Fps

Discussion in 'Support!' started by southendronnie, June 10, 2013.

1. lilbthebasedlord

lilbthebasedlord Active Member

Right, good, thanks.

Do you know if the the devs are decided on OpenGL or if there will be both for final release?

Also what do you experience? 15fps stable or 60fps stable?
  2. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

PA is, as far as I know, entirely OpenGL.
  3. lilbthebasedlord

4. stopsign002

stopsign002 New Member

My FPS drops BADLY when I zoom out. Once the textures finish 'degrading' it runs just fine, but it seems to be an issue where the textures are staying high quality when I zoom for a little bit, causing my vram usage to completely skyrocket. As soon as the game brings the quality down to the appropriate level for my amount of zoom its fine. Is this something people have been seeing or should I report it somehow as a bug?
  5. Ralith

Ralith Member

If you're not a developer, this doesn't affect you.
  6. alkesh

alkesh New Member

Wanted to throw my hat in here. I recently joined the alpha, and am very excited for the game. But in the few games I've played thus far, the FPS lag has been extreme when I zoom out beyond a close view. I've also seen the texture degradation that others have described.
  7. Brokenshakles

Brokenshakles Active Member

I have also had the same problem with my Geforce GTX 285m laptop card, which can run Forged alliance in WINE at a very decent framrate (45 - 55 fps on the largest maps at the start, finishing up with 20 - 25 fps when the pop cap is reached.
  8. Ringworm

Ringworm Active Member

I wonder if Uber might consider creating a chart of graphics cards, to which users can append their usual FPS (min/av/max) settings achieved in games.

That way, people can check if :-

a/ their card is even capable of running the game (which may change as the game gets more optimised?)

b/ the sort of FPS readings other people are achieving with the same model as you

This can then also maybe help to finalise the minimum graphics specs at release time

I personally am running quite low-end graphics cards on my setups. Obviously I'll be able to upgrade before game release, but I have other priorities at the moment
  9. 6animalmother9

6animalmother9 Member

I think your next upgrade is the processor/motherboard perhaps.

I have a GTX470, and noticed a major difference in FPS when running the World in Conflict benchmark, when I switched from a Q6600 to a i5 2500K (A rare case where the CPU is bottlenecking the GPU)
  10. lilbthebasedlord

rectification : "If you're not a complete newb, this doesn't affect you"

It makes sence that on Mac and Linux they'd go full on OpenGL as that used to be the only choice but with Unity 4 rolling out DirectX 11 is now an option and after much ponder I still beleive I'd rather have DirectX 11 than opengl. what I'm hoping is that the devs do both. It would be great to have a game In wich you can choose. Aparently the two languages are quite similar so this could be acomplishable. (I mean come on, does "64bit-gaming" hit anyone other than me here like a sledgehammer in the face??? compared to that implementing both graphical APIs is childsplay)

If you read the rest of this thread so far you'll see everyone has been having this. Vram usage is unoptimised right now

actually no. You'll see improvements on any game in fps (or anything else) even from a very slightly different cpu. This is one of the reasons on Graphic card reviews the reviewers have a set PC hardware that is exactly the same in the benchmarking test on both cards. It's not really bottlenecking it's simspeed going up all that good stuff, plus in this specific case you went from a non Sandybridge architecture CPU to a sandybridge one which partially helps solving the graphic calculations (to put it in absolutely incorect terms).
    Last edited: June 16, 2013
  11. soghog

soghog Member

This suggestion will probably only apply to a small number of people, but it's worth mentioning. Your computer might actually have two GPUs like mine, one is the high-end graphics card that you wanted, and the other might be a hidden away internal graphics card like an intel 4000. This type of setup is more common in laptops and is meant for energy conservation.

Anyways, if you know you have a good card but are having terrible FPS anyway, it's possible that your good card isn't activating. On my setup, for example, I have to go into a GPU management program that came with my computer and manually turn on the GPU for the programs I need it for. It's a possibility you might want to look into.
  12. stopsign002

stopsign002 New Member

I'm starting to worry that my CPU won't be able to handle this game; core 2 duo 6850 @ 3.4ghz. Thoughts? I work for a computer shop so I can get cheap parts...
  13. zac42

zac42 New Member

That's an ancient chip (6+ years old now), it's long overdue to be replaced.
  14. lilbthebasedlord

in this case senario the card that you are reffering to cannot be defined as "good".

laptop graphics are just plain out of the race. the highest (to date) you can pack into a laptop is the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M with up to 4GB GDDR5 VRAM it is on par in performance to the GTX 660 wich is good but the hybrid-type graphic laptops you metion are more of the likely to contain something of the likes of Radeon HD 3470 which can't even hit directx 11.

this is not a laptop related problem it is a question of optimisation right now and affects everyone. but once the final game is released don't expect it to run good on a laptop.
  15. soghog

soghog Member

Not really true. My good graphics card is a AMD Radeon HD 8700M, which does support directx11. Turning it on makes a world of difference. I went from the game being barely playable on low settings to playing on high with with plenty of FPS at the click of a button.
  16. Brokenshakles

Brokenshakles Active Member

This is not necesarrily true, my laptop is of the large desktop replacement class, and the MXM 3.0B boards are very decent in terms of performance, lagging behind about 1.5 years from its desktop counterparts. I could upgrade to 680M, and I have an SLI board so I could do that once NVIDIA gets it working well with Linux. Also, the who DirectX11 thing is irrelevant, this game is programmed in OpenGL. Linux has no native support for it, and I run Linux.
  17. greendiamond

greendiamond Active Member

im 90% certain that the lag caused by scrolling out for a lot of people actually has to do with having to re-render the moon. i only get fps loss spikes when zooming out for the most part. although i was in a game where the opponent created such a massive army the moment my spy plane flew over the crowd the game simply crashed and burned to death.
  18. zylvird

zylvird New Member

i can confirm : i have low fps (8 /0.5 fps stats with "p") when i zoomed out and i re-render the moon. I run with 60 fps all time with all setting type (i try different tests before). Loading texture of different quality provoc a massiv drop of fps : typically when low texture to high texture.

My system:
    I5-2500k at 3.5 Ghz
    SLI 570 GTX but only one 570 for running PA
    PA is on SSD
  19. ephoscus

ephoscus Member

Might help to run GPUz
    http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

& report how much video card memory is being used & GPU load. I'm running with a Nvidia 660TI 3GB and on games by myself, large-ish base it's running pretty fast, 120fps.

CPU isn't being maxed out much at all for me, but then I am running a i5 quad overclocked to 4.7GHz - 8GB system ram.
  20. zylvird

zylvird New Member

After some tests it's appears that issues with FPS have origin the multiple GPU on a system. I have dislabe my SLI (not run SLI just for multi-monitor but all monitor are now depend of connection with this GPU) and i don't get new FPS issues. GPU memory reach 1234 mo max in game.

I could be the same issues with laptop GPU integrated on CPU and the other GPU. I run some test tomorrow on my laptop.

p.s: sorry for my poor english ^^'