Forum is dead.. is PA Dead too??

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by codythomas14, November 25, 2015.

?

is PA Dead?

1. YES!

19 vote(s)
    23.5%
  2. Probably

13 vote(s)
    16.0%
  3. Not sure

16 vote(s)
    19.8%
  4. NO!

33 vote(s)
    40.7%
  1. sineater666

sineater666 New Member

hahahahahahahahaha :D
  2. nawrot

nawrot Active Member

My definition of dead forum is when on first page you can see thread that has last post done about month ago. Let me check PA.

Edit:
    Yup PA is on the edge, there are tpics with last post done around month ago. Shame PA is cool game.
  3. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

well my definition of dead is when all topics are from a month ago. Why should I use your definition?
    tunsel11 likes this.
  4. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Definitions are stupid anyway. SMNC isn't dead to me, I still play it and find matches. Dead is like when EA shuts down multiplayer servers AND nobody hacked in personal server, or when there is absolutely no way to find a match on multiplayer for that game.

By everyone in SMNC and PA's definition, C&C Renegade has been dead for 7 years, and I have been enjoying it for well over 12, including a fan-remake for UDK. Dead indeed...
    maxpowerz, Nicb1 and stuart98 like this.
  5. nawrot

nawrot Active Member

You guys are just in denial phase.

This game is great (i played it for months) but Uber put too much steam into "purple cow" which is round maps aka planets. Great thing, but so much cost in development time and manpower, that they had not much left for rest of game.

And frankly Zero-K has more long term fun than PA, planets got old fast.
  6. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Lol... Do you not see the irony in declaring PA dead whilst holding up zero k as the alternative? Do you know nothing of what zero k is and where it comes from?

PA is in a similar position to TA after the updates stopped. It's long term success or failure now rests with its community and especially the modders.

Given that some rather significant mods (imperial legion) are actively in development I'd say declaring PA dead now is premature :p TA should have been dead for a decade, yet somehow we have spring rts, including many active mods like zero k and my personal preference BA.

Even vanilla TA is still going and you can easily get games over game ranger. As is TA zero.
  7. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

Mods ftw
    cdrkf likes this.
  8. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Been in the denial phase for a lot of dead games I still play. As long as they still work, and I played PA just yesterday, then idk which of us are in denial, as long as I get my game on.
    tunsel11, MrTBSC, cdrkf and 2 others like this.
  9. nawrot

nawrot Active Member

Ehh you all fanboys. Dead game is dead, majority of potential players already forgot it.
    But that does not mean it is bad game, i still enjoy PA, as i enjoy TA, SupCom, and Zero-K.

It is only that PA put all stakes on gimmick which is planets (great potential, but probably too big task for Uber tiny team), they delivered that, but because of how much dev time it took to make planets playable, PA suffers in other places. Best example is AI, i remember some videos from alpha, showing how awesome this AI will be, there was even moment in beta when AI was evil and mean, but then something happened to it. Also pathfinding is another example of complicated math on balls.

All that is shame, I hope Uber will survive, and some day they will make PA2, or another RTS game with planets, now they have experience, next project could be great.
  10. g0hstreaper

g0hstreaper Well-Known Member

10/10 b8 thread
    Nicb1 likes this.
  11. ufarax

ufarax Active Member

This is a multiplayer RTS, with scant lore. Online RTS is a tricky genre. To be be a successful online RTS, you need a good single player campaign (Starcraft 1&2) and a rich lore (Sins of a Solar Empire). PA lacks a single player campaign of any note, and is lacking in the lore department.
    What do these Multiplayer RTS have that PA does not?
    http://internetgames.about.com/od/strategygames/tp/tprts.htm
  12. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

Waaaay more funding.
    MrTBSC likes this.
  13. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

That's a random list by a random person. Why make that the standard?
  14. ufarax

ufarax Active Member

I chose that link, because I was too lazy to list the individual games. The games on the list, have a rich story/lore, and a decent single player campaign. PA is a generic multiplayer RTS, with no story, no distinct or unique factions…and hardly any players online.
  15. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Well it at least has some very fierce critics that'll never go away :D
    mwreynolds likes this.
  16. iammclovin117

iammclovin117 Active Member

I don't know, I just got the game today for free and can't even play it. Sad, because I want it to be as enjoyable as MNC.
  17. killerkiwijuice

iammclovin117 likes this.
  18. iammclovin117

19. killerkiwijuice

olool, I couldn't reply with actual messages so that happened
  20. iammclovin117

Ah, just thought it'd be fun to kinda go along with it.