For Backers Only: Introducing the Delta Commander

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by garat, January 30, 2013.

1. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Actually prolly not, once I get rolling on concepts and such I'll likely start a thread to share the process with everyone(if the guys at Uber don't mind), I was lucky enough to be able to save for the 1k Back tier, and if you've seen me in the BlackOps threads you might have picked but that I love posting WIP stuff for sharing/feedback! xD Being able the share the experience of bringing a commander to life with everyone is right up my alley! xD

Mike
  2. wolfdogg

wolfdogg Member

An interesting idea. I suppose if you are posting your progress here then anyone that copies you will be a know plagiarist since we will have all seen your design here first.

At any rate it's about as close to the custom commander as I'm going to come. I just couldn't justify $1,000 on PA in my current situation. I'm certainly going to enjoy seeing your initial concept and what you end up with! If your previous creations are anything to go by it should be pretty cool.

I'll be interested to see what abilities you pick for your personal commander too. I think it says a lot about the player and how they intend to play the game. I think the ability choice process will also be quite interesting as players will ultimately be choosing abilities with little or no experience of how they work. Have you given this any though at all?
  3. Consili

Consili Member

That is great! I look forward to seeing the process : D
  4. TerrorScout

TerrorScout Member

If I understand Neutrino on how the custom commanders will work you will design a custom model and pick its ability from the options. Then Uber will make you the custom commander based on your input for only you to play with.

But then they will make a Copy of it and make it available for everyone to play with so it cant be OP because everyone can just use the reverse engineered copy of your prototype ACU.

And if Commanders represent factions? Everyone who uses it will be your follower in spirit at least.

With that said my question is will your unit be called "The Black Knight"?
  5. mortiferusrosa

mortiferusrosa Member

Ok, let me try to explain it in the universal language of math (note, im assuming I understand what neutrino is saying in the first place)

Example

1 options for the left arm upgrade
    2 options for the right arm upgrade
    3 options for the passive ability

With this there is a combination of 6 different commanders that uber will have made default (delta, gamma, omega, zeta, whatever they call it).

Special backer commanders (alpha, progenitor, theta, etc.) have one of those 6 combinations that Uber chooses beforehand and your commander just has the different model/skin.

Custom commanders have one of those 6 combinations of upgrade abilities that they choose beforehand while having their own skin/model design.

Edit: If im wrong, have a red tell me and I will scrap this post, but this is how I understood it to be.

Edit 2: Adjusted numbers to better represent Ubers aims for release.
    Last edited: February 1, 2013
  6. KNight

KNight Post Master General

You're on the right track it seems, It might not be set up like that but that is the basic idea, limited slots, Universal ability pool. Us 1K and up backers don't get anything new, except for maybe the combination.

I don't think Uber will be making 'copies' of all the custom commanders. If Abilities are the only differentiating factor, and depending on how many abilities per commander and how many abilities to choose from, it's entirely possible that some custom commanders end up with the same abilities as Stock ones, and over time Uber might use some of the 'unique' ability combos in new stock Commanders but I don't think the intent is quite as you say.

Well, when designing something, I always try to make sure everything works together well, so although I have some ideas, I will make sure the abilities match the concept and intent of the design, and seeing we don't know how much we'll know about the abilities when it comes time to them it could end up being a bit like a blind pick, we'll see, either way I can't wait to get started!

Mike
  7. fraggdya

fraggdya New Member

I like the look of them, think they remind me the the centurions cartoons :)
  8. 6animalmother9

6animalmother9 Member

Those pauldrons hide a secret weapon: MRLS
  9. Yourtime

Yourtime Member

well it looks nice, but i dont know.. somehow more flashy when I thought, i guess this are still concepts
  10. Consili

Consili Member

On top of which we are going to be seeing more commanders than just this one : D hopefully you see one that is more to your tastes.
  11. habbex

habbex New Member

I'm in love!
  12. habbex

habbex New Member

btw please can't we get the delta commander as one of the commander figures? That would be awesome :D
  13. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

We haven't decided for sure which three commanders will make up the three pack of Reaper mini's, or the statue for that matter. :) So... ya never know!
  14. habbex

habbex New Member

thx for the fast reply mate :D
    I just wanna say that you guy's are my main inspiration in my game dev studies, see you in the future ;)
  15. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

This NEEDS to happen, the Delta is my favorite so far by a long shot.
  16. acey195

acey195 Member

It is also the only one somewhat near completion yet... :p

Yeah Delta is awesome, but that doesn't say the others cannot be even above that magnitude of awesomesauce ;)
  17. wolfdogg

wolfdogg Member

Yeah, it's a good point that we need to remember that none of these commanders are actually finished. That and Delta is the furthest along by some way, apparently.

I think Delta is a great commander and it's obviously designed aesthetically to appeal to a specific group. I'm certainly interested to see what kind of play style it will promote when they choose it's traits and abilities. Let's consider that this may mean that certain people will choose to play as Delta who may not have chosen to do so if it were based on looks alone.
  18. v41gr

v41gr Member

how many players could play on the same server?
  19. felipec

felipec Active Member

up to 40.
  20. Yourtime

Yourtime Member

I am sure I will x)