For Backers Only: Unit Whitebox Sheet

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by garat, February 28, 2013.

1. djunreal

djunreal New Member

+1 from me on the tesla coil suggestion (or indeed something warp-core-ish since we're kinda going futuristic) for the power generators. Maybe big blue glowy rods or something? Similarly, power storage needs to look suitably glowy! Perhaps with the glow decreasing if you are at less than full capacity, or going from green/blue (for example) to red (also example) when you max out your storage capacity? Think something like the old Red Alert ore silos, which filled up as your ore levels increased, and when full, were quite obviously full. Perhaps this concept would work well for metal storage too? Like literally have either molten liquid metal, or cubes (or some other robot-friendly shape) of solid metal stacked in the storage containers?

The above would also aid the economy visibility of both sides - attackers could see "ooh, the enemy has a truckload of spare resources, killing their resource production won't be quite as crippling quite as quickly", and defending players will see "I've got plenty of reserve, albeit I'm not spending as much as I'm producing"...

I also love the suggestion of the bipedal robots jumping off a platform from the factory (or walking down steps, come to think of it), it'd add another cool animation to production...
  2. Devak

Devak Post Master General

I am an engineer, and in class there was attention for mercury-based corrosion. Particularly intriguing was a picture of a refinery that had been reduced to a pile of rubble because a pipeline (with some 200 bar gas in it) got in contact with mercury....from paint.

Mercury is toxic to humans and it also easily evaporates causing lung damage. why do you think we don't use it in stuff like thermometers anymore?

But yes: i think there is plenty of room for wacky planets. I for one would love to play on a Titan-equivalent, where fuel is plenty and the environment hazardous.
  3. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Have to quote myself .... Now that i can see zoomed in Air units i realize they are just .....
    AWESOME :shock: I guess i have to change my glasses ......... :mrgreen:
  4. syox

syox Member

Dont blame me :) it was my reaction to this:
  5. majord

majord New Member

This is great looking.

I take it the basic functions and equipment of the ships is in place, otherwise I would like to recoomend giving them anti air laser defense guns, equipping the cruiser with missiles instead of the medium guns, a giving the carrier a wide top so it looks less like an arsenal ship or cargo ship.
  6. rorschachphoenix

rorschachphoenix Active Member

These shapes are very cool. Great readability!
  7. CrixOMix

CrixOMix Member

8. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

9. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

My 4th grade teacher's 4th grade teacher played had a bowl of mercury for the kids to play with, perhaps that's why my 4th grade teacher was a nutcase.
  10. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

There's 2 kinds of landfab, but I like the general idea (shapes for readability)
  11. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Possibly arrange the fabs differently according to type? That would improve readability.
  12. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

We'll definitely differentiate them more.

Also, mercury lakes on metal planets? we need to do it.
  13. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Oh hells yes.
  14. b0073d

b0073d New Member

If we're talking mercury lakes, why not flamable methane lakes that explode if you fire weapons too close? :p

Also, there seem to be a lot more units that base defenses, which is fine, but it makes me wonder how this game will play as a turtle player.

I tend to like building up my defenses then going raiding...

Will there be much scope for that kind of gameplay?
  15. exampleprime

exampleprime New Member

16. Bouncer2000

Bouncer2000 Member

This is very nice! Hope the team takes a note.
  17. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

The visual mirror of a mercury lake would no doubt be amazing to see.

The vastly different nature of mercury over water could justify some changes in rules. Would it destroy naval units? Would it crush amphibious units? Could subs go under? Could land units go across the top? Would it allow for boat designs so heavy that they're indistinguishable from land structures?

Oh, oh~ Land units and naval units fighting on the same surface. It's a guaranteed clusterfsck where no one knows what the hell is going on. And yet, for a metal world, this convergence of insanity seems somewhat appropriate.
  18. sorenr

sorenr Member

Yeah, that's a risk with those two shapes. I added a bit more detail and shifted things around slightly:

[​IMG]

Better? I'm trying to keep a general L-shaped layout to make it easy to see what's building in the fabber - I might have to abandon that.

And it goes without saying that if these don't make it into the official release, feel free to use them for mods, your own amusement, etc.
  19. turpiini

turpiini Member

I like these a lot! :cool:
  20. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General