For Backers Only: Introducing the Delta Commander

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by garat, January 30, 2013.

1. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Wow, I am still totally confusing people. Let's try again.

There are going to be a bunch of commanders in the game. Custom commanders as well as commanders representing the different factions.

There are a set of abilities spread amongst all of the commanders. Those abilities are fixed per commander. The only choosing that happens is when peoples custom commanders are created by us. The palette of abilities that is available will be the same for all commanders and will be fully represented in the commanders available to all players. There is no possibility of getting a gameplay advantage by having a custom commander. You don't pick your abilities in the lobby, you simply select which commander you want and he comes with specific abilities.

So to recap:
    - no balance issues
    - abilities fixed per commander
    - all abilities available to all players
  2. stevenside

stevenside Member

Question remains, will there be any way for others to obtain the limited commanders?
  3. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

I can answer this for you. No.

They would make it possible for people to (try to) sue them if they gave away the "LIMITED EXLUSIVE ONLY FOR BACKERS/PREORDERS" content in any way other then being a backer/preorder'er.

Since that would be false advertisment.
  4. cptkilljack

cptkilljack Member

What limited commanders are you talking about exactly. There are the Custom Commanders which will come to the people that paid with a few extra keys they can give out to friends. Then there is the Preorder bonuses. Currently the Progenitor and Alpha commanders are Kickstarter only (these are the only 2 I know about), then there is the preorder bonuses which the Backers also get which is the Theta and now the Delta (I think delta might be at a certain level of Preorder). There are also other commanders that we really dont know about from the scale tests.
  5. Hydrofoil

Hydrofoil Member

Also dont forget you should call the d cannon the

Uber-Cannon :D
  6. rorybecker

rorybecker Member

I believe that StevenSide is talking about the Custom Commander offered at the $1000 pledge level.

see http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/659943965/planetary-annihilation-a-next-generation-rts?ref=live
  7. gabooo

gabooo Member

Aww. That's cool. So cool that if I had known that during the kickstarter, I may have pledge more.

Ah, nevermind, that was too expensive for me. But wow, at least 91 custom commanders ... :D
  8. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

^^ Aloot more, the higher pledge ranks include the lower rank rewards, so that includes the custom commander (so 102) and we have all those that choose to use paypal.

Not to mention that all those custom commanders will be used by multiple people (or most, i guess some wont give/sell their keys just to stay unique), since they get 5 keys (it was 5 right?).

So if we just go by Kickstarter and all of them give away their 5 keys (unlikely) thats 510 players using a custom commander, adding paypal donations... xD I hope i run into a few when the game releases.
    Last edited: January 30, 2013
  9. cptkilljack

cptkilljack Member

From Kickstarter alone not including the Paypal number which I dont know how many were at that level there 102 Custom commanders which I think 5 codes each. Remember each level of backing gave you everything previous as well.
  10. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Done. The commander now has an Uber Cannon.
  11. stevenside

stevenside Member

how boring and tedious.
  12. Hydrofoil

Hydrofoil Member

YUS! :D Can now claim I had the most important decision in the game ha ha :p
  13. rorybecker

rorybecker Member

Can I respectfully request that hydrofoil get some kind of mention in the credits of the game for naming the Uber-Cannon. :D
  14. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

It would be kinda neat if they keep track on who (on the forums) gives them good ideas/advice and such and give them special thanks in the credits (Maybe thank them twice if they are also 100$ or above backers).
  15. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Perhaps, but a legitimate concern. However, don't assume that just because _those_ custom commanders aren't available, we don't have lots of other plans. This is just the first of many commanders.
  16. sstagg1

sstagg1 Member

:D Uber Cannon.

~~~

I'm fine with how you're doing custom commanders and commander abilities.

~~~

I think the wings may be better if they were specific to a single arm type (ability).

Also, if they are indeed radiators (interesting heat transfer going if so), having it open up when the arm is used would be awesome.

It's just not a robot rts if the commander is symmetrical.

Also, without knowing the specific abilities of this one:
    - Legs look unprotected / small
    - Backpack power plant (assuming things here) seems... 'insubstantial', but just barely
    - Arms look good (arm guards may be a little blocky compared to the body though)
    - Body looks awesome (may be a little too thin at base, just perhaps just an aesthetic to this commander)
    - Colours are perfect

In the end, I'd be perfectly fine with using this as is.
  17. Hydrofoil

Hydrofoil Member

Indeed but I put a reminder up for them on my sig ;) ha ha

If it turns out they are not going to call it that I will be disappointed and will take it back down :'(
  18. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

You might wanna mention what you named it, in your sig :) . Instead of just saying "I named it".
  19. Hydrofoil

Hydrofoil Member

Indeed gimmie one sec XD

Edit: There I think that will surfice
  20. stevenside

stevenside Member

happy to hear this garat. i has hope!