For Backers Only: Faction #1 Symbol Thread

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by BradNicholson, September 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asm987

asm987 New Member

Using SPQR is quite Roman-ic as it is Latin a acromym.

But you have to think what it actually means. SPQR means 'Senatus Populusque Romanus' which means 'Senate and Population of Roma', a tribute to the old and venerable Roman Republic before the era of the Roman Empire.

While the phrase still used in Empire era millitary banner, it's merely a symbol like Soviet banner of hammer and sickle which Russian Federation still use on Victory Day or used commonly by communists.

As it contains the tribute to the republic and democracy, it doesn't feat to this empire ruled by 'Iron fist'. I think we should use another Latin acronym representing that imperialistic aspect.
  2. stevedaman1228

stevedaman1228 Member

Maybe something similar to these? --->[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    bluejam likes this.
  3. Windmiller

Windmiller New Member

Maybe it could be a machine eagle, kind of like Clockwerk in Sly or perhaps like songbird in Bioshock infinite, with four feathers on each wing to represent each of the eight commanders that was restored on the first planet (including the leader). And clutching the red planet with perhaps a moon orbiting it if it has one?
  4. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Just make sure to avoid the bald eagle, use one of the European species instead.
  5. fozzibab

fozzibab New Member

This is the best logo of the thread by far, but it's a bit busy in the center. A stylized representation of Earth in the center (White with red continents) would make it perfect.
  6. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

Perhaps for each faction we took the themes of continents so an eagle for the americas kills 2 birds with one stone, snake for europe, lion for africa and something else from the middle east/ asia / indian regions you could then take the background ideas from this thread mix em up until you got something cool. Or just do something with robots facing one way marching to battle
  7. lordxanos

lordxanos Member

edited it a bit, kept it monochromatic but added tints and shades. Also added an equator to the planet to keep it simple, identifiable, and allow their empire to stretch beyond a single world.

phoenix2_color.jpg phoenix2.jpg

also did a black/white version. I figure a simple single color emblem would be used on the troops and the nicer color version would be used on flags and the finer robot things.
    fingerzprime, avoler, taihus and 12 others like this.
  8. Moranic

Moranic Member

^^ That one looks awesome!
  9. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

An eagle flying in front a complex star system with things orbiting things orbiting things?
  10. rtvestey79

rtvestey79 New Member

My idea would be metal eagle wings on a metal planet, refer below.

[​IMG]
  11. mrcthulhu

mrcthulhu Member

I'll take a shot at doing some work to it, the exploding planet might be a pain for my vector skills at the mo' but the rest should turn out good :cool:

Nice work! For smaller decals I'd say bring the planet out to form a ring, then have the phoenix inside, and perhaps make a few variations on it for the different unit types.
    cthulhukid likes this.
  12. sniggyfigbat

sniggyfigbat New Member

From the poll in the faction naming thread, it seems pretty clear the Legonis Machina is pulling ahead. From a lore point of view, I'd say that implies a sort of 'strength in unity' type ideology, which means an eagle isn't really appropriate. I'd recommend, given the mechanical nature of the commanders, that the symbol be something industrial, related to building and production. A hammer seems too obvious, but maybe something like a wrench might do?
  13. Devak

Devak Post Master General

Sticking to the animal theme, isn't a wolf better since it's a pack animal?
  14. cthulhukid

cthulhukid New Member

BTW, turning those "comets" into eight broader strokes with some stars in their path (or at the end of the beam) could represent the 8 original commanders, as was suggested by another somewhere earlier in the thread.

Also, thank you for (a) finding my idea appealing and (b) putting in the effort to expand upon it!
    You my hero! :cool:
  15. Si1Foo

Si1Foo New Member

i think it should be something like this

Attached Files:

16. mrcthulhu

mrcthulhu Member

Annnnnd done!
    PA_Faction1Symbol_4.png
    (Comparison for others)
    Phoenix by cthulhukid.jpg

I had quite a bunch of trouble with the asteroids coming up, so had them sprawl below the bird (Made 8 for the commanders). I also had a problem with the exploding planet, so went with a shockwave-style-thingamabob, and also with the dead bird with keeping the image unfocused and square.

After that I took over a few things from the other symbols I made earlier, and reformed them - pretty much just the eyes and flames; other than that it came out pretty good, with space for text above the bird as well.

It is 00:10 in the morning so I did try and skip some tedious work, but if you got any other ideas I'll try and give them a shot! :cool: - when I wake up ofc.
    taihus and Ortikon like this.
  17. ViolentMind

ViolentMind Active Member

How about faction symbols relative to each specific Commander that is the head of that faction? Should the look of the faction symbol compliment the look of the commander that controls it?
  18. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

Personally I think the best ones so far have been from microwavelaser on page3. I do think however flamester and azirahael from page 4 are also good, but I too, prefer a darker metallic feel as apposed to the colours ones.
  19. Nayzablade

Nayzablade Active Member

How about some unique ideas...?

1. A lions head holding a severed machine arm in ts mouth.

2. An Eagle getting crushed between two cogs.

3. A Metallic hand crushing a planet.

4. Two metallic hands cupping a planet, like a handful of water.

All I can thin of for now.
  20. asgo

asgo Member

in this context, in particular with a faction with certain historic connotations, one should probably decide first if the symbol should represent an attempt to preserve the past with a style relatively close to what we take from the roman setting or if it should show the development in a transformed and, for lack of a better word, mechanized style.
    In the end, it's probably a lore question on how strong the connection to the past should be.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.