For Backers Only: Planetary Biome Concepts

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by garat, April 2, 2013.

1. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Hey all,

This represents 10 different biome styles for the game. They aren't tagged, once again, part of the point of posting it is making sure they're readily identifiable without help.

Since we have a lot of new people, remember, please don't share this out until we've released it publicly. But use it as you want for yourself. Desktops, etc. No sigs for now. :)

Enjoy, and we look forward to your feedback!

Attached Files:

2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

My Thoughts in order of top to bottom;

Desert Biome
    Forest Biome
    Ice/Water Biome
    Rainforest Biome
    Island Biome
    Mountain Biome
    Metal Planet(Not really a Biome as much as planet right?)
    Lava/Ash Biome
    Moon Biome(Not really a Biome as much as moon right?)
    Gas Giant Planet(Not really a Biome as much as planet right?)

Mike
  3. torrasque

torrasque Active Member

Some planets have their colors marked with dots, some with square and some with both. Is there any logic ?
  4. rorschachphoenix

rorschachphoenix Active Member

Nice. :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: April 2, 2013
  5. numptyscrub

numptyscrub Member

Yay, swirls! :mrgreen:

So desert mesas, temperate forests, polar caps (ice planets), equatorial jungle, tide banks / coastline, mountainous regions, death stars, volcanically active regions, moon / asteroids, and finally gas planets. Sweet :cool:

I've no doubt some people might prefer the more realistic style of the mountains / ice concepts over the more caricatured jungle and tide bank styles. My bias is obviously for the swirls, however I completely understand they won't be to everyone's taste.

I'm looking forward to seeing how these are going to mix over the surface of a planet, and how they end up getting fleshed out :)
  6. chrislove01

chrislove01 Member

Nice, like them.

All I will say is please make sure there is plenty of space to make bases etc, ie not like the top one :lol:
  7. diceslizer

diceslizer New Member

Very good looking concepts, those atoll/island swirls makes me want to be there right now :p

Also, they are absolutely identifiable, the bioms are what Mike said
  8. turpiini

turpiini Member

I reckon they are in order of appearance

Desert
    Forest
    Ice
    Jungle
    Water
    Mountain
    Metal
    Lava
    Moon/asteroid
    Gas

Looking pretty f*ing good, can't wait for the alpha :cool:
  9. Devak

Devak Post Master General

I would say what people call Forest is more like Earth and what people call Rainforest is more like a water/earth mixture.

I like them a lot actually. Although, isn't it more like planet TYPE rather than Biome?
  10. Neumeusis

Neumeusis Active Member

Sweet !

But more than a "type" of planet, i see more something like planets with the different thing you can find on them depending of the temperature...

Standard Biome :
    High temperature
    Temperate zone
    Cold temperatures
    Tropical zones

Water planet

Mountains

Metal Planet

Lava Planet

A typical moon landscape

Gaz Giant

Ho man, my found is burned again...
    Never connect to the forums while cooking...
  11. sorenr

sorenr Member

Enjoyably readable.

Would it be possible to do a steppe biome? Low hills, lots of flammable scrub? Tank country.
    How easy will it be for users to generate new biome types of their own?
    How complex can reclaimables like plants, machinery, and primitive alien villages be?
  12. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

I spy with my little eye, a tank in the forest.

[​IMG]
  13. KNight

KNight Post Master General

It's kinda awkward to call it a 'Earth" biome, considering that our 'Earth' actually has most of these biomes already, thus why I labeled it as 'Forest'.

Depends, obviously some of these can be mixed, and prolly need to be to help hold onto immersion to some degree, because we all know that our Earth has many/most of these biomes and such due to the angle the planet rotates at, our distance form the sun ect ect, so it's not inconceivable that that will be mixed. I also feel it'll make for better gameplay, if you mix say a Forest and Mountain Biome, along with some water, you get much more varied gameplay than just a planet that's entirely desert.

Some of them are more-so planet types than biomes, like Gas, Moon and Metal(Thought it'd be interesting to see some planets with Metal "Patches" here and there).

Also worth considering that even within the Biomes themselves there could be a decent level of variance, some of this could stem from combining Biomes, like a Mountain+Forest Combo would create the area(Lots of smaller mountains and valleys, most covered in trees) I live in right now.

Actually not that I think about it, The list is missing a "Plains" Biome.

Mike
  14. xosk00

xosk00 New Member

When I first looked at the pic this is what I thought while only looking at the planet pictures (not the scenic pictures on the right):

Desert
    Temperate
    Ice
    Tropical
    Water/Island
    Airless??
    Metal
    Lava
    Airless??
    Gas giant

The tropical and temperate biomes I got mixed up first, but then when I compared the two together I figure which was which.

Then I looked at the pictures on the right and figured that this is what they are:

Desert
    Temperate
    Ice
    Tropical
    Water/Island
    Mountains
    Metal
    Lava
    Airless
    Gas giant
  15. ghoststride3

ghoststride3 New Member

I like these concepts. I see them as:
    Desert
    Forest
    Ice
    Jungle
    Ocean
    Mountain
    Metal
    Volcanic
    Atmosphere-less
    Gas Giant

Been lurking for too long, and these pics spawned an idea for environmental toxicity which I'll discuss in a new thread.

Thanks for posting these!
  16. turpiini

turpiini Member

Forgot to ask on the previous post, is the lava planet already doable in your engine or is the picture a mockup?
  17. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Looks great. I really like the artstyle, both of the concept and the work in progress game pictures.

You've got some great artists here.

I also love the size difference between the trees and the tanks. It gives a great sense of scale.
  18. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Just so you guys are clear a biome is referenced by a planetary archetype. Some planets use more than one biome, others don't.

Adding biomes is fairly easy but the list here is what we are working on for now. In the future adding more variants etc. is easy to do but there is plenty here for the game for now.
  19. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

A bit offtopic, but since you have the archetypical zones and belts of gas giants, any chance of them either influencing unit movement or work as different terrain?

(Ie. the belts usually rotate against each other, so for example it would work as terrain that moves.)
  20. felipec

felipec Active Member

Desert
    Forest
    Ice
    Jungle
    Water
    Mountain
    Metal
    Lava
    Airless
    Gas