For Backers Only: Faction #1 Leader Naming Poll

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by BradNicholson, September 20, 2013.

?

What Should Faction #1's Leader Name Be?

1. Terminus

386 vote(s)
    24.0%
  2. Scipio

258 vote(s)
    16.0%
  3. Dominus

376 vote(s)
    23.4%
  4. Invictus

589 vote(s)
    36.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hanspeterschnitzel

hanspeterschnitzel Active Member

^ Win.
  2. mordyscott

mordyscott New Member

I like Terminus and Dominus. Terminus as a reference to the roman god of borders and ending things (a nice ominous sound for a name) and Dominus referring to master and fits his ambition
  3. lordbritish

lordbritish New Member

Scipio sounds like a good name but it's the human/robot debate; how 'alive' are these robots? How much do they remember from previous civilisation? How likely are they to adopt old characteristics or fabricate new ones? Hard to say this early on.
    Terminus is a cool name but would perhaps be more fitting for a locale or maybe even an event. Boundaries/limits aren't something I'd associate with an arrogant, proud leader anyway.
    Dominus is another strong challenger. It's more commonly used as a title according to some brief web searches and is a name I approve of.
    HOWEVER: Imagining John Patrick Lowrie uttering the name Invictus gives me goosebumps. I love it! The traits of invincibility line up nicely with the Proud nature of the leader. Nothing more fitting in my humble opinion.
    Grimseff likes this.
  4. karnaloth

karnaloth New Member

Invictus hands down :)
  5. asgo

asgo Member

in a way I have to agree, sometimes I have to remind me that they aren't just vehicles like in Battletech for example.
    The latter would be an easier fit for the naming, emblems etc.

But names are easier to pronounce than bar-codes. ;)
  6. supremebashar

supremebashar New Member

How about "Omnius"?
    It's like all-knowing of omnipotent.
    rorschachphoenix likes this.
  7. Jandor

Jandor New Member

However this all goes I think in my head he will always be "Dominus Invictus of the Pax Machina!" Mainly because I think it roughly translates as 'Master Invincible of the Peace Machines!"
    omega9002 likes this.
  8. sanwiichess

sanwiichess New Member

Ill stay with "invictus" i just sounds the coolest to me
  9. Devak

Devak Post Master General

In my opinion, a machine picking a name is like us naming ships. It has a logical code, and a name to give it identity. Codes would be generated by the thousands every second: their race can whip up armies in no-time and so the logical code system would not be very satisfying.

So, in a world where armies are created and destroyed like nobody's buisness, i would say they pick names to give something identity. And with limited memory, meaningful names are scarce and thus a sign of great accomplishment, power and importance.

In that case, i would say Dominus or Invictus are too war-oriented (since i picked Pax Machina as their faction name).

Scipio doesn't really ring a bell.

Terminus was also the name of a roman boundary stone. Given that this guy is the leader of a faction, i would think he is the "boundary stone" of their faction.

Though i still prefer Aurelius
    omega9002 likes this.
  10. z32

z32 New Member

I rather like Dominus, just because of its theological/pagan background and the fact that it's less personal (Dominus feels like a title more than a name, so it makes the character more moldable to the player's imagination; you aren't Dominus, you are THE Dominus). Invictus just seems so... generic. Everything with a latin theme has the phrase thrown in somewhere, and Terminus just seems like dime-novel 60' scifi, outdated and cliche.
  11. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

I voted Scipio, but I think Maximus is greater. (see what I did there;))
  12. cne9979

cne9979 New Member

Being of Roman influence I think it should be Omega
  13. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

xD Invictus makes me think of ultra marines in warhammer 40k (Captain Uriel Victus, and yes i know that invictus and victus have very different meanings, but still).

If that name is choosen the faction will forever be nicknamed the Ultra Bots, hmm basicly if they use roman based names at all il most likely call them the Ultra Bots xD
  14. omega9002

omega9002 New Member

Oi thats my name!
  15. l3tuce

l3tuce Active Member

I voted Invictus, but Terminus is cool too.
  16. pantsburgh

pantsburgh Active Member

Invictus sounds too much like it belongs in a W40k game. I would prefer any of the others.
  17. DeathToARM

DeathToARM New Member

There is a giant mecha in 40k the named Invictus, Warlord-class Titan Invictus from the Space Marine game. unftitled.png
  18. alantoner

alantoner New Member

The poem was enough to convince me.
    LordQ likes this.
  19. LordQ

LordQ Active Member

alantoner likes this.
  20. johhnybquik

johhnybquik New Member

As a fan of Roman history I can't understand how Scipio has the least votes. :>
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.