5, 2013
    stormingkiwi and cwarner7264 like this.
  5. brianpurkiss

I do mention internet connection in the requirement section.

But you're right, having a dedicated section with more info would be very good. I'll add that.

Adding modding info would be very helpful as well. I'll work on that.
    cwarner7264 and SXX like this.
  6. adeets

adeets New Member

@brianpurkiss

Is there a thread about heights on a planet?

I created a 800r earth based with 250 height and it came out amazing...

So I made a 5000r earth with 600height and well, I ran out of memory to render it (32gig)

Was looking to find out if there's any known issues with running on a 200-1200r with higher then normal heights, only issue I saw was some factories when built would be slightly sunk into the planet.

Just curious and search on my phone works like crap.
  7. brianpurkiss

No threads on that specific topic.

You may want to report that on the tracker: http://pa.lennardf1989.com/Tracker/

In short, planet rendering and optimization has a lot of work to be done on it.
  8. mrqasq

mrqasq Member

First of all, I'd like to thank all the devs and creators of this wonderefull game. I played both TA and SupCom, and have some great memories from those times...

I decided to give this game a try right after I saw a video of a moon crashing into the planet.
    I don't want to comment on the effects of the game, as I know this is complicated process and for sure will look great after final polishing of the game engine etc.

I'd like to share my thoughts and ask a question though. I saw during first couple of hours, that graphic and overall speed is slow. I don't know why. I read some information on the websites, and I come into conclusion that the game surely needs optimising as it doesn't look as good to take as much resources. I know that calcualting particles, shots, shadows etc can be and is very overwhelming on the PC, but my PC is as follows:

AMD Phenom 2 x4 965@3.4GHz
    GTX 460 768MB
    8GB Ram

I am now thinking about upgrading my setup, not only for comfortable gameplay, but also for a better performance during my work and fun. Should I invest more into CPU or GPU (in my situation) or maybe change platform compleatly?

In my life I try to live with a rule that says : be as good as you can with the right price range. So I don't like to invest too much, I like the middle range. Should I wait and pray for better optimalisation or should I forget about it and invest into new platform. If so, which GPU should I invest into?

Have a great day :)
    Bart
    popededi likes this.
  9. brianpurkiss

As has been mentioned, PA is far from being fully optimized. The game is in Beta and has a ways to go. Optimization is one of the last things to be done in game development.

We don't know what the end system requirements are going to be.

Keep in mind, each an every update comes with optimization improvements.
  10. mrqasq

mrqasq Member

Ok, so maybe this could be an idea, to make a topic in which we could share system setup + framrate? This could help all of us to describe the role of each element into the speed of a game. Ideally it would need 2-3 ppl with same CPU and diffrent GPUS and vice versa. Than we could see. As I mentioned above - in my current state games becomes almost unplayable, thus I changed everything to minimum in the settings and now I can play 5-8person game but when it comes to galactic it's just a slide show.

Take care!
    Bart
  11. brianpurkiss

Very few people can play with high graphics settings. The game simply hasn't been optimized much for performance. Everyone plays with lowered graphics settings.

Head on over to the beta forum and see if you can get such a thread started.
  12. melhem19

melhem19 Active Member

will there by ways to counter asteroids, the kickstarter trailer shows missiles launching at the asteroid before it hits the planet. missles away.jpg
  13. brianpurkiss

We don't know. There may be such an addition, but no word from Uber. Uber is trying to make the game reflect the trailer as much as possible, so maybe. And if there is such a counter, these missiles will likely only mitigate the damage, not completely negate it.
    melhem19 likes this.
  14. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I know this is from a dead thread around time open beta was new.

I just wanted to say that on open beta release I saw that there was a large posting of the same question and tried just posting a quick post answering those questions but it wasn't short as I am no good at shortverse.

So I am glad you did this much better one. I think the FAQ thread was a big success in terms of what it did. It doesn't force people to read it so we still get questions of course, but it is most appreciated when posts try to address new-player questions that are overly common and overly answered. I really think it might have made some questions less often asked. That being said, since nobody else has thanked you as far as I remember seeing, I wanted to individually thank you myself.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  15. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Well. ... 5000 radius? Are you surprised? That's larger than Mars.
  16. ajmtchll

ajmtchll New Member

Will there ever be a single-player Sandbox mode?
  17. melhem19

melhem19 Active Member

i think so, but is not yet implanted into the game
  18. namelesst

namelesst Member

I am not sure if this is the appropriate thread for this question, but I was wondering why the Astraus or whatever the transport is named can't load a tank. Is this permanent or simply something that isn't implemented yet? Its so depressing not being able to land troops on planets.
  19. brianpurkiss

Probably would have been better off a new thread.

The Astreus can only move fabrication units.

It's purposeful. Besides, the Astreus is too expensive for it to be worth moving a single tank.
  20. namelesst

namelesst Member

Probably would have been better off a new thread.

The Astreus can only move fabrication units.

It's purposeful. Besides, the Astreus is too expensive for it to be worth moving a single tank.[/quote]

When I have 5+ orbitals with 30 t2 vehicle fabbers assisting them going at full blast producing hundreds of orbital fighters, dozens of laser and a few radars to invade an enemy plant, dropping a wave of t2 tanks in key areas would be worth the cost. It only takes 5 to effectively kill a commander. Cost is a non issue when the war goes interplanetary.

I shall stick to the unit suggestion thread for holding out on military transport ships I guess. I just dislike the unit cannon concept and other interplanetary troop movement concepts that look to be the path they are currently working for.
    stormingkiwi likes this.