For Backers Only: Faction #1 Symbol Thread

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by BradNicholson, September 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrcthulhu

mrcthulhu Member

I have started on a version of it, but got a bit more of some pre-term preparations to do, should be soonish if all things go well, I'll edit it into this one when it's done.
  2. baryon

baryon Active Member

Even more variations. Featuring monochromatic design, new sun variation and cog variation.
    pa4.png

Correct.
    LordQ and mrcthulhu like this.
  3. mrcthulhu

mrcthulhu Member

And finished, I found that having the open section in the wheel didn't work too well with the open top cog wheel (also that I couldn't get it done right to my tastes) went more blocky with the eagle, also with the eyes I just went screw it and made them big, and ended up with a cool dual-thing.

PA_Faction1Symbol_7.png

And I also attached the svg files of the symbols I've made if anyone was interested in the zip file attached;
    the circular ones and one based off cthulhukid's idea are in 1,
    the lion, hands cupping a planet and this one are in 2,

(I'm keeping them separate 'cause I'm on an older laptop, also good habits to keep them below ~5/10MB dependant on your computer, otherwise it lags quite a bit and takes slightly longer to load up)

Attached Files:

4. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Bear in mind that the symbol must be readable in miniature or even icon format (50x50 or even 15x15 px).

That means, stick with a simple outline which must be recognizable even at such low resolutions. Don't make use of small features like feathers, they won't be visible under regular conditions.

Stick with one primary color, outlines will be barely visible.

So far, there were only a handful of submissions which would have been suited as an icon (that means they were still readable when scaled down):
    [​IMG]
    Works very well, since all important features are large enough, although the feather disappear when scaling it down.

[​IMG]
    Not exactly the right symbol, but still works very well at all sizes.

[​IMG]
    Actually a surprise, but it did work very well with the 2-3 color palette. The claws remain clearly visible at low resolutions.

[​IMG]
    Many details (which isn't a bad thing, on the contrary), but the actual outline is also very distinct and the planet as well as the wings remain distinguishable.

[​IMG]
    You won't recognize the planet as such when scaled down, but the eagle shape is very obvious.

[​IMG]
    Unique shape, even when scaled down (and contrast doesn't suffer, contrary to the recolored version), although the planet gets lost. Too many important features are just to small to be properly scaled.

All these have one important thing in common: They have a clear outline and they are easy to recognize, even when scaled down a lot.

Totally NOT a fan of the multicolored versions of these, as multicolored icons usually loose a lot of contrast when scaled down, thats inevitable.
    mrcthulhu likes this.
  5. mrcthulhu

mrcthulhu Member

Ah, ok, so for a few examples, where will these be viewable? Is it on all units, or just the big/important ones like the commander and factories?

And another note, they need to be square and can be scaled down to 50x50 or smaller?
  6. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

I don't know where they will be used, but I can guarantee you, that they will be used in icon size most of the time. Having a high res version for a full screen background sure wouldn't hurt, but that's a rare usecase, at best.
  7. voidmirage9

voidmirage9 New Member

Here is my own idea.
    Fresh from Gimp.
    In Color
    Legonis Machina Symbol.png
    Or in Gray tone.
    Legonis Machina Symbol_Gray.png
  8. baryon

baryon Active Member

And you can tell that by looking at the original resolution? Why not providing proof by scaling them down?
    So much wrong to me. Less colors doesn't necessarily mean more contrast and especially not more distinguishable content. Here are the downscaled images (50px*50px, much smaller is nearly non-existant and therefore useless):
    p2.png p50.png p50b.png p1.png p3.png p3b.png
    Do you notice how much the planet in the last two pictures becomes more distinguishable if you have one more color? And most details are still visible.
    And do you notice that some contributions you labeled as "scalable" suddenly look less like an eagle with a planet?
    Siggmund and lordxanos like this.
  9. lordxanos

lordxanos Member

The blue one freak'n rocks!
  10. cursedmind

cursedmind New Member

I like most of the figures so far, but I think they are still missing some kind of symbol for multiple stars. The blue one with some "united federation of planets" style stars around it would be perfect I think. I really like the broken cog around the eagle.
  11. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

Hey, I have another idea: Can you put eagle's tail behind the cog and put planet on the bottom of the cog?
  12. baryon

baryon Active Member

Like this?
    pa5.png
    plannihilator and LordQ like this.
  13. griffinsnow

griffinsnow New Member

I like the Roman idea... Maybe to specify it as a Roman Eagle you could include laurels somewhere in the picture.
  14. xfreezy

xfreezy Member

like baryons designs the most, but I would also go for folded wings because stretched wings really look too similar to the nazi eagle. The first thing people recognize when seeing the logo should be the romans and not the nazis.
  15. thepyro13

thepyro13 Member

Looking at some other posters pictures, I get the feeling that we're all missing an important element.

They just woke up, they have no idea what's going on, or what has happened before. Who says their that good at graphic design?

I think the following picture captures the child-like ignorance and confused nature of the newly awakened commander much better than anything else posted(or not :p).
    PA_symbol.jpg

Perhaps something could be done about her noodly feet? And I'm unsure about whether to add eyebrows, should she be angry to show her ill intent towards potential upstarts, or should she be relaxed in her new position of planetary authority? These are important questions that may need to wait until we have more information about PA lore.
    eroticburrito, bluejam and iron420 like this.
  16. taihus

taihus Member

Best one yet.

This will make it into the game, without a doubt.
    archcommander likes this.
  17. iron420

iron420 Well-Known Member

I still like those styles the best The eagle looks very mechanical
  18. little

little New Member

I really like baryon's folded wings design. It has the "Roman touch" but still something unique to it. Also the folded wings have some kind of "protective" feel to them. Protecting worlds under their wings from the Progenitors? I think that would work with the fluff.
    I really, really like that design. It's familiar but not generic, which open wing eagles in some way are. I just feel like this design idea has been beaten to death even in the real world...
    Would love to see some of variations of the closed wing design.
    Last edited: September 26, 2013
  19. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

Yes! Awesome. I think we have a winner.
    That "fold wings to be less nazi" may be good idea, through. It's actually kinda hard to make it look like Roman Empire without looking like nazis who also tried to look like Romans.
  20. baryon

baryon Active Member

One more (probably last) variation:
    pa6.png
    And small icon with adjusted colors to make the planet more distinguishable:
    pa6s.png
    Last edited: September 26, 2013
    little and plannihilator like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.