For Backers Only: Planetary Biome Concepts

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by garat, April 2, 2013.

1. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

The obvious painted-on quality does not look amazing though and whoever thinks it does is wrong. For other objects shown in the game the texture simply adds colour and... texture to an otherwise geometric entity. Here it tries to add detail that simply wasn't meant to be flat, and at a rather low resolution too.
  2. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

Already took this one, don't ignore my posts and retread the same argument without advancing the discussion. Either engage with the issue or frankly, shut up. Don't be that guy.
  3. RCIX

RCIX Member

I have one argument that you can't really do anything about bmb:

The developers have perf reasons to keep them lo-fi.
  4. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Oh man. I guess I can't have an opinion unless I'm agreeing with or flaming against BMB.

I don't think the quality of PA is going to hinge on the design of its trees.
  5. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

And polygons are virtually free in todays world. Even with a low budget, they surely could be made to look nicer than this. The main thing is that the texture looks out of place being this flat in an otherwise very angular and geometric world.

I like how you take my fairly light offhand criticism and spin it into this ridiculous argument as if I insulted your mother. Congratulations on taking criticism on something that isn't even your work about as well as an 8 year old.
  6. bobucles

Wow. Cool down man. It's just a tree. They don't bite.

FYI: NOTHING is free in computing, and that kind of bad accounting is the root cause of many issues in games today. Efficiency is going to be important for PA, like it or not, because it ultimately determines the specs and scale of the game.

And because you don't seem to get it: PA is not a game about trees.
  7. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

You're going to see a lot of trees though, and if they all look bad that will look bad on the game as a whole. And I'd like this game to look good. And I like what I see so far.

Except that tree.

So I don't see why just because they aren't a central game mechanic like the commander or extractors, they shouldn't look just as good. You're going to see them a lot more than commanders or extractors thats for sure.

And fact is, polygons are virtually free. It's other things like transforms, shading and object overhead that is expensive.
  8. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

You've got some pretty severe OCD when it comes to trees there bmb.

Why must they look any better than what everyone (except you) is comfortable with?

And no, Polygons are not free. I have no idea where you're getting such a nonsense idea from.
  9. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

******* knew it, you blow it out of proportion and then blame me for that

Ï'm done
  10. spz58624

spz58624 New Member

i think that the trees look awsome and match the rest of the games art why are we fighting about this?
  11. RCIX

RCIX Member

the irony in this post is comical
  12. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

Because some people can't handle an opinion about their precious game that is anything but "its perfect" apparantly.
  13. nanolathe

It's not perfect. It's optimised to a point where most people find it acceptable.
    I find it acceptable. I see no need to spend more man-hours on it than necessary. Maybe a small upping in Texture quality, but there's no need to change the models.

Even you know that it's not necessary to make higher poly models.
    No NEED. Ok, bmb?
  14. taihus

taihus Member

Anyways, don't the trees look completely different in the ENGINE-DEMONSTRATION LIVESTREAM THAT THEY JUST HAD?
  15. nanolathe

Jungle trees vs Pine forest.

Pretty close to the same level of fidelity though, in both texture and model quality.
  16. teradyn

teradyn Member

The thing is, when will your eyes be focusing on the trees themselves during a game? They will always be slightly out of focus as you concentrate on units, UI and other things. As it stands now in Pre-Alpha, the trees did not even remotely come close to grabbing my attention and that is my criterion for crappy graphics in this context.

All that being said, this argument over the trees is silly in relation to the demo... they specifically stated that all of the art can be considered placeholder at the beginning of the video.
  17. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

And this is concept art, exactly the stage to point out if you don't like something. Where it's easy to change because nothing is set in stone.

I have no idea why my opinion that they look slightly out of place with their relative low quality is so hard to handle for you people. It's very childish.
  18. bobucles

Trees are always easy to change, because a tree's looks have NO impact on the game.
  19. mcodl

mcodl Member

That's just concept art? Just give it to me now :D .

OK, seriously now: I love it and I will patiently wait for my alpha key. So that I see it after I nuke/asteroid the crap out of it :twisted: .
  20. Kahdir

Kahdir New Member

Nothing to add but humor...

I foresee an achievement called Anti-Arbor: Destroy more than 100 acres with an asteroid :D