For Backers Only: Unit Whitebox Sheet

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by garat, February 28, 2013.

1. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

You were wondering what the mystery box was supposed to do?
  2. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

3. sorenr

sorenr Member

As I said before, I dislike separating land units into two factories on aesthetic grounds, but I could see having a light and a heavy Landfab. I'll try that out.
  4. igncom1

Well that essentially is the split.

Light, fast and all terrain Vs Heavy, slow and kick-*** cannons.
  5. guardian2000

guardian2000 New Member

Loving this thread. Taking forever to read through it all. I've just been lurking but this thread really grabbed me with the factory design and fab layouts. Would be cool if the factory's basic shape for the pad reflected the unit's radar signature. Although I would go for a Diamond shape for orbitals allowing circles to be used by Naval. Then you can readily identify upper and lower half circles for floating or submersed units. Not sure if I explained this well enough. Would make for a MUCH easier time with readability.
  6. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Making the factory shape resemble the strategic icon shape? That could be really cool.

If it's not the entire factory, the factory could still feature the icon shape in some way. Even the naval facility, if you look at it from the side, resembles a half moon shape similar to the Supcom icon.
  7. guardian2000

guardian2000 New Member

Ah strategic icon shapes. Thats the term I was going for. And yes the factories could still be squares or whatever shape. I was picturing the build pads being the same shape as the strategic icon shape. That just shouts readability in my mind. And yes not sure they could do halfmoon shapes. Supcom is directly where I was referencing the idea. I loved that feature.

Sadly in the video I believe they just mentioned they have started animating which is more costly for them so doubt this idea could be implemented.
  8. ascythian

ascythian Member

Mystery box might be an interceptor missile silo or possibly a pillbox.
  9. thapear

thapear Member

They stated in their livestream that it was intended as a wall piece. However, they did say they might keep it as some sort of mystery box as a result of all the reactions.
  10. sorenr

sorenr Member

I really like the idea of strategic icons matching the build platform; here's a quick, sloppy updated version.

[​IMG]
  11. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

While factory types matching strategic icons makes sense, I think first priority should be to the unit types.

I think there can only be so many types of unit icons until it starts getting confusing?
    I could be very wrong about this. What do you guys think?

I'd like a nice X where my Com is located.
    And the icons in SupCom were quite effective.

triangle for planes
    | for missile
    broken line for anti-missile.

It actually make a lot of sense.
  12. igncom1

The big X used to be reserved for TA's nuke, and I still get a little schizophrenic when I see them moving.
  13. JamJester

JamJester New Member

Strategic Icons?

What about an adaption of the NATO set?
  14. syox

syox Member

You should be able to use some kind of maglev on it. Well on all of the metall planet actually.
  15. zurginator

zurginator Member

The NATO icons are ridiculously complicated for a game like this. They also aren't easily identifiable to what is what when put on a small display (All square, etc).
  16. JamJester

JamJester New Member

They don't signify individuals though, and cover everything under the sun. The intention is to indicate the level of force, so a mass of units could be described with one or two markers.
  17. x3kj

x3kj New Member

Level of force markers are good idea, nato markers themself are not good though.
    I find them horrible, way too hard to read. And what the hell has a mechanised infantry marker to do with giant robots and tanks? :p

Propably not that difficult, if you can't show the icons without massive overlapping it is propably a good idea to generalize the force with just one marker