For Backers Only: Faction #1 Symbol Thread

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by BradNicholson, September 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. microwavelazer

microwavelazer Member

Just Throwing Ideas around but since this is a race of robots I am very much a fan gray and Metallic look rather then a colorful one. I also am very much a fan of the bird facing forward rather then looking to the side.
    Bird.png
  2. luckywaldo7

luckywaldo7 New Member

This is excellent, imho, currently the best submission by far.

The only possible limit is how small it needs to go and still be visually distinct.
    lordxanos likes this.
  3. omega9002

omega9002 New Member

I like the idea of a Phoenix seems fitting to me maybe instead of a eagle it could be a Phoenix rising out of a burning planet with SPQR across the bottom.
  4. thepyro13

thepyro13 Member

It's a bit farther out from the eagle but I think a laurel on it's own would look better, and fit better with the lore(I feel that it represents arrogance and pride better than an eagle, and is more heavily tied with roman nobility and military). It's easier to work into their places too, such as the flat areas on factories or the commander. You can have it surround a planet as well.
    [​IMG]
    archcommander and donraul like this.
  5. skizziknz

skizziknz New Member

How about the three crossed lightning bolts?

Wont let me post an image but I always associated that with Rome.
  6. taihus

taihus Member

To everyone suggesting a phoenix: please remember that we are supposed to be working on old Roman imagery here. In this case an eagle would be much more appropriate, and it is useful to remember that the eagle has been used as a symbol by many world and would-be superpowers ever since Rome. I'd have to agree that an eagle gripping a world shows a lack of ambition, something like a star or even a stylized spiral galaxy would be better. However, considering their background information, I'd say that an eagle perched on a Scutum (tower shield) which is covered with a spiral galaxy design would be my suggestion.
  7. FlandersNed

FlandersNed Member

Good logo.
    The phoenix is even more appropriate, since, according to the lore, the head commander literally rose from the 'ashes' of a nuclear detonation.
  8. Devak

Devak Post Master General

I'm fine with an eagle and a planet, but can we please keep it "this is robots after nuclear war" and instill some PA into it?

I like the hawk with the laurel wrealth. However, can we make it more appropriate by making it, say, look like the sun's surface? or two streaks of meteors about to impact a planet? or something, i don't know, makes you think THIS IS PA AND IT'S AWESOME.
  9. xivai

xivai New Member

I think the eagle should be mechanical.
    bovinovino likes this.
  10. KyneSilverhide

KyneSilverhide New Member

I like the idea of the eagle (or at least "bird") and the planets.

An other suggestion would be a robot face, sideways, with laurels. But it may be a bit too much 2nd degree :)
  11. tbthegr81

tbthegr81 New Member

An eagle? Rly?
    Way to overused... Also, >>Global Defence Initative

No, somethin more abstract like Core and Arm used...
    skogsvaktarn likes this.
  12. Tontow

Tontow Active Member

I wonder what an eagle that was converted to a commander would look like? and then have that clutching a metal world.
  13. redhellion

redhellion New Member

What about a golden eagle with a thin white border contained within a red circle, with another thin white border around that and a gold gear around the outside.
    Eagle for the Roman Empire, red planet for their homeworld, and the gear for their mechanical form?

I would do up something quick in Photoshop, but my computer was recently reformatted and I have yet to reinstall it.
    fingerzprime likes this.
  14. bentusiii

bentusiii New Member

That is awesome
  15. plannihilator

plannihilator Member

The problem is that the Eagle has been used and abused: Roman Empire, Holy Roman Empire (Germany), Napoleonic Eagle (France), American Eagle, and more infamously: the Nazi Eagle banner with a svastika in its talons.

I'd like to see Laurels around a Galaxy or a red Planet,
    Or BroadSword & Tower Shield (the rectangle shield with stylized lightning bolts from center to corner on a red background).
  16. bluejam

bluejam New Member

This is excellent, gets my vote!

I'd also check if any of the ones that look more traditional would be ok for the german release of the game, as we know the Nazi's based much of their iconography on Roman legion symbols, such as the eagle and grass crown, so I'd make sure it doesn't look too 20th century. This futuristic version is great :)
  17. skogsvaktarn

skogsvaktarn New Member

This. Exactly.
  18. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I'd prefer an ostrich. If in doubt, submerge head in ground and pretend it's not happening..
  19. kayzor

kayzor New Member

This is the best one, by far. I didn't like the overly militaristic feel for a group that is obviously 'scared' of the Progenitors. This symbol makes it feel more like they're 'protecting' their righteous belief and freedom, feels much better than the grasping symbol as described by the story.

I believe it shapes them much better as a faction this way, although it should be simplified a tad more if possible.
    lordxanos likes this.
  20. LordQ

LordQ Active Member

The way I see it, the Eagle has a rich history of use by powerful empires throughout history. I could see someone looking to uphold this tradition... on a galactic scale.
    bluejam likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.