For Backers Only: May 3rd LiveStream Preview

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by garat, May 3, 2013.

1. eianr

eianr New Member

I feel the starshape around destroyed buildings should only be used around highly explosive objects, not around things that simply get destroyed. Maybe also if the object is overkilled.

PA seems to be coming along nicely :)
  2. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

That's why you've got a NEW vision that you're putting out there.

What I can only assume is a complete bummer to see, is the number of people who think your vision is "wrong" before you've even started. :?

---

I believe in Planetary Annihilation. I believe in Team Uber.
    Make something awesome guys!

Take comfort in this knowledge:
    If you'd said you were just making Total Annihilation 2... I wouldn't have given you nearly as much money as I did :lol:
  3. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

I'm just going to make the game I want. People can like it or not.
  4. KNight

KNight Post Master General

It's part of the problem of doing something new like this, so many people don't know left from right when it comes down to what an Alpha or a Real Beta. All you can really do is be patient with the knowledge that you're right, and work to educate those that don't understand.

Mike
  5. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

Hey, I loved FA. Still do in fact. So not quite 16 years :)

I just wish there was a way to communicate critique without coming across as negative - we *know* it's alpha, we *know* the art is barebones get it working no polish just yet, and we still think it looks awesome and is amazing progress.

All I want to do is give feedback that isn't purely 'ooh ahhh looks nice let me play'.

I honestly don't see how the feedback given in this thread falls into any sort of bashing of the image, the game vision or the art style. Apart from one post in 5 pages.
  6. nanolathe

The English language can't do that.
    English is a proud language steeped in decades of miserableness and negativity :p
    Last edited: May 3, 2013
  7. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Part of the problem is that we are developing it so publicly. In old school development we wouldn't be having these conversations because nobody would ever have seen this stuff.

Do you guys realize the first batch of SupCom screenshots that got released were paint overs? Game developers have been trained over many years never ever to release stuff that doesn't look finished. We are breaking that holy rule all over the place so we have to deal with the feedback from it.
  8. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

It's odd though, in a sense, that game devs are pressured into doing that sort of thing. Modding itself is a huge pastime for gamers, and things like steam workshop, Skyrim, Starcraft 2, etc have tons of people bringing incomplete/WIP content to the table all the time.

In any case, I can honestly say I appreciate you guys taking the time to put up some preview images. Just wish I could be awake for the livestream :)
  9. ToastAndEggs

ToastAndEggs Member

Bless you for doing that :)
  10. KNight

KNight Post Master General

I didn't know(I didn't get onboard the bandwagon until you guys had that presentation at GDE 07 in Vancoucer) but honestly, I'm not surprised in the slightest because it is exactly like you said, People don't know any better to truly understand WIPs nor to really tell the difference, so from a publicity standout, it's win/win pretty much(if maybe slightly dishonest, but there's no shortage of that in the industry).

Mike
  11. nanolathe

[​IMG]
    Are you telling me that this picture was digitally altered?
    [​IMG]
    And this one too!?

You misled me... you!?
    I am shocked, Shocked I say!

:lol:
    Last edited: May 3, 2013
  12. EdWood

EdWood Active Member

And this is exactly why my friends and I supported you guys from the very beginning.
    No one interfering or making stupid quick money business decisions, just a dedicated team that knows how to do it, developing an awesome game.

So don't worry! :) You guys rock!
  13. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Wait, I remember those pictures.

They looked absolutely amazing and the finished game looked nothing like this. :cry:

As for the new topic now: We're a bored bunch of opinionated people who eagerly wait for the game to be the second coming of TA with a bunch of free ice cream on top of it (free is cream is best ice cream) so I'm afraid it won't change much.

I mean, the current screenshots we've seen look pretty good, so its kinda hard sometimes to see it all as placeholder or engineer art and visualizing how it will look in the end. :mrgreen:

PS. I don't expect you to listen to too much forum babble anyway, especially not in this early phase. And I sincerely hope you wouldn't even think of it. Strong dev vision is often better then the "wisdom" of the masses.
  14. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

LOL Smart alek. It is very rare to see ANY screenshot released that hasn't had some amount of touch up. Video is forgiving. Screenshots are not, and getting a single perfect shot takes usually dozens, if not hundreds of shots. And even then, you usually have some weird artifact or angle that isn't quite right.

It's rather frustrating. :)
  15. nanolathe

You mean like that green line in the second image?
    wait... artifacts... touch ups... adding in things that aren't there... Snowcones?

It's PHOTOSHOPPED!!!!

You're doing it again!
  16. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Snowcones? Where did you see snowcones?

I found the green "health bar" after some minutes, but can't find the snowcones. Tell me! :shock:
  17. nanolathe

It's a conspiracy. Turn your head and squint. They're subliminally advertising Häagen-Dazs in their images!

Now we KNOW where the extra funds came from... it wasn't a previous game release or liver sales at all! Garat! I'm on to you...

Tinfoil hats at the ready boys!
  18. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Now I see it! Its not MAVOR written, its upside-down double snowcone, snowcone with a bite taken out of it, empty snowcone, snowcone from top and leaking upside down snowcone!

Speaking of that, I don't like the flavour of icecream you're going in that picture. Less chocolate and more strawberry please!

Also, it seems that all the cones are burnt? That what happens when you don't have a publisher with a big Q&A departement!
  19. pheagey

pheagey Member

*squee

more plz
  20. crseth

crseth Member

Looks so awesome considering it's still pre-alpha :D