For Backers Only: Megabot Experiment

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by garat, March 14, 2013.

1. Arachnis

Arachnis Well-Known Member

That's true. But I was saying that you're arguing subjectively. That's not the same as what you just said.

Where is the logic in saying that by making a distinction between them and other units, which would be size, that it turns them into experimentals? That's like saying if it isn't 1 then it's 2, although there are infinite other possibilities.

It means that we're apparently not talking about the same term.
  2. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I like new unit ideas, I like the idea of some really good assault unit, or a good siege unit.

But I don't like Megabots, the term, just don't use the term. It really does imply experimentals, and if they really aren't...

Then don't use the bloody term! Why are you so attached to using it?

(Also not a fan of compound units, a unit that can do 3 different jobs at once should be broken down into 3 units)
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  3. nateious

nateious Active Member

I'm late to this thread but I like the idea of both Krogoth like megabots and perhaps more specialized megabots. Obviously you don't want to invalidate the lower tier units but I'm not entirely sure how to do this.

Maybe some sort of ability that promotes mixed armies? Give the megabot a repair field like combat fabbers but make the megabot's repair time extremely long so it can't effectively heal other megabots, but will heal smaller units.

Heck don't give it traditional direct fire weapons, give the thing weaponized nanolathes, let it reclaim it's enemies that get too close while keeping armies repaired.
    Last edited: January 31, 2014
    iron420 likes this.
  4. Arachnis

It's not my fault Uber used this term...
  5. igncom1

Yet you accept it whilst trying to NOT keep them as experimentals?

Why?
  6. Arachnis

I never associated them with experimentals to begin with.
  7. igncom1

Then you really are in a minority with that one. As you do seem to be ignoring what the OP actually shows.
  8. Arachnis

I'm so sorry for not noticing the word "experimental" spammed all over the OP.
  9. Joefesok

Joefesok Member

Why do you even want the damn things in the game to begin with

Before I get to the point, you two need to quit this petty argument, or at least stop posting single-sentence retorts to each other

Megabots sound fun, aye, you're right on that. It sounds like a fun concept that could cause gameplay to come to more strange and fancy conclusions. And don't try to argue that is not the point of megabots; because it is. If you try, you'll simply prove yourself a fool. Megabots are game-enders. Only, they're an easier game ender; limited to a planet, true, and easier to use than asteroids. But that's not a reason to add them. Asteroids, an end-all win-all, are intended for this use. Why do we need TWO overpowered, giant shows of power to end the matches?

We don't.

Quit asking for it. It's not happening.
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  10. igncom1

You might have also missed the pictures and mentions of a super unit too.
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  11. Arachnis

Sorry, could you please link me to the definition of "Megabot" and show me the paragraph where it says "is a game ender".
  12. arseface

arseface Post Master General

You mean like t2 bombers and nukes? Couldn't help it, I had to.
  13. Arachnis

Do you mean the "I'm secretly an experimental" written on it's forehead?

It just seems strange to me that you're more interested in the terminology than the actual design questions.

It shouldn't invalidate other units, yes. I think you hammered that point in now. Can we go on, please?
    Last edited: January 31, 2014
  14. KNight

KNight Post Master General

You mean those things that have only JUST started to get balanced? We can't assume anything we've had until now is actually indicative of anything.

Mike
  15. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

well the issue that some people are having with the "mega bot" is that it will some how turn the game into some supreme commander experimental unit spin off and end up with the same gameplay style where you just spawn masses amounts of experimental units out in hordes and that essentially is the gameplay. Thats not what necessary needs to happen though, you could quite easily set a 1 mega bot limit so you can literately can only build and have 1 per planet or something. (unit is too big to fit into the teleporter) too heavy to lift off into orbit. This completely negates the so called "supcom" game style while adding an in-depth strategy in the way of giving the unit enough support, otherwise it'll get its *** handed to it the next big army it runs into. I dont think you should consequently flat-out deny the ability to have bigger units on the sole purpose that people will just spam them because you can quite easily set limits so that doesn't happen so your maintaining the planetary annihilation gameplay is still in tact.

Its so damn easy to balance, that is so not an issue... just think about it guys before just completely going off the deep end and thinking about supcom, it can work nothing like supcom and still be awesome ya know....
  16. igncom1

Arbitrary limits are also a stupid idea.

There is no physical reason you wouldn't be able to build more then one.
  17. iron420

iron420 Well-Known Member

We have nukes, planet crashing, T2 bombers etc. Those are all game enders. Why is having 1 more game ender suddenly game breaking? If the megabot is how I choose to win, that doesn't stop someone else from choosing another equally effective alternative. Don't tell me how to win and I wont tell you ;) I hate nukes at the moment and feel like the reduce the fun of the game instead of improving it but too many other people like them. The least they can do is be understanding and compromise to allow me my choice of game ender too.

Or.. you know, we could just remove all game enders and have a over balanced vanilla boring as **** no fun game to play.. That sounds SO awesome!
  18. igncom1

Well I also want nukes to be changed, T2 bombers is a balance problem and not a game ender.

And asteroids are the poster children, and deserve to be devastating.

The main problem with megabots is that they are essentially just miniature armys compounded into single units.

But then players just replace army's with them, even the supposedly balanced TA krogath, as a single unit you wouldn't want a army in it's place when you can have a krogath.

And then all you have done is change the games scale of 1000 tanks into 10 in a skirmish. and that looks terrible.
  19. rovetjw

rovetjw Member

i like it but what do you guys think about a special factory like a titan factory
  20. arseface

arseface Post Master General

But it DID happen, and that was the joke. Which is now ruined because I pointed it out. Curse you.