For Backers Only: Unit Whitebox Sheet

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by garat, February 28, 2013.

1. nuendo

nuendo New Member

As others posted aswell I find these yellow/black stripes really really nice and easy to recognize workers/factories, great idea Mavor.
    So in the long haul, I see there is no construction aircraft (yet :p). I might see the point of not having this, both for an against.

The "problems" with these during TA was that they were simply to good. It was all you needed, build a few factories and start mass-producing con-aircraft. With the aid of a few con-vehicles you would pump these out in a few seconds from the factory.
    It did require a HECK of resource production / very big storage capacity in order to then build something with say, 50-70 T2 con-aircraft. You would make even Volcano or Buzzkill within a few minutes. Which would otherwise take you 45minutes to build.
    This is because in the air they would stack on each other no problem, this was really ugly and should not be that way in my opinion.

If the stacking issue is fixed and they are really slow and vulnerable vs. air fighters I think that would make up for the ease of just flying an aircraft to a new Island and start building a base.
    What I liked about it was that they were so easy to take out, just have good intel control and fly to the suspected area.
    I really like con-aircraft. If you don't make it, I have work to do on a mod in the future :D

Omg yes, Tesla coil power gens, this doesn't get more sci-fi :cool:
  2. EdWood

EdWood Active Member

Love the design, totally reminds me of TA, which is not a bad thing at all.

The only thing I am a bit worried about is the 2 different sized factories, that totally look the same. Maybe those facs are not so easy to distinguish, later in game? I take it, the smaller factory is for tech 1 units and the bigger one for tech2, or lets say advanced units.

Again, love the design! :)
  3. KNight

KNight Post Master General

The larger versions are temps.

Mike
  4. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

More accurately, they're all temp (or "first pass") rendered in 3ds max and subject to change.
  5. EdWood

EdWood Active Member

Ah ok, thx... never the less... I really really like the design, also the Delta-Commander looks really good, mixed with the other units!
  6. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

I wouldn't say it's too often, they're just a bit oversized is all. Tends to break my wee low res screen(s).
  7. vonWolfehaus

vonWolfehaus New Member

Ah, glad you mentioned the scaled factories! I was getting upset. If the only difference between a basic and advanced factory was scale... in a game that's all about scale... they'd be impossible to distinguish.

These concepts are 100x better than TA or SupCom ever had, very happy with the art direction! Thanks for the peak!
  8. KNight

KNight Post Master General

I doubt it'd be as impossible as you make it out, yeah maybe in isolation at different zoom levels it could be confusing, but don't forget that you'd also see them amongst other buildings and units as well, it is certainly plausible, the best choice? of course not, but plausible.

Mike
  9. rorschachphoenix

rorschachphoenix Active Member

Hi,

A little bit OFF-Topic, but. How do you make the grid in 3ds max?

Attached Files:

10. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

:shock:

I was pretty wary when I saw the original video.
    I pledged anyways.

My mind is blown.
    First the terrain shots, now this.
    Your art direction is phenomenal.
  11. theredstone

theredstone New Member

Hi everyone.

I really love the style of he units thus far and I can't wait to get my hands on this game. Especially since I have never played TA or any of its successors. I guess that makes me look at this game from a different perspective as most of you, who come from the TA corner.

So I have been comparing the different type of factories and in my oppinion they look too similar. Take a look at the top down view from the PA_units_02 screenshot. I can hardly tell the difference between the tank and the robots factory. In fast paced combat I might not be able to distinguish them.

So both of them have ramps. Why not remove the ramps from the robots factory and replace them with something else. Walking robots don't need ramps, they can walk, right?

What do you think?
  12. evilm3nace

evilm3nace New Member

I'm perfectly fine with bridges on ships that are leftover from human civilization. Neither am I attacking your work. I merely asked for it to be defined if they are robotics or not, because in a earlier picture, you showed a human standing next to the commanders.

Windows reduce the strength of any building design. If you do not want to, or can't because of cost reasons, change the design, put a glowy thing in there to show that it's some sort of sensor in there rather then humans. Again, I am also fine with humans operating the ships, and I look forward to the game.

-Me.
  13. zenomaddog

zenomaddog Member

Love the units and buildings :)
  14. rabbit9000

rabbit9000 Member

It would be kind of narly if all the little 'bots just jumped off :p
  15. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

I agree - it's not so much the bridge structure I have an issue with, just that there is obvious "windows" (usual disclaimer about these being placeholders etc. etc.)
  16. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Heck, that's how most of the technology in WH40K works. Tech priests follow huge instruction manuals that have been modded and tweaked countless times over the years. The underlying technology and science is so convoluted and lost, that no one knows what's going on. They just use copious amounts of oil and pray that it'll work.

A lot of US competitors have been doing this to keep up with our technology for years. Dismantle the device, see what goes where, and copy it with copious amounts of prayer. The result was inferior much of the time, but at least it looks the part. Nowadays their science is catching up, so the tech will much better stand on its own.
  17. cybran89

cybran89 New Member

These are great, and this is a thought, not a complaint.
    The tank and bot factories do look pretty similar, and I know that's going to change, but maybe to differentiate them perhaps remove the ramp from the bot factory and maybe do something like having a robotic arm spinning the under-construction bot around in the construction spray or whatever it's called, then extending and dropping it to the ground.
    Last edited: March 2, 2013
  18. xcupx

xcupx Member

To the Uber team:
    I bet for every post in this thread complaining about something, there are a hundred people who saw the pictures and went "hell yeah! This looks awesome, no need to post cause it looks so good!" And then went on with their waiting for this awesome game. Please don't let the few vocal complaints get you down über, keep up the good work!
  19. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Thanks, it's easy to forget this. Overall we've been very pleased with the reception so far! This gets me excited to release more stuff coming down the pipe...
  20. Hydrofoil

Hydrofoil Member

I want to see Uber-Cannons in action! ;) ha ha in all seriousness what you have released is amazing! and its only that first pass i cant wait to get my hands on this game and all the awesome mods that will result!

This game really is the best RTS since Dune!