For Backers Only: Scale Tests - Renders

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by garat, January 15, 2013.

1. KNight

KNight Post Master General

But even in the Visualization it was only shown on a moon(I don't agree with it being usable on planet) so then it's still kinda weird.

Mike
  2. RCIX

RCIX Member

I like it! One thing I may add, something looks really ugly IMO about the rightmost commander. Compare to the concept art:

[​IMG]

it has this nice segmented look to it, but the top of the commander in that pic looks a lot flatter and duller :<
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I cant find anything bad about the scale.
    Looks just awesome, well done Uber.
    Now I'd like to see this stuff on a full planet :D

@rcix:
    My guess is that that model is pretty much unfinished, this is supposed to be about the scale ;)
  4. doud

doud Well-Known Member

AWESOME ! AWESOME ! AWESOME !AWESOME !AWESOME !AWESOME !AWESOME !AWESOME !AWESOME !AWESOME !AWESOME !AWESOME !AWESOME !AWESOME !AWESOME !AWESOME !AWESOME !AWESOME !AWESOME !AWESOME !AWESOME !

Thank you so much for sharing with your backers :)
  5. baryon

baryon Active Member

Look at those tiny humans :D

I really like this huuuuge unit artillery in comparison to the tanks and robots who'll try to blow it up. Also very curios about the scale of the naval units. Commander in the middle looks most interesting imho.

@rcix:
    It may look more different than it actually is, because of perspective.
  6. acey195

acey195 Member

a lot of the models look quite nice already :)
    the scale looks quite "epic", like Planetside2, rather than games like AOE1 :p
    creating a nice atmosphere.

I'm quite certain almost non of these models are final yet, though at the moment the commanders lack a bit of detail compared to their size. (in comparison to the k-bots)
    I'm guessing the commanders were scaled up just before creating this render :p?
  7. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

People, don't do that. The screenshots they post will be full of unfinished stuff. Don't criticize things which aren't finished yet.

You should comment on the scale of units, that's what the screenshots were about, not about how they look now. They won't look like this when the game is finished (most likely).

-------------------------

Ah, big buildings, sweet.

I'm also very curious how big ships will be, and planes too. ;)
  8. dukyduke

dukyduke Active Member

the little buildings that are sometimes linked to bigger buildings are extensions, energy resource boost ?

Moreover, the building that looks like a silo (that it seems it can be linked too) seems to have different size. This mean that some buildings will be upgradeable ?

(Asking costs nothing...)
  9. RCIX

RCIX Member

The commanders are specific and that one corresponds to a listed one with concept art. What's wrong with giving feedback on an unfinished product? I thought it was what we were here to do.
  10. baryon

baryon Active Member

I guess it's no missile silo, but a energy-deposit which extends and retracts with the amount of stored energy. Similar to the deposits in SupCom. Linked buildings may have a slightly lower energy consumption, just like in SupCom.

But don't forget these are just early concepts.
  11. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Giving feedback to questions they asked is good, so in this case the scale should be the only concern, since thats what they asked for.
    Giving comments about random other things is very likely to create a reaction like: "Yeah we know, thats not finished yet" so it isn't really helping.
    They might show more finished unit models in the future and ask specifically: Do they look well? That would be the best moment to comment on them.

... at least thats how I see it xD
  12. LordQ

LordQ Active Member

Looking great! Glad to see you guys are really looking hard at the scale of things. I'll be looking forward to how big aircraft, ships and spacecraft will be as well, as they're probably the most relevant for scale studies.
  13. KNight

I don't see how a particular unit type is more relevant, because everything is a robot it only has to be large enough for the weapon, armor and movement system employed by the unit.

Also one could use the Visualization when you can see Air Facs constructing to infer a basis for Air unit sizes.

Mike
  14. VortiK

VortiK New Member

2nd and 3rd commander have some resemblance to ARM and CORE commanders which is kind of cool !
    Some building have some UEF looks, I think about the factories and the nuke silo, and the tanks ; that was kind of trademark of that faction in supcom.

Is there some adjancy links concept between some buildings ? I belive it's from the enegy generators to the space rocket launch pad on the right and the land factory of the left.

All in all the buildings seems to have a much more realistic / awesome scale to units. It's very exciting to imagine the huge and blocky-ness of bases compared to army platoon assaulting them. I guess it should give more tactical decisions from where to come from when attacking a base instead of the no-brainer ALT+CTRL MOVE order accross the whole base using the shortest path.

Keep the backers give away ! It's exciting to see the game developement unfolding ! :D
  15. LordQ

LordQ Active Member

Well, I only mentioned aircraft because I wanted to see a few, hehe. I mainly suggested naval units were most relevant for scale studies because most games get the size of naval units compared to ground/air units wrong. If it's similar to SupCom's ships though, that'd probably be fine.
  16. Hydrofoil

Hydrofoil Member

Do we start guessing what some of those buildings do now or later :p
  17. baryon

baryon Active Member

This. Most other games are like: "Aircraft Carrier? Double size of a tank should be fine!"
    And this destroys the atmosphere, imho.
  18. KNight

We saw most functions during the Game Visualization, which is where these assets are from. I might do something to label it all when I get home.

Mike
  19. terrormortis

terrormortis Member

I'm gonna loose every battle because I'll be sitting drooling in front of my pc... ^^
  20. paprototype

paprototype Member

Very nice, this is exactly why I wanted to be a backer.