For Backers Only: Introducing the Delta Commander

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by garat, January 30, 2013.

1. stevenside

stevenside Member

i really do hope that they will add commanders with this feature, who doesnt want Eva fins? put them on a few commanders, people will friggin love it!
  2. paprototype

paprototype Member

Some of my thoughts:

Is it the idea there is a human inside or is it an autonomous giant robot?

I am a strong believer of 'Form Follows Function'
    Well, I guess no warmachine should have a homo-sapien like build but ok let us ignore that.
    Some tracks might be much more versatile.

1) The chestplate looks very nice, especially the curved yellow lining.

2) I do not see the function for the shoulders, is there any?
    In a huge fight, those shoulder parts that are mounted upwards are liabillities.
    They look like they are targets.
    If they were jet packs they would probably produce negative thrust :)
    They might be a rocket launcher bay or AA guns or whatever.
    If those shoulder bays would be closed they might not be that vulnerable though.

They do make the commander stand out, what if we got rid of the lower bay kind of thing and only keep a upward structure that looks a bit thougher.

3) What is the purpose of those plates around the lower arms?
    Is it for looks only or ... ?
    Again I do not see its purpose/function.
    Do not really like it.

A true war machine has only those parts it needs to be as efficient as possible.
  3. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

just listen to the first sentence of the original kickstarter trailer.
    No humans inside.
  4. memorykill

memorykill New Member

Those are all beautiful! Fully approve of the designs :D.

Im still confused about the commanders "abilities" are you saying that only 1k backers get to pick and choose there abilities before playing? Why can't normal players do that too? It almost feels your locking off features of the game for those who paid more $$$ why can't you just allow us to "unlock" a custom commander that allows us to pick and choose abilities?

Unless i've got this totally wrong? :?
  5. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

Basicly, normal players will have access to all the abilites, but they have to choose a certain commander for certain abilites (There will be multiple commanders thats not pre-order or backer bonuses), while the owner of the "custom" commanders get to choose what abilites the commander will have while in the design phase. The abilites of a custom commander will be completely locked once that commander is complete and ingame, they just get to choose abilites while the commander is being designed.

That is atleast how i interpret it.
    Last edited: January 31, 2013
  6. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

You are wrong.

The "picking" is when designing their custom commander. All of the abilities available to those commanders are available by picking a publicly available commander.

I wish I had never tried to explain this because it seems hard for people to understand.
  7. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

well I would say its not due to your explaning skills, but its because of the english-skills of some not-native forum users. I understood it with your first explanation and probably most others ^^
  8. tigerwarrior

tigerwarrior Active Member

OH MY GOD THATS THE COOLEST COMMANDER YET :eek:
  9. xanoxis

xanoxis Active Member

My biggest concern about those commanders is: What about SACU? Same look and abilities? Or not?
  10. cptkilljack

cptkilljack Member

I could try and put it another simpler way.

The 1K backer get to have their own commanders made so they are allowed to pick the abilities that would normally have been chosen by Uber for their commanders at the time of designing. After that all the abilities are locked in and thats what those commanders will have.

For all the normal designed by Uber alone Commanders they will have their abilities chosen by Uber from the same Pool of choices the 1K backers had. But we will not be choosing anything they are already locked in when the game is loaded up to play.

So in a tldr. All Abilities are locked to the mech there is no way to change them at any time.

Only time any choice comes in is for the 1K backers when they are in contact with uber about actually making their commander. After that they receive their commander when the game launches with the locked abilities they chose when Uber was making them.

So no changing of Abilities anytime on any commander.
  11. stevedaman1228

stevedaman1228 Member

OMG.....soooooo coooooooooool......
  12. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

Next up, The Omega Commander :)
  13. furyofthestars

furyofthestars New Member

My guess would be that there won't even be SACUs. There are no living pilots, and the whole concept behind the SACU was adding an extra pilot to the field to assist the main Commander (even if in game practice it did not work that way).

Also not sure why some people are complaining/bummed by the abilities being locked to each Commander design? SC was the same way, with the exception you could choose from a variety of upgrades, you were still stuck with the pre-designed upgrades. ie, Cloak was only available to Cybran and they couldn't have shields.
  14. xanoxis

xanoxis Active Member

SACU was something more than just "new pilot on planet". I had strategy in SupCom, I buyed teleport in Aeon SACU and teleported into middle of enemy base to kill enemy commander. I couldnt do it with ACU (because its too important).
  15. furyofthestars

furyofthestars New Member

Edit: Technically speaking, to my understanding, the SACUs were piloted by living beings... thus you were sending other people to their deaths instead of using your robots. ;)
  16. acidwolf264

acidwolf264 New Member

The blue one reminds me of a Cygnar Warjack! :p
  17. Degraine

Degraine New Member

Kind of wish I'd been able to afford the $1000 tier myself, now...even if it would be a ridiculous waste of money, really.

To actually comment on the pics: I like it. If this is representative of the level of detail that's going to be available in the final units, I'm happy with it. Has an almost-but-not-quite toy-like feel to it, not hyperdetailed and hopefully quite imitable for modders.
  18. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

I had a thought about the 102 custom commanders.

Would any of those who have a custom commander be amenable to posting their ideas / WIPs / concepts for their commander?

It'd be pretty awesome to be able to observe a little bit of that process, even if Uber isn't involved just yet.
  19. KNight

KNight Post Master General

I'm still not sure what I'll be doing, I need to hear more about the options/limits for the Custom Commanders before I can say for sure what I'll do, thought I'll still need to start making some concepts soon....

Mike
  20. Consili

Consili Member

I am sure that you will want to play your concepts and work with Uber close to your chest until the custom commanders are all locked in, so that nobody mimics any of your concepts. That said, once everything is set to go I would be interested in seeing the process from concept art through to completion on the commander if you wanted to share the process : D