For Backers Only: Scale Tests - Renders

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by garat, January 15, 2013.

1. kmike13

kmike13 Member

You have no idea how excited I am for this game... I absolutely love strategy games, especially real time strategy games, and unfortunately the only one I own is supreme commander 2 for the Xbox....

And now I'm getting this! :D
  2. Devak

Devak Post Master General

Neutrino, please tell Steve he's awesome!

I like the style used, blocky but not too much of a block-fest. It has detail without getting me to think "it's military! it's mass production! it doesn't have to be pretty!"

the scale looks good. The unit cannon looks like something where you will go "DAMN YEA, UNIT CANNON!" in stead of "hey artillery piece".

The trees do feel a bit big, but i haven't seen pictures with smaller trees so just gonna assume that was balanced already.
  3. KNight

KNight Post Master General

According to the scale the trees are actually pretty small......somewhat dependent on the age of the trees but you know what I mean, trees can get pretty big!

That being said, they are a good scale for gameplay, as they are they're small enough to they won't block units just like in SupCom.

Mike
  4. Kahdir

Kahdir New Member

Cool pics, I like the sizing!
  5. NaloaC

NaloaC New Member

The sizing does indeed look pretty spot on between the units and structures.

Will be interesting to see what kind of large-scale units come into this.

In any case, this is my most anticipated release title for 2013.
  6. JWest

JWest Active Member

Love it, looking very awesome :)
  7. tollman

tollman Member

I agree with this.
    However I don't think huge trees should be ruled out. Proper BIG tree forests that perhaps kbots could pass through but bigger units couldn't and that aircraft wouldn't be too useful over either might be interesting on some maps. They would be destroyable but it would take a lot of fire power and time to do so.
    Probably a simple thing to mod if you know how I guess.
  8. JWest

JWest Active Member

And about those trees - will we see our units crush those puny trees and start forest fires like they did in TA and SupCom? I always loved seeing my battles starting natural disasters n' such. It's the little things...
  9. grannystylez

grannystylez New Member

in the last live stream the mentioned it, they want that forrest can block you or that you can absorb them. And if you like burn them down... trees will be integrated pretty good into the gameplay..
  10. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

As some of you have seen, these images have been released publicly now, so unstickying. :)
  11. tigahawk

tigahawk New Member

That email actually prompted me to come here and comment, i must say it looks absolutely stunning, i love it :D (wasnt planning on doing anything untill i got sent a beta key :D :D waits drive me crazy so if i play Hon/DayZ and forget about this untill i get update emails it helps hold off the insanity :lol: )

Keep it up! love it!
  12. lollybomb

lollybomb Member

I need to come here more often for things like this. Total hotness.
  13. dudecon

dudecon Member

Utterly beautiful. You've really out-done yourselves. Stylized, eye-catching, detailed... just wow!
    Keep it up guys, this is going to be great!
  14. ozolus

ozolus New Member

These look amazing. My vote: Don't deviate from this art style. <3
  15. exampleprime

exampleprime New Member

I'm personally interested as to how artillery and unit cannons will play into the game

Noah unit cannon in Supcom 2 was easily one of the coolest things in the game, but it was like. Why make a super accurate cannon that fires tanks when you can fire shells?

I personally like the art style and hope we get more updates on this. Awesome stuff
  16. Consili

Consili Member

To me a concept like that isn't in the same category as artillery. Artillery I used either to directly damage an area, or to provide area denial by firing on a choke-point that you dont want the enemy to pass through.

A unit cannon on the other hand was a fast way to reinforce a group of units. Or a way of quickly deploying units into a new group in order to box the enemy in. Or a way of skipping over enemy units and ground defences to hit a softer point behind enemy lines. The unit cannon has much different strategies associated with it. Also tanks can move around and do more damage after landing....and the idea of a unit cannon is damn cool : )
  17. v41gr

v41gr Member

awesome ^^ great colors, great visual especially for the units launcher
  18. Pluisjen

Pluisjen Member

Yeah, because why would you launch an egineer to build a resource point on a Mex when you can just bombard the crap out of it?

Oh, right :p
  19. zenomaddog

zenomaddog Member

That looks awesome - nice work!

Any chance we can get in different colors? (blue is cool and all - but still).
  20. DeadMG

DeadMG Member

I would say, there's not enough variance in the size of the units. I mean, the structures are quite a bit bigger, which is nice, and I'd keep them as they are, but many of the units don't seem to be especially variant in size. One of the things that SupCom got right was the way in which a GC was, physically, so damn much bigger than a Mech Marine. Some units which are 2-4x as big as the current ones would be good.

The Commanders could use a *little* upscaling, but not much.