For Backers Only: Faction #1 Leader Naming Poll

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by BradNicholson, September 20, 2013.

?

What Should Faction #1's Leader Name Be?

1. Terminus

386 vote(s)
    24.0%
  2. Scipio

258 vote(s)
    16.0%
  3. Dominus

376 vote(s)
    23.4%
  4. Invictus

589 vote(s)
    36.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

I think the use of Caesar is a little too cliche.

Allusion to the Roman Empire is awesome. Blantant fanboying over it isn't.
    scelestus likes this.
  2. scelestus

scelestus New Member

I like Terminus. The mix up of "the end/final point" with his brand new empire just starting out ("The First Empire") rings of "...the Alpha and the Omega".
    Sexy.
    Grimseff likes this.
  3. omega9002

omega9002 New Member

YAY a Asimov fan!! those are so rare! anyway not only is it the name of the planet it's Latin for frontier, Border or limit and since the commander is supposed to be the strongest of the robots (since he woke up first and leads them) he would be the Limt of there strenth or at least and the Border of it and his rebooting first makes him kinda of the pioneer of the new robot empire Frontier.
    limit
  4. skizziknz

skizziknz New Member

5. tsvogh

tsvogh New Member

Voted for Invictus too. It means "undefeated" after all. Even though they obviously lost a battle, the faction is rising from it's ashes once again, thus it remains undefeated and I believe that Invictus is a proper name for a commander of such faction.
  6. xivai

xivai New Member

Scipio would be great.
  7. svip

svip Member

I totally thought the eagle reference was a Holy Roman Empire reference, so I would have suggested 'Charlemagne' for a leader's name. I know, I know, Charlemagne did not technically establish the Holy Roman Empire, but merely the Frankish Empire, which Eastern part would eventually become the Holy Roman Empire.
  8. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

I love the idea of the commander getting frustrated when he was knitting the banner.
  9. guzwaatensen

guzwaatensen Active Member

I think Scipio has the benefit of being a roman reference and sounding like CPO which would fit with machine naming and could be an acronym for a lot of interesting things...
    Maybe even something latin, i didn't have latin in school, but i'm sure you could construct something with that initials that would mean progenitor killer (Cimico Progenii Orbium)(pardon my fake latin)
  10. kattelars

kattelars New Member

That, however, would be really close to C3PO, and that's not very easy to take seriously, not for me anyway :/
  11. plannihilator

plannihilator Member

Alternate proposition: TRAJAN.
    I actually don't like the sound of Scipio,
    Dominus (master) is my best bet,
    Terminus sounds like Asimov or worse, Transformers, and has no roman meaning ( final train station ? )
    Invictus, well, sounds like an Eastwood movie, however cool is the meaning in latin (Unvanquished)
  12. bluejam

bluejam New Member

Augustus or Vespasian would have been my choice as two of the more fascinating emperors, but went for Dominus as I can imagine the legions of troops saying his name with reverence seeing as we're talking Lore :)
  13. guzwaatensen

guzwaatensen Active Member

Uhhh, now that you mention it, even more reason to vote for Scipio :p
  14. infowars

infowars Member

I voted for Invictus, because here's the dealy: I originally wanted scipo (as in Scipo Africanus, the general that finally defeated Hannibal) but, that's not entirely relevant for a pew pew lasergun RTS, although I'm sure it'll be good name for another popular RTS game out at the moment.

Invictus means undefeated, right? Good name. Now, if you don't mind me, I'll go back to lurking until the retail of the game is out, and then look forward to the final product because at the time I was poor and only gave the bare minimum for a digital download.

On a related note, I really hope this shows the game industry that if you have a cool idea, you don't need a publisher to get the necessary funds. Another game (star citizen) I am following closely, but as the release date for that is not until somewhere in 2015 I've not backed it, you guys however are showing real progress and frankly I'm surprised so much can get done so quickly. Keep at it, really looking forward to a polished product and another sequel to Total Annihlation, my favourite RTS of all time.
  15. kattelars

kattelars New Member

xD
  16. Devak

Devak Post Master General

Can i ask for an option Aurelius?
    (means something like "the radiant" )

Bonus points if he's Uber-orange.
  17. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Probably just keep calling him the Imperial Commander anyways.
    Names are a bit too... human for my tastes.
  18. diremachine

diremachine New Member

I had to go with Invictus. Terminus is okay, but doesn't much sound like a name for an individual. I like Scipio for the cultural reference, but I don't much care for it as the name of the leader of great army; phonetically it conjures a very different image.

Dominus makes sense as a title, but if we're going to have lore saying, "Ah, yes, I remember my name is [blank]," it doesn't make much sense for it to have been Dominus. It works now, but the fiction alludes to the fact that he was not the leader before. Taking continuity into account, Invictus actually becomes very interesting for its irony. The undefeated was clearly defeated, and it alludes to the fact that all of these leaders are not going to be infallible - we obviously have to be able to win when fighting this faction.
  19. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

I know that, it's both a reference to Caesar, the first dictator of Rome, the various (often powerful) Russian leaders throughout history, as well as the CZAR, an experimental flying saucer from SupCom.
  20. christopher1006

christopher1006 Member

Scipio so long as the progenitor world is called Carthage.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.