For Backers Only: Faction #1 Symbol Thread

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by BradNicholson, September 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. naugrim

naugrim New Member

I think phoenix is more appropriate too, rising from the ashes (quite literally!), etc.

This is awesome!
  2. Flamester

Flamester New Member

Sorry for the competition lordxanos, but I already had this made when I saw yours.

Symbol2.png
  3. asgo

asgo Member

sounds like star trek ;)
    [​IMG]
  4. LordQ

LordQ Active Member

Wowzers, what a lovely gold pattern. I like it. I'd be interested in seeing how it stands up if miniaturised to an 'icon' size.
  5. Azirahael

Azirahael Member

What about something like this:
    [​IMG]
    Y'know, in case the nazi/roman imagery is a bit much.

Metal it up a bit, and make it one planet instead of two, and you're there.
  6. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Looks kinda Romulan.

I like it.
    eroticburrito and archcommander like this.
  7. ucsgolan

ucsgolan Member

Personally I do not want to see whole eagle but a talon clutching a planet only.
  8. blizzox

blizzox New Member

so yea, im not super art inclined, but i had this doodle in my head i dont know if people will like it because its filled with symbolism, the fasces to denote the guys leadership, the infinity symbol to make it clear he doesnt want 1 or 2 planets etc, the eagle in the spread looking down way grasping both the infinity symbol and the fasces... i dunno its just a doodle, people can expand on it for all i care.

i cant post the image because i am new, if someone could post behind me with my image that would be nice, here's the link "delinkified"

dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1415325/afbeeldingen/space%20romans.fw.png
  9. Azirahael

Azirahael Member

@igncom1: Yup, it's Romulan, which is totally sane, when you think about it.

I mean, they got their iconography from the same place: teh Romanz.

I'm not too worried, as long as i can add my own damn logo to my army.

Shouldn't be too hard.
  10. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Not really too bothered by what the logo will be itself as long as its not on a flag... puny fabric isn't appropriate. Carve it into the metal husk of a defeated enemy and carry that around. Also has the advantage of working on airless planets or lava planets with a temperature over the ignition point of fabric.
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  11. sgtglory

sgtglory New Member

So them being machines, I think if you're going the more stylized Roman route with the flag, you might consider adding some filigree around the planet or Eagle, but have it be in the style of something the machines would recognize: circuit diagrams. Or maybe even olive wreath with a subtle circuitry theme.
  12. avoler

avoler New Member

Fabric? Carved into Metal?
    Make it a giant hologram illuminating the whole Planet!

I really like the Picture from lordxanos. Maybe two colors to make the Planet more visible?
    plannihilator, lordxanos and sgtglory like this.
  13. sgtglory

sgtglory New Member

That. Is. Brilliant.
  14. Siggmund

Siggmund New Member

This is FANTASTIC. The typical "Eagle Standard", depicting an aviform standing on top of something or clutching it beneath, though traditional, is kinda played out... I like how this position not only suggests a protection over a world, but also has a secondary interpretation of Engulfing, if the world depicted is considered to be an enemy one. In addition, the effective use of straight lines and simple shapes is perfectly in line with the PA agenda... Just looking at it I was immediately reminded of the old CORE and ARM symbols from Total Annihilation. It adds an air of efficiency and ruggedness to the design which reminds the viewer that, regardless of their personal factional beliefs, the primary mode of combat is to mass produce units by the bucketoad. There isn't time to engrave a picture of an eagle on there... instead, this rough-cut representation fills its purpose AND is quick to add.

If nothing else, I hope that Uber uses a similar art style to this one for all of the faction symbols... straight lines and simple shapes.
    lordxanos likes this.
  15. lordxanos

lordxanos Member

I tried more colors and it just looked chaotic, I'd have to refine the art for it to really function multi-color.

also I had the thought, What if the first empire to rise had a super simple abstract symbol and the empires formed later had more developed looking flags due to their greater collective knowledge.
  16. thedrofevil

thedrofevil New Member

I did some research and the symbol of a lizard in Ancient Roman culture represented death and resurrection, as the lizard was thought to sleep throughout the winter. Which to me seems absolutely perfect for the lore. I can just imagine the commander powering online and searching his memory core to find the meaning of resurrection.

[​IMG]

An extra addition I did to the symbol, is make the lizard blind. This is to represent the faction's lack of knowledge of the universe, as if they are 'going in blind' to the fight.

Anyway the logo itself could do with being a bit more angular and needs a bit of refining, however I do think the lizard wrapping itself around a world could be a very interesting symbol for this faction.
  17. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

Symbol should be the Terminator t800 skull. :).

Who knows maybe skynet was the reason for all this many many many millia ago.
    iron420 likes this.
  18. tauceti

tauceti New Member

Just throwing an idea out there, but what about having the bird crushing the planet?
    donraul likes this.
  19. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

FYG, forum BBcode uses square brackets. E.g.:

Code:
    [i]text[/i]
  20. lockjaw

lockjaw New Member

The Lion, The Wolf, and The Horse were all big Roman symbols apart from the Eagle; so the people who think the Eagle is a bit too Americanised and over-used (myself included) then the Wolf or Lion would be in particular would represent a kick-*** symbol (unless you think the Lion is too British, in which case choose the Wolf, everyone likes Wolfs.)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.