For Backers Only: Faction #1 Symbol Thread

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by BradNicholson, September 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lockjaw

lockjaw New Member

Oh! Or the Bear or Oxen too, almost forgot those ones.
  2. mrcthulhu

mrcthulhu Member

Couldn't pass this up; I took the note of the commander being the sole leader, and starting anew from a volcanic planet as the basis for the first symbol idea, and for the second kept to the volcano, but brought the eagle in, with a straight edged robotic style - for both the cogs due to machines and that.

The colours Black, Red and Orange felt good together, so kept to that and tried to keep the symbols simple due to being used on banners and decals.

1st idea 2nd idea
    PA_Faction1Symbol_1.png PA_Faction1Symbol_2.png
    Both done in inkscape if anyone was wondering.

EDIT:
    Thought up a third one based around the cogs and lava and forging new cogs, also brought in the wings as if they were the shoulders of the commander:
    PA_Faction1Symbol_3.png

Also an idea for others - I think that the Atreides' Seal could be a cool thing to work from
    Last edited: September 20, 2013
    lokiCML, impdevil, Kuurczak and 6 others like this.
  3. sylvesterink

sylvesterink Active Member

I like the more stylized ones, like mrcthulhus, as the less identifiable the eagle is as an Earth bird, the less of a connection it has to a planet that is more likely than not lost in the depths of time.
  4. devildude912

devildude912 New Member

hmm, going to have to get to some drawing, what about a bird (eagle/phoenix/etc.) 'colored in' with starry void, wreathed in fire, rising from a burnt out red planet?
  5. theducklingunity

theducklingunity New Member

Pa1.jpg PA.png
    I mean, robots are a huge biohazard so why not label them with this, a suitable symbol for a faction that devestates every living machine that does not share there opinion. Machines aren´t living to 100% since they are not biological but still this would be a pretty cool symbol.
    GreenBag likes this.
  6. Siggmund

Siggmund New Member

While not really appropriate for the Roman Legion theme they're going for in this faction, that symbol looks like it might be perfect for another faction. Again, though, it's probably too early to be talking about those.
  7. cne9979

cne9979 New Member

I actually like the symbology inherent in his rising from the ashes on his awakening. I believe that is a very resonant image that represents both their beginning and their struggle.

To that end I see more of an image of depicting elements of that. If inclined to stick with an eagle it could be be an eagle in portrait moving to stand for the first time with his wings in forming a dome, as if caught mid-first-flap, with the ashes and debris sliding off the sides and a star depicted above.

To represent the machine nature if needed the eagle could have cybernetic/circuitry lines on it.
  8. doxbox

doxbox Member

Rather than an eagle clutching the world, how about a stylized aircraft?

How about a giant commander, standing on the world holding a flag?
  9. theducklingunity

theducklingunity New Member

Thats actually a good idea. Maybe the flag that the commander would hold could be a Roman banner, instead of a plain one. Think it would look nice.
  10. GalacticCow

GalacticCow Active Member

[​IMG] Maybe something like this?
    I always liked minimalistic, simple logos. Fancy tassles and swirly vines adorning the eagle...blegh, not for me.

edit: wrong image
    MrTBSC and madsnorgaard like this.
  11. TheVenomRex

TheVenomRex New Member

the planet, I think, should be yellow.
  12. walker712

walker712 New Member

I like the idea of the eagle but instead of a world have it clutching a cog. It's a way of combining the roman origins and the idea of it being a machine empire.
  13. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Considering that humans don't tend to name their organisations after the fact that we live in organic body's, I don't think the commanders would make a different distinction simply because they live inside of machines.
    taihus and LordQ like this.
  14. Zako248

Zako248 New Member

This has my vote.
  15. cthulhukid

cthulhukid New Member

Here is a crap illustration of what I was talking about in my earlier post.

I imagine the Phoenix would be wreathed in flames (and possibly have eyes cut out of the silhouette), the dead bird would be reduced in size, the stars under the wings would be smaller (but possibly more numerous), the exploding planet would be emphasized in importance and have crisper edges and contrast, the "comets" would be thicker strokes (but possibly with a more unified pattern ... possibly with a significance we could conceive of later).

I leave the cleanup to professionals who are interested. :cool:

Phoenix.jpg

Attached Files:

Kuurczak likes this.
  16. elipadden

elipadden New Member

Or it could be like a hologram of it like they have in star wars. just a thought
  17. Nahtonaj

Nahtonaj Member

Some rules to keep in mind while brainstorming: keep it simple and easily recognizable. A symbol is supposed to mean something too so don't forget that.

Incorporating stars would be ideal for PA as would a planet. An eagle is desirable because it is a strong symbol and can be customized also. Not to mention the devs mentioned they wanted an eagle clutching a planet. I have come up with a aesthetically pleasing concept. I have used the source pictures of Lordxanos and Azirahael to create my rough concept. Thanks to them for their artful talent.

The planet I have left blank. The eagle's forward facing eyes focus on the planet, strong imagery. Planet is clutched by its claws, wings spread around it and stars around the eagle's head give a more starry feel and draws the picture into a deeper sense that there is more than just that one planet. Feel free to work off this. This is rough! Colors are as they are to set off different elements and the shapes are rudimentary also. Azirahael's sharp design and Lordxanos' bold design fit perfectly for PA in my opinion.

upload_2013-9-21_1-55-12.png
    Last edited: September 21, 2013
  18. therandomosity

therandomosity New Member

Combine this with the original eagle and world idea. Have a flaming phoenix with it's wings spread carrying a world, maybe have the world look a little burnt and have ash falling off.
  19. luner

luner New Member

Just throwing it out there, Mechanical eagle sitting on a robo skull.
  20. glinkot

glinkot Active Member

I liked the red one. Eagle is an interesting idea though I'm not sure why robots would be drawn to it. Do eagles exist in this universe? There is no incidental wildlife about on the planets to suggest it would be important to the robots.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.